Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
:welcome to the forums PinkNinja. I haven't been to this area so can't help you but hopefully someone will be along soon with some advice :tup
Garda to me is the best compromise, nice town, good walk to next town,the start of the beautiful views as the lake narrows, not up one end and a direct way out to the motorway for Venice or Verona. A ferry stop for the lake trips. Not riva del garda, very nice but up one end
Thank you for your suggestion. I was researching a bit more and was leaning towards Malcesine because that town seemed in the middle between Riva and Limone. We don't like very touristy areas. Would Garda still be the better option?

Also would renting a car be better than taking the train?
Malcesini would be my second choice, both on the touristy side even september/october, both loverly towns, probably Garda is just a bit easier to get out of from the distance point of veiw. Sorry cant help about the trains as we had a transfer from Verona airport and that is another town well worth visiting
No, I really appreciate the feedback. I sometimes forget that I have a 14 month old and traveling easily should be my first priority. It's not so easy with a baby. Especially if we do day trips, Verona included, Garda would probably be the better option. Would you have any hotel recommendations for either towns?
We stayed about 2 miles out of Malcesini at the hotel Drogo, fine but not very convenient for the town. Hotel Astoria in Garda , great position on the lake side. I don't know how to describe it ,I think homely and local suits it ,we were with several nice people so really enjoyed it and would go back but not a modern hotel. Also my remarks are from an older person which could have a different perspective than a younger one
Hi Pinkninja
I agree with Shrimper the southern end of the lake would be best for you as you only have a few days.
Garda Town and Bardolino are lovely little towns on the eastern side. Both equally gorgeous and laid back
It is only about a 45 minute walk between the two along the lakeside path.
Bardolino has a couple of childrens playgrounds for your toddler and a little train which runs around the town. Good fun.
Both towns have lots of hotels to choose from.I have stayed in Hotel Color in Bardolino and hotels Villa Madrina and Regina Adelaide in Garda. All great 4* and Hotel Bisesti a 3* but that was 16yrs ago so not sure what it's like now.
All have pools which is a must for us after hot days sightseeing.
Verona is only about 40 mins away and Venice another hour or so by road.
Hiring a car would be much easier for you but beware Italian drivers are mad.
Happy hols.
We stayed at the Caesius, just south of Bardolino (http://www.hotelcaesiusterme.com/) which was lovely. Malcesine is nice too but probably too far up the lake for a couple of days.
Great suggestions from you all! It is very much appreciated!

I'm having a tough time trying to decide on Garda or Bardolino! Just by looking at the photos on Google Images, I'm leaning towards Garda because it looks like there are less boats (not sure if that is really the case) but it also looks like it's more picturesque with the mountain backdrop.

Thoughts?
As the lake narrows the mountains get bigger and prettier the walk between the two is very nice which ever you choose
I'm sure it is, I know that it is not fair to try and rate such beautiful towns but I also want to try and get the most I can get with our time!

We will be flying into Milan and then either training it or hiring a car to the Lake Garda region. Does it make sense to stay one night in Milan? We arrive in Milan at 8:30am on a Friday. I was thinking maybe do one day in Milan that Friday and then head over to the Lake Garda region Saturday late morning. We have to be in Venice the following Wednesday.
Sorry I cant help with Milan as I have only gone arouind it but if you go to Lake Garda from Milan by car It may be worth calling at Sirmone as you go pass it , probable the best part of that end
PinkNinja.
I love Milan and it is well worth spending a day there.
You can book a Milan walking and bus tour including a viewing of Leonardo Da Vinci's last supper in the refectory of Santa Maria della Grazie. An awesome experience.
You may feel none of this is suitable for your toddler but just wandering without the pressure of a tour is well worth doing. The Duomo is so beautiful and in my opinion riavals St Peters in Rome.
Sirmione looks so magical! You don't recommend just staying there instead of Garda or Bardolino?
Thanks holidaylover, we are definitely going to stay the night in Milan!
Staying in Sirmone would probably be good as a town but I would miss the hills and Mountains and scenery, the lake is very big that end
Sirmione gets far too crowded during the day, it's probably the most visited destination for day trippers. Almost every boat arriving at the town will be packed with sightseers, plus coach day tours operated by various tour companies.

I live just a few hours drive from the lake and have stayed at many of it's different resorts over the years and I would recommend either Garda or Bardolino for families.
Thank you all! You have all been so helpfun and wonderful and I really appreciate everyone's advice!
You'll be better off at the southern end and I'd agree that Bardolino or Garda would be better than Sirmione for a more peaceful holiday.

You'll also find that the southern end is better for boat trips to other southern towns but not for Limoné, Rive, Torbolé and Malcésine.

Trips across the lake can be expensive and take a long time but even though Sirmione is busy I would still make the effort to get there and allow yourself a long day.

The other must see destination is on the other, western, side of the lake and that's Saló. Allow 90 minutes to get there but it is the most stunning trip at the southern end and the town is delightful.

When your family are older then is the time to do the northern end of the lake. Plenty of water related sports to partake in there that young teenagers would enjoy.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.