America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Final part!

Maui 30/01/07 - 08/02/07

Like I've said, our condo is right on the ocean with amazing views. Spent many an hour on the balcony with a beer or two watching humpback whales (whale season in Maui). We see hundreds every day and it's just amazing, I can't really put it into words.

Went on a whale watching trip with the Pacific Whale Foundation. Was hoping to see whales breaching up close, but it wasn't to be. Still a good trip though.

Went on a snorkelling trip also. Should have also been with the Pacific Whale Foundation but they cancelled the day before, so went with The Pride of Maui. Went to Molokini Crater which is supposed to be the number one dive sight. Think the fish were on their holidays as unfortunately we only saw one or two different types. Went to Turtle Arches and saw Green Sea Turtles which was brilliant.

Did rest of our food shopping at Safeway and got a free discount card so that did make the bill slightly less. However, you have to pay a separate beverage tax and deposit on every drink you buy, be it bottled water or beer! Ate out a few times also, to be honest just as cheap to eat out as it is to cook it yourself.

Went Ziplining with Eco Adventure Tour 4,300ft above sea level. We had a great time zipping through the trees and above canyons. We then continued further up to 10,023ft above sea level and to the top of Mount Haleakala, the dormant volcano. We drove through and then above the clouds. It was extremely cold and windy up there, but the views were amazing. The crater is so big, you could fit the whole of Manhatten in it! We then stayed for sunset which was beautiful.

We drove pretty much around the whole island during our time there. The roads are pretty easy as there aren't very many main roads so you can't really get lost. We did find ourselves in West Maui on a single lane road, high on the side of a cliff with cars both ways. Not for the faint hearted believe me!

Saw some wonderful beaches, though some can be very dangerous with shore surf breaks.

The town of Lahaina is just beautiful with the harbour and Banyan Tree Park. The shops are mostly single story, wooden and painted in pale colours. It's just so quaint.

We took a guided tour on the infamous Road to Hana. It was like a step back in time to the real Hawaii. Beautiful rainforests, waterfalls and beaches. Stunning scenery and a very informative tour guide. Unfortunately, we were unable to continue around the road as it's still closed due to fallen rock from the earthquake they had last year so we had to turn around and come back the way we came.

I have been to another Hawaiian island before, Oahu. You really can't compare the two. Oahu is extremely 'touristy' in the Honolulu area. To be honest we spent most of our time away from here and at the other amazing beaches up on the North Shore. Maui felt like it was more 'Hawaiian' to me. English tourists really do seem to be a rare bread here. I would definately return to Maui and hoe to be able to do so one day.

Hope you enjoyed my report and it wasn't too long winded :D
Fab reviews Jannerlily - thank you for posting them.

I agree with you about how touristy Waikiki is - it's an American Benidorm! My favourite island is Kauai - it's just SO beautiful!

U2fan
Thank you so much for this great insight into LV-SF and Maui :D
We were thinking of doing something along the same lines SF-LV and then finish on a beach somewhere. I'm not sure that we could afford Hawaii (especially after LV :wink: ) so will look at a beach option mainland US.
Saggy
U2fan - not been to Kauai, maybe thats something for the future?

saggy - you'd be surprised how reasonable the flight is considering how far you are going. If you book with United, you get 2 free stop overs and only pay for your furthest destination, ie Maui. The stops in Las Vegas and San Francisco were 'free' if you like.
maui sounds just perfect. I have been a bit hesitant about Hawaii as I thought it might just be far too touristy.
Fiona, I would say that about Oahu, although once you venture outside of Honolulu it does feel slightly more Hawaiian. I guess it's more touristy because it's probably the most famous Hawaiian island for us because of Pearl Harbour, Waikiki Beach etc and I think when you book a twin centre package it's probably the island you are going to go to.

However, Maui is completely different in my opinion. I can't comment on the others as haven't been there. I would go back there at the drop of a hat (despite the 17 hours flying time home!)
so, if you thought you were only going to Hawaii once- it would be best to visit at least two islands rather than stay in one?
That would definately be a good idea and guess there are a few ways to do that.

There are cruises that visit each island for a short time, but they aren't cheap. However, a friend of mine did this and highly recommended it. Maui, Lanai & Molokai are all within a short ferry distance from Maui so you could do day trips to them from Maui. There are plans to run a 'superferry' carrying cars and passangers from Oahu to Maui, although there is currently alot of debate about this. The ferry would have to run right through the path of the waters used by the humpback whales during whale season (approx Dec - May). The Lanai ferry hit a whale whilst we were there and there was helicopters and allsorts out looking for the injured whale. They take protection of the whales very seriously and feel the superferry would be extremely harmful to these creatures as it travels faster and takes longer to stop if a whale is spotted etc ... sorry, went on a bit there!

You could always book your internal flights within the Hawaiian islands yourself when you get there, or over the internet before you go. I think Aloha airlines are very reasonable.

I can't vouch for Kauai or The Big Island but Maui is stunning and despite it's touristy feel, I am still glad I went to Oahu if only for Pearl Harbour, climbing Diamond Head and the North Shore beaches.

Not sure I have been of any help??
thanks JL - you've written about 3 destinations I'd love to see. I'm sure I'll get there sometime :D
Hi Jannerlily the flight options sound good. I have never taken a long haul flight that gave me a stop over option :( Can the stop overs be for as long as you like? I mean days rather than weeks :wink:
Thank you any advice.
Saggy
Fiona

I'd definately recommend visiting more than one island - they are all different. We did a tour of the four main Hawaiian islands (Oahu/Kauai/Big Island and Maui) with Archers Direct and I would have been very disappointed just to have visited Oahu, which is what many Brits do. Waikiki is great fun for a few days but I wouldn't want to be based there for my whole holiday; it reminded me of an American Benidorm! Once you get out of Waikiki, the rest of Oahu is nice.

Like I said in an earlier post, Kauai was my favourite island by far - it's very quiet, laid back and picturesque; just how I'd imagined an Hawaiian island to be.

Here's the link to the tour we did: http://www.archersdirect.co.uk/content/product-detail.php/756/13/0/1/2/69

Anyway, we loved it over there so much that this September we're heading back to Oahu/Maui/Kauai (and back via Las Vegas)- this time independently!

U2fan
Hi Saggy, I'm guessing the stops can be as long as you like. I said how many nights I wanted to stay at each place and I wasn't advised otherwise. I know that United Airlines offer the two free stopovers, I'm not sure if any other airlines do the same. Someone else on the forum may be able to help here. The United Vacations brochure (available at some travel agents) could advise you further. I didn't book direct them them though. Hope this helps.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.