Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
hi if you log on to turkish phrases on info@asiaminortours.com you will find every basic phrases you will ever need ,by the way the turkish people really appreciate people trying their language ,good luck and have a nice holiday

bluepeterno1
Thanks for your reply, very much appreciated :D
Try looking at this thread for more info

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=55982

Enjoy your hols

WG
Merhaba (Hello) Deb

Hello : Merhaba
Thank you : Tesekkürler or Sagol
Goodbye : Gule gule or Hoscakal
please : Lutfen
How are you : Nasilsin
Fine : iyi
How much :nekadar
Money : para

have a fab holiday
Mustafa :)
goo-naee-dun good morning
ee-yee-ak-shamlar good evening
evet yes
hay-ur no

all useful phrases

bluepeterno1
The Language

Turkish can be a difficult language for the English tongue to master, but we find that a few choice words here and there go long way when talking with locals. What of those odd characters in Turkish writing though? Even the name Ã"¡alis looks difficult to say. Well, the easiest thing to do is learn a few words phonetically and not worry too much about the individual letters. Also, some of the sounds in Turkish can be quite difficult for English speakers to say, so approximations can be used and will be understood. For example, Ã"¡alis should be pronounced as follows:

Ã"¡ - ch as in chair
a - u as in ugly
l - l
i - er as in number
s - sh as in shelf

but Cha-lish is a good approximation. Here are some words and phrases that you may find useful:

Greetings
Hello mehr-hah-bah
Goodbye goo-leh goo-leh
Niceties
Please loot-fen
Thank you sah-ohl
Yes eh-veht
No hah-yihr
Ok tah-mahm
Eating Out
Beer bee-rah
Red wine kihr-mih-zir shah-rahp
White wine beh-yahz shah-rahp
Water soo
Milk soot
Bread ehk-mehk
Cheese pehy-neer
Chicken tah-vook
Lamb koo-zoo
Beef sih-ihr
The bill please heh-sahp loot-fen
Numbers
1 beer
2 ee-kee
3 oooch
4 derrt
5 besh
6 ahl-tih
7 yeh-dee
8 seh-keez
9 doh-kooz
10 on
You can now subscribe free to a podcast via This Link to learn Turkish

Dave
Hi everyone :D
I know there is a topic out there somewhere on this but I can't find it.
Anyway, I would love to learn Turkish...anyone got sugestions on how to learn or how to go about it.
Or even better if anyone on here could post useful phrases etc, that would be great :D
Teşekkür ederim :wink:
There are books cd's CDroms etc and all are helpful but you really need to find a class or 1 to 1 with a teacher (I found the class the best). Phone all your local language schools and put an ad in the paper. Then you need to get out there as often as possible and use it. I set myself a task each day when I'm in Turkey and then wander round the shops trying it. You'll probably find someone who will take you under their wing and make it their mission to teach you. The man in the blanket shop helps me and everytime I go there I pop in for tea and a chat. Have fun it's quite a challenge.
Hi Bazza, if you have an Ipod then there is a course you can download to your Ipod called In flight Turkish. It costs £7.99 I think. Not sure how much space it would take up on your Ipod though.
Laurence
Hi Laurence
I was wondering about the course on the ipod. How do you mark your poace on the ipod. or do you have to start at the beginning each time you use it. I was hinking if you wanted to listen to music or something in between?

Da
We recently attended a five week "Turkish for Holiday Makers" in Oxford. One and a half hours a week. It is the first course we have been able to find despite Oxford being a world renowned centre of learning.

Looking in any bookshop reveals yards of shelf space devoted to Spanish, German, French etc and about an inch, if at all, to Turkish. I cannot understand why this is. Turkish is a wonderful language.

Oh well! Back to my books and tapes.
Hi Everyone
Can someone tell me how to say I love Turkey and I love Marmaris? Thanks :D
Seni seviyorim Turkiye? Am I close? :lol:
Hi Bazza 06.

I Love Turkey = Turkiye Sevı Sevıyorum

Equally, I Love Marmaris.= Marmaris Sevı Sevıyorum

Ian
İ have çracked all thoşe fünny accent thinğies in Microsoft Wörd.
Hi All.
i m Turkish and i live in Marmaris. if you need any translations or questions in Turkish you are welcome.
PM me

Best Regards,
Mesut Caliskan

*Edit to remove personal email, please refer to the T&C of HT Briar
and if anyone upsets you call them,

Eshole Eshekk, (not spelt like that) but said like that, It means you are the son of a Donkey and your dads a Donkey,

Yalack = mans privat parts, :wink:

sen = you
ben = me
Bizzis = us
Para = Money
Cheesh = Wee Wee
Ka-Kar = Toilet No 2 :wink:

and the internationa hand signals work here too :lol:
I have heard from our Turkish Tutor (We did a five week course around June time) that she has the go ahead for a ten week course in the Oxford area providing she gets enough support. If you want to try Adult Education then send a message to me on this forum to see what numbers we can muster. She is looking for 10+ people so with me and the good lady and another couple we know we are still looking for another six or eight people. The more the merrier.

Not sure about costs yet - that might depend on the numbers.

So send a message if you think you might be interested in learning Turkish in the Oxford area.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.