General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Lap top
21 Posts
Hi Chris,it has to go in hand luggage as it has to go through the x-ray machine,seperately.
Hi Chris ... you may find more useful info in our Hand Luggage Q&As topic, which you can access via the link below.

David :wave
Hi Chris,it has to go in hand luggage as it has to go through the x-ray machine,seperately.

Poor Chris,

I wonder who will be carrying the kids laptops around the airport for 2 hours :(

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Shell, i appreciate your sympathy :(
Having to go through screening separately isn't the main reason they have to go in hand baggage, the main reason is that they are not covered by insurance in hold baggage. You should never put valuables in hold baggage.

luci :wave
We only take one laptop between us just so we can put all pictures on to laptop everyday rather than wanting to take a picture and finding memory card full in camera! We take ours in hand luggage, such a pain carrying it around though because your hand luggage bag can't be as big my laptop is we have to try and squeeze it in somewhere which makes it impossible to get anything out our bags! grrrrrr! :duh

CourtneeLouise x
chrisweaving wrote:
Where do you put your laptop when you go on holiday?

In my locked cupboard at home normally!!

Darren
Good point Dazbo makes; few,if any, room safes abroad,are big enuf to store a laptop,let alone two - so you have the problem of where to put them during the day. If you don't lock them up (and in a suitcase won't count)nsurance cover will be invalid. (unless you have them with you all day!!!) I bought my wife a cheap netbook to use when on holiday knowing that it will fit in most safety deposit boxes.
We just bought a Blackberry playbook,it is nearly as good as an I-pad but was on offer at PC World.We're taking that with us this year,our teenage son has one too so we can video call him or "speak" to him on face book.It's only 7inches so will even fit in my handbag,it was such a pain with the laptop last year,we had to "hide" it in our case,invalidating any insurance cover.
My friends just bought her husband the Blackberry Play for his birthday. I had to look it up on the net as I hadn't a clue what it was. Am such a techno nerd :(
I think it's great,it can be used as an e-reader too,it has an app for kobi,we won't be using that though,as we all have kindles.
I've just sold my Acer all singing and dancing notebook or is it netbook.?
I bought it last February and if I'd used it a dozen times I would be exaggerating, I couldn't get on with all this stroking the small pad and the arrow going all over the place, plus I used to struggle with my eyes on the small screen.

So I flogged it and I've bought a Motorola pad for what I need it for, which is the Internet and getting addiicted to playing games, and I'm finding it great because I can bring it nearer my eyes and it's all touch screen, plus it's smaller or more compact and lighter in weight, and will fit into an average sized handbag.
I took my netbook away last time I went to Spain, I couldn't find a wi-fi signal/access and any photos I took, I still waited until I got home to upload onto my tower puter.
I could have spent £100 or even £200 more and got one with more specs, but I never used the specs/facilities on the netbook, so I saw no point.

Luvvery Jubbly.

Sanji
My laptop is still recovering from the virus it got infected with from another website and is at my sons being repaired.
I am thinking of getting a netbook but like using a mouse.
Does anyone know if a mouse can be used :que
I am using my husbands laptop but I hate Windows Vista. :think
I have a netbook & I always use a wireless mouse - can't use the touch pad thingy either ;)
I bought a wireless mouse too, but maybe I didn't spend enough money on buying a really good one, one which allows you to switch off the power to the batteries, because mine just ate batteries and everytime I went to use it, the silly thing was 'dead'.

Sanji
I have a laptop and netbook and never use the touchpad. I always use a wireless mouse.

Argos Value Range one is brilliant for the money HERE The description doesn't match the photo they show.

The one I have has 5 buttons, a nano USB receiver which can be left in the netbook permanently and an on/off switch to save the batteries.

I had one previously and hated it as, like Sanji, it ate batteries. I also tried a Microsoft one and didn't get on with it either.

luci :wave
Mine is the same luci, not sure what make it is though. I love my Netbook, it comes abroad with me everytime :tup
I think most laptops are too big to fit in your average hotel safe, but you could probably get a netbook in or an IPad or similar.

DH took his laptop to Sharm recently as he had to do some work while he was there (self employed) and it was too big for the safe, left it in the room :yikes all week from what I remember but it isn't something I would recommend, I kept expecting it to walk.

At the airport we put all the electricals in the big black plastic tray that they give you for your hand luggage.

Sanji, i'm glad I am not the only one that cant get on with 'stroking the small pad' I really disliked it. Have to use a plug in mouse. DH is happy to stroke away at his though, I guess there is a knack to it.

Doe :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.