Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Lefkas
12 Posts
How about a drive down to Vassiliki and watch the windsurfers?

Its a lovely little village with some really good restaurants dotted around the little fishing harbour.

I would recommend it for a relaxing afternoon/evening.
Walk to the end of the harbour and catch the big ferry over to Meganissi, it cost 2 euros each way 2 years ago. There are 2 stops one at a beach and the other at the harbour, we went twice and got off at each stop. We had 2 lovely days. Also when you get to the harbour keep walking past the chinese, and you will find a restaurant tucked back, it's basic Greek, doesn't look much, but the food was lovely, and the cheapest we have found since before the euro, we thought we had gone back in time! Anything else I can help you with just ask
San
Where are you staying on Lefkas? We had a week there late September/tearly October staying in Aghios Nikitas and realy enjoyed it. We have also visited briefly before. It is worth hiring a car and exploring to find some lovely unspoiled beaches and beautiful coastline. We have also stayed on Meganissi, which is well worth a visit.

Here are some pictures from our trip:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/348861/index.html

Though we didn't stay in Nidri, I'd highly recommend the "sunset and stars" cruise that goes from Nidri harbour (other day trips round the islands are available too). This cruise sets off at sunset and goes to a deserted beach, not accessible by road where, after a buffet meal on the beach, you are treated to a guided tour of the stars and the Greek myths that are associated with them. Steve, who runs the cruises is a fantastic storyteller and it was amazing to have such a clear view of the stars. We even saw the international space station and several shooting stars. The price includied a hot vegetarian meal, wine or soft drinks. It was an unforgettable experience.

http://www.uniqueexcursions.com/
Gail,
definately hire a car, you'll be able to visit your beloved Parga, its an easy 1 hour drive. We did the full day cruise to Kefalonia, Ithaki, and Meganissi which was very good. The boats doing this cruise are ultra modern and large carrying up to 500 passengers. On our trip it was only half full which was great as the villages were not overwhelmed on the stops. Plenty of interesting places to see on Lefkas and very rugged out by the lighthouse, we were the only ones there. Good suggestions in the other posts.
Just a quick post, I'm on my way to work :( . We are staying in Nidri at the Sapho (next door to the George Apartments). Thanks for all replies, Lefkas sounds gorgeous. Can't wait.
Hi
Have stayed in the Sapho apartments......the owners live in the apartment in front of the Sapho divided by an allotment where the husband grows vegetables and fruit trees. A couple of times we were given samples of tomatoes or cucumbers to take back to the room to sample. The rooms are quite large but very warm due to lack of air conditioning. :hot Very clean and very enjoyable. You have to cross the main road (Be careful its like taking your life into your hands!!!) to get to the harbour which is like being in another world very quiet and lined with lovely bars and restaurants. Try the "Rouge Booze" bar at the far end. it has a new Greek beer on draught. :glynis Lots and lots of boat trips to choose from. We took our car on the car ferry to Meganissi and to Kefalonia where we stayed in Fiscardo a couple of nights.
Its a wonderful place...very warm because it is so sheltered...I'd love to go back some day. Oh...nearly forgot, try the little bakers on the corner as you reach the main road from the apts....across from the wild west pub. The homemade cheese pie and biscuits and cakes are gorgeous!! :tup
By the way, when are you going?
Here are a few pics I took from the various places we visited
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x39/kath2greece/lefkas/
Kath
Hi Kath. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Now I've looked at your photos I can't wait to get there!
We are going in August and we have booked a 2 bedroom apartment. We thought about requesting the ground floor because it will be cooler? I understand that the apartments have got air conditioning now. Hope so. Will def try the bakers and the bar you mention. Will post a review when we get back.
Thanks again.
Hi
I was in a ground floor studio with a balcony so close to the fruit trees i could have picked oranges and lemons without leaving the room. My friends were in a 2 bed apartment on the top floor.....MASSIVE!! two large bedrooms separated by a good sized kitchen/dining room with bathroom off. Not sure if one of the bedrooms wasn't en-suite??
I've attached a couple of pics of "Rouge Booze"....they do really unusual snacks and you are more than welcome to use the pool too. We spent a few happy days there....and they bring ice buckets full of ice for with your drinks!!!..at least they did when we were there. The Mythos can you can just about make out in the extreme right of the first pic was the telephone. Really quirky!
We did stay a couple of nights in Fiscardo which we booked while we were out there. If you are interested they were fantastic rooms overlooking the harbour and the guy who runs the travel agency on the harbour is Scottish so no language problems! Our balcony was large enough for a dining table and chairs, two sun loungers and could have fitted the same on again. I can send pics as well if you are interested.
It will be VERY hot in August. We went in July and there was no breeze at all! Another good restaurant we enjoyed was Tom's on the Beach (I think I've got the name right!) and the tables were set no more than a few feet from the water! Wonderful!
Enjoy!
Kath
Thanks Kath. Hope the apartment is quite spacious. 2 weeks is a long time to be confined to a small area :rofl . Don't know what happened to your pics :) Can you post them again? Thanks. Gx
Hi Kath and everyone else who has taken the time to respond. Before I visited Parga, Kefalonia was my favourite place. Don't think we will make the journey from Lefkas but will definitely do some exploring by car and sea :wave: . Lefkas and the surrounding area sounds fantastic.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.