Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Hi everyone sorry to have been so long responding major PC problems which are hopefully now resolved.
Maggie we fly to Langkawi on 6/12 returning 28/12 and we are staying at the Holiday Villa. Must admit I will still miss Goa its like a drug and I'm already planning a return in 2007/8 (unless Malaysia can do the same for me!)
Been reading up quite a bit on the island and am a bit concerned that the evenings aren't going to be as relaxed as Goa (dress wise I mean) can anyone help with that one
Thanks everyone for your replies and hope Maggie Rach and myself enjoy Langkawi!!
From what I recall people in the restaurants and bars round where you are seemed fairly relaxed, in the hotels people tend to dress a little smarter of an evening. I always wear long trousers of an evening anyhow so its never an issue for me.
just returned and have to say it was a truly beautiful island but oh how I wish we had only gone for a week. I felt it was almost without any soul - if that makes sense I'm sure it will to Goa fans.....Are my fellow Goa fans back yet? if so what are there feelings. I know where I'll be goaing next year (for a change) I agree that the cable car should not be missed nor the marine park and island hopping. The restaraunts all served good food and we had no complaints about the Holiday Villa where we stayed
I have to admit that Langkawi is somewhere I would go to for part of a holiday- twinning it with somewhere more lively. It does look beautiful though.
It is a dramatically beautiful island, I can't denie that , as I said it was our mistake to stay on such a tiny place for the 3 weeks!!! Roll on next year.................
Three weeks...I would have hopped on a plane and spent a few nights in KL or Singapore just to break the holiday up. To be honest tourism in all the parts of Malaysia I've been too is very low key...Penang being about the livliest. If you think Langkawi's quiet then don't even consider Pangkor. :)
how did it compare to Goa with day to day costs?
Slightly more expensive but most things were of superior quality!! ie Carlsberg, Hienekin lager as opposed to Kings or Kingfisher and Gordons gin as opposed to Gilbys.
The food was mostly chinese style of everything (including Indian curries) steaks, seafood and malay food readily available and on par with the cost of Goa. Taxis slightly more expensive £11 for a 3 hour tour whereas in Goa we could hire one for the day for that amount.
The prices in the hotel of the food and drink were as in Goa far far more expensive that outside and the food nowhere near as fresh/good (lots of buffet style).
One thing I will say is that after a couple of weeks in Goa we usually get a dodgy tummy nothing too bad just an upset, this didn't occur in Malaysia and we are wondering if it is because we had to have air con (which we never have in Goa) our bodies were being given a chance to cool down every night and my husband usually suffers from a sun allergy rash after a couple of days (for which he takes a mild steroid for a few days and it clears up) this didnt occur either. I'd be interested in hearing other forum members comments
Happy New Year to you Fiona and all the forum members
although we were in Penang a few years ago now- it was really cheap to eat out and the food was fabulous. I could never understand why anyone would want to eat in their hotel all the time. Penang is definitely a lot busier than Langkawi. I will may be get to Langkawi sometime but probably as a twin or multi-destination. You must have found the hotels to be a better quality than Goa??
Happy New year to you too( and hopefully you'll continue to post :D )
not having stayed in an hotel in Goa for the last 6 years it would probably be unfair to comment -- but yes Ive never seen a hotel as good as these in Goa
Hey goanluv, where did u stay in langkawi?
We stayed for two weeks 27th dec on and loved the place.
But we were lookin for a quiet, relaxing holiday.
We hired a scooter and saw the whole island, did the cablecar, seven wells, underwarter world, croc farm and shopping.
Our hotel was in a real quiet location, beautiful beach (no sellers-a plus on Goa) , our cabana was very well equiped, good air con, like you we didn't suffer with usual upset tummy that we normally expect in Goa. Breakfast was amazing in comparison to Goan hotels toast and tea jobs. Omlettes, fried or scrambled eggs, pancakes and waffles to order, full breakfast, malaysian style options, fresh fruits, yoghurts, cereals, toast, pastries, breads etc etc. We ate in a few places that were on par with Goa prices (still slightly more expensive ) but most of our meals were considerably more expensive than Goa but equally more enjoyable........seafood in particular was better (in my opinion).
It perhaps all depends on what u expect from your holiday and what you are willing to pay.
To be honest Goa doesn't appeal as much to me anymore..........the hassle isn't worth the cheaper holiday....... it's getting more expensive and less attractive............ the type of peolpe Goa's attracting now and in the future (18 - 30's) are spoiling what once was a cheap, cultural retreat. Thats my opinion anyway!:shock: :shock:
We are off to Sri lanka in July. :D
Rach 9 sorry for delay in replying... Think I'd prefer the odd bout of tummy trouble and Goa than returning to Langkawi - definately not my type of place - too hotel bound.. But everyone is different thank goodness. We stayed at the Holiday Villa which was quite busy but mainly short term visitors doing tours . Absolutely no complaints about the hotel although we didnt eat there prefering to go out and about for all our meals. Had a couple of wonderful sessions in the spa better massage than in Goa definately preferred that but not worth returning for. Incidentally Goa is booked for December 2007 for 4 weeks staying 2 North and 2 South
Cheers
Lyn x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.