Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hi Zaro,
Which resort is it that you are fancying on Lefkada?? Went to Nidri last summer and because that side of the island is quite sheltered by offshore islands it was very hot...and that was in July. It is quite breezy round the other side of the island where the excellent beaches are and consequently you find a lot of sailing holiday companies book their holidays there. Nidri is fab though....plenty of options for island hopping......Kefalonia, Ithaca, Meganissi although the beaches aren't that wonderful round that resort, there are some sandy stretches and the scenery is just to die for!!!
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x39/kath2greece/lefkas/
This is a link to a few pics I took while there(hopefully!!)
Kath
We spent 10 days on Lefkas in July 08 and the weather was perfect. We certainly didn't experience any windy days or rough seas. Weather in Sept. is not entirely predictable, it will almost certainly be hotter than the UK but being this far north you might get some wet days from mid Sept.
Thank you both.
Actually, I want to go to Villagio Maistro, it is in the northernmost part of Lefkada.
Now I understand why you were concerned about the wind. You are close to one of the best beaches on the island which faces north. When we were on this beach the sea was calm but it is popular with kite surfers and is not sheltered so I imagine it is usually blowy here. You are also near to the Faneromeni monastery which has stunning views over Lefkas Town and a very good museum. Very few visitors when we were there and a good selection of birds and deer in the grounds.
Most afternoons blow about 15 - 20kts there in high summer, but by mid-September those stronger winds are less common. Also, by mid-September, the first of the Autumn sessions of unsettled weather are likely to intrude for about 2 to 4 days of your fortnight. But the sea is at its warmest.

Levkas town is a lively, ramshackle town, upper stories made of corrugated iron so they're easy to repair after the earthquakes (small, but quite frequent). It's busy with Greek life, only a little tainted by tourism.

You'll find a lot more about the island on my web site - written for sailors, but useful for all visitors.

JimB
http://www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com
Lots about different parts of Greece
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.