Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
lalyssos rhodes
12 Posts
An area inland of Ixia. I stayed at Les Cocotiers which was listed as being in Ilyassos only 5 mins from Ixia beach.
Just got back from Ialyssos. The tourist area is called Trianda or Trianta. The town is typical Greek. Head down towards the beach (left at crossroads, coming from airport) This is where all the shops, tavernas and bars are. About 400M down this road take the left fork. This is the main tourist area. Or carry straight on to some nice tavernas, a few expensive bars and the beach.
We found the place to be very expensive for food and drink. In our opinion the food was generally poor quality aimed at tourists. This was the same generally all over Rhodes. Looks good but cheap! Locals are very friendly. Beware, Rhodes is no longer a cheap destination, mainly due to the Euro and the poor exchange rate.
Taxi to Rhodes Town was E10.
If you need to hire a car do it on the net before you go or go to one of the local offices ( we used Galaxy Car Hire), Hols company wanted E135 for three days, we paid E90.
I wish I had this much info before we went, didn't find a lot of these places till late in the holiday due to the rep only being interested in selling trips!!
PS. The general area is grubby, lots of unfinished buildings, pavements etc. Rubbish everywhere.
To J Cooper. I take exception to your comments about food on Rhodes. You have made just one post to this forum. Have you been to Rhodes more than once ? We have been going for 16 years on & off as visitors. Next year we retire to Rhodes.We have had superb meals all over the island.Not Ixia or Trianda though.Maybe its just there the food is poor.
Wow what negative remarks from jcooper. We went to rhodes for the first time in august , staying in rhodes town , we walked into ixia along the coast, and onto trianda , and loved everything we saw . we didn't find it that expensive, the meals we had in restaurants were very nice and upto standard that we would expect back home . We dont drive so cant comment on prices for car hire .
As for rubbish i didn't see any more than what you would see here in the Uk with people fly tipping , but as for litter then i would have to say the whole island is spotless, no takeaway containers all over the place , even after a night out . As for being expensive, we done what we wanted too booked boat trips to Lindos , and over to Symi took taxi's from hotel to commercial harbour dined and wined and still came home from 2 weeks holiday with euro's and not needing to exchange any english money.
i will certainly return to rhodes and recommend to others .
Bravo Llindy!Rhodes is a little more expensive now due to the strength of the euro but certainly not over-priced. It's a beautiful island with lovely people. I wonder what some people expect?
Well if jcooper thinks Trianda is expensive how would he/she cope in Lindos or Rhodes Old Town!

It's each to their own i guess and we're all entitled to our opinion though i'd say this poster's views are DEFINITELY in the minority. Of course food will be aimed at tourists in a tourist resort, i think that goes without saying though i've had some very good meals in such establishments. Vrachos, in a converted windmill, down by the sea is lovely and if you want more traditional taverna fayre head into the more residential area on the opposite side of the traffic lights - a great place for dinner there (near the Spa supermarket).

Anyway getting back to the original question - Ialyssos is an area, so could be Trianda or Ixia which are both resorts on the West coast of the island. Both resorts have good facilities with plenty of restaurants, bars, supermarkets and are pleasant enough, if a little tired in parts (certainly not grubby with rubbish everywhere!). That said they are an excellent base for exploring Rhodes Town which, from some areas of Ixia is in walking distance or a short bus/taxi ride away. Being on the West coast there is always a cooling breeze which is a godsend in the height of the summer but early/late season make sure you take a light jacket or cardigan for the evenings.
An opinion was asked for and that is what I gave. If the readers of this forum only want to hear good things then stick to reading tour operator descriptions. As for tpebop taking exception to my comments on the food, chillout, we all expect and get different levels of service. As I said it was just my opinion. If anyone should take exception maybe it should be the proprieters of the establishments we used, not a fellow traveller who has different tastes.
The fact that my first post was savaged in such an unfair way, will ensure that it is my last effort to help on a forum frequented by such a narrow minded group of users.
WARNING
Come on Play Fair... you are all members and entitled to your opinions PLEASE do not get confrontational with those whom you disagree

yasus
wizard
You gave your honest opinion , and thats fair enough. I was surprised that you saw the island different to how we saw it . I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your holiday , and hope it hasn't put you off visiting another of the greek islands . Where did you stay and have you put review . Sorry if i offended you in anyway with my reply .
Thanks Moderator.
Thanks Llindy for understanding the spirit of the reply. We stayed in Ialsoss, Trianda. An apartment about 1.5K from town. It was on the main road to the airport. This meant walking along the busy, dirty road, on half built pavements and past rubbish piles. We also visited, Rhodes town old amd new. Lindos, Kremasti, Afandou and various small beaches. We ate at all of these places. Yes I have visited : Zante, Cyprus, Crete (twice), Kalymnos, Kos and mainland Greece. Unfortunately the last visit was about 7 years ago. I am thinking that this may be the reason for the dissapointment with the prices and quality. The Greek people are all very friendly as you must know. They told us how the Euro has pushed up prices and that tourist levels have dropped. Also the travel company monopolies have pushed down the cut to the hotel owners so they are all cutting corners. This time we were looking for a cheap last minute holiday. In actual fact, with spending money it cost the same as the cruise we did earlier in the year!! This was for a 2/3* self catering holiday. Hence my opinion.

Cheers
A Good honest review, Jcooper. I found Trianda a touch on the grotty side last year with all the rubbish heaped up, I turned back to Ixia & enjoyed the 'basic' family run & family friendly accommodation Greece & their Islands are famous for.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.