Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Layovers
5 Posts
uktony,

A layover is simply time spent at the airport in between connecting flights. This can be an hour or two to overnight. With connecting flights, you have to think how long will it take to get from one flight to the next. Presuming you are flying with Delta on both legs, the shorter time may be enough to connect. 90 minutes is normally accepted at the minimum time to allow between flights. You have to think though, what would happen if your flight was say 30 minutes late incoming? You may then miss your connecting flight. That's not a problem if you can get the next one, but that may not be until several hours later or even the next day. Personally I'd go for the second option to be on the safe side and it gives you chance to stretch your legs, grab a bite to eat etc instead of rushing. We have a dedicated Delta Airlines thread for more information. Luggage allowance is a maximum of 2 bags up to 23kg total. Allowances are listed on Delta's website.

Darren
Thanks for the info Dazbo

I have only flown out of Europe once before (Florida in 2001) flying from Manchester but picking up and dropping off at Birmingham so I was just wondering if the time we were waiting then sat on the aircraft was what was being described as the layover. Been looking at various flights for a few days now and have seen layovers listed at just 40 minutes, how on earth can they land, you leave the aircraft, they take the luggage from one aircraft to another and then you board another aircraft in just 40 minutes.

So even if I chose the longer layover time here what would happen if the first flight is delayed for any reason so causing us to miss the connecting flight?
uktony,

There's no way you'd make a 40 minute transfer, unless you only had hand luggage and are Linford Christie! If you did miss your connecting flight and it wasn't your fault, eg late incoming, they would put you on the next available flight.

Darren
Flying to the US you would be better with the longer layover as you will have to go through immigration at your first point of entry and this can take anything from 30 mins to 1h 30m. However you will land in T1 at Las Vegas which is the domestic terminal and can just pick up your luggage and head off.

I tend to price flights to Vegas with NetFlights and Opodo, then I check the airlines direct and they are usually slightly cheaper. However it's not just the cost, I have seen some of these companies offer connecting flights where you cannot check your luggage straight through to final destination. One example I was offered was Aberdeen to Gatwick with FlyBe then Virgin direct to Vegas. However FlyBe only have 20kgs baggage plus 10kgs hand baggage wherease Virgin allow 2 pieces at 23kgs each per person. I would also have had to pick up my luggage at Gatwick and check it in again at Virgin and the connection they gave didn't allow enough time to check in 2-3 hours before the flight.

I am much happier booking direct with the airline and it any of the flights is delayed for any reason they will put you on the next one.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.