Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
I've seen lights like these on the road from Huelva to Ayamonte, I think the idea is to slow the traffic down and they may have been radar controlled or at least timed. So if you approach at the right speed they will change before you get to them but if you are speeding you'll get a red. And I've seen a set in Germany that do the same with a built in crossing and causes the same risk!
The lights you're referring to, Steve, are normally found on the approach to smaller rural villages and are purely a traffic calming measure,and an effective one at that, but the ones on the Avenida in Lagos are all associated with light-controlled pedestrian crossings and pose a serious danger to anyone crossing when the green man's not showing.
We have a set of these 'traffic calming' lights here in Pateo, at at crossing They often go red when no-one has pressed the button and are totallly ignored by 90% of drivers unless they see someone waiting to cross.

There are at least two other sets nearby and these are likewise ignored when red. They even go red when I cycle up to them!

As Sagres says, be careful when crossing, as the green man often means 'it is slightly less dangerous to cross than when the red man was showing' as at a crossroads etc traffic can be allowed to make a turn 'against the lights'.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.