America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi :wave

Thank you for taking the time to post your trip report :tup
I'm not surprised your Hubby was gutted! :shock:

I'd be very grateful if you'd post reviews for the hotels you stayed in.........when you have the time of course :wink:

Pippy :D
Thanks for an excellent trip report! It sounds like you crammed a lot in, especially with staying in three hotels.

A question about the flights. When you checked in at Newcastle, we you able to check your luggage right through to Las Vegas or did you have to pick it up in London and recheck it?

We would have liked to fly direct with virgin, but because they don't have a partner airline we were concerned that we wouldn't have any comeback if anything went wrong with the flights, eg if the BA flight from Aberdeen was delayed. We would only have had 1 hour 15 mins to pick up our luggage and change terminals which we didn't think was enough.

luci :wave
We did have to pick up our luggage at Gatwick and change terminals. We landed on way back at 10am and didn't clear the terminal for 1hr 5mins so wouldn't risk a 1hr 15 transfer.

You can book a flexible ticket with BA for a few pounds more which will allow you to change flights but we took a gamble with a 3 hour both ways and it worked.

Virgin were exactly on time both ways and interestingly on both Newcastle flights there were Virgin crew travelling.
Thanks Durhamlass, look like we were right not to take the risk. We could take bmi to Manchester and direct to Las Vegas, but the tickets are so much more expensive. Unfortunately we'll have to stick with a connecting flight in the US to give us more $$ to spend once we're there.

Teriffic report.

The Drunks (transient population to the cops) on Fremont St seem to have always been with us. The security is LAX and they can get violent.
Seem to be fewer in the Hot Summer months.

Golden Nugget buffet is our favorite downtown and it requires a shirt with a collar (they'll loan one on request).

And yep, ya gotta book those shows in advance.
Hi there :)

Just got back Monday morning ... after 14 days.

GN allows people in without a collar on their shirt. T's are allowed .. wifebeaters shirts aren't (cutoffs - is no sleeves).

Main Street Station Buffet has gone downhill - never been a fave of mine, but it's certainly past it's prime now. Fremont Buffet is goodm but you can't beat the GN for it's breakfast offerings :)

TR later when I become human again :)

Heid
xx
Ooo will be looking out for your TR. It's only 19 days till we go. What was the weather like at the moment? From what I've read it's bee cooler than normal and quite windy at times.

We're leaving for LV in ablout 2 hours.
The weather is hazy and in the mid 80's F, some showers predicted late next week.
Hi luci,
Who are you flying with to Las Vegas (if you don't mind me asking).
We've gone there the past three years and normally go with My Travel on a package deal.We've had good deals but I've noticed that this year the prices have really shot up.
We're not going this year but are hoping to take my parents for their first visit next year and don't really want to have to fork out loads of cash.

Thanks
Cassie
Hi Cassie and welcome to HT!

Last year we booked a package through Expedia and felt we got a good deal when we went in April. When we went in November we booked through http://www.unitedvacations.co.uk and again were happy with the price. When I priced it in January to go in April the prices had shot up and it was the hotel part that pushed the price up.

I took the advice of members on another forum and priced the flights and hotel separately. I priced the flights on http://www.airline-network.co.uk , but booked directly on the American Airlines site http://www.aa.com as I could choose our seats.

The flights are £391 each Aberdeen > Gatwick > Dallas/Fort Worth > Las Vegas. We are staying at the Imperial Palace for 7 nights for $49 Sun-Thurs and $69 Fri and Sat, then we are staying at the Aladdin for $79 for a fountain view room. We are now going for 10 nights for little more than we paid last year for 7 nights.

HTH

luci,
Thanks for the info, i'll look into it.
We tried to get the Imperial Palace last year because it's in such a good location and not too expensive but by the time I went to book it, the offer had gone.We did manage to get the Luxor for around £800 each for two weeks so we were quite happy with that.

Thanks again

Cassie
Howdy all... glad to hear Golden Nugget breakfast is the best... that's where we're going in three weeks! ariba ariba!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.