EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
sue i deal with a lot of hire companies and tell the truth i cant think of one that has LHD in stock
Thanks Wizard.
Right hand drive through Spain it will have to be then.
Unless, would it be possible to fly out to Spain, hire the van and drive it back to UK to pick up your stuff, then bring it back?
Thanks Sue, that's a kind thought - although we'd then have to drive from Portsmouth to London and back in a LHD. I'll ask my husband which he'd prefer, as he's the main driver !
Regards,
Sue
we are driving from Portsmouth in March with apeople carrier for the 2nd time,totake stuff over,it is much easier in my view to drive RHD,make sure you do your head lamps tho,stickers available in halfords for £3.99,to reflect the light the opposite direction,law in Europe
Thanks Rebel. Yes, I read about the headlamps - I seem to remember reading that you also have to have two warning triangles, and a high-vis jacket, as well as a spare pair if you wear prescription specs.
I see your place is on the Costa del Sol, we are heading not quite as far, about an hour north of Alicante.
How long did it take you to drive south ? Any other tips gratefully received !
Regards Sue
it took us around 32 hrs from Dunkirk to Benal.

Bilbao to Alicante is 505 miles,it will take you 7hrs and 35mins,this is via toll roads.it will take you 8hrs and 30mins not using toll roads,i used a tom tom sat nav to work it out for you,wouldn,t be without it lol.When driving you will need a fire extinguisher,first aid kit,2 triangles,high visabilityhead lamp converters. vest for each person in the car,available in pound shops for smaller ones.2 pairs of glasses,always keep your doors locked when driving and never stop for anyone,except police.it could be a set up.lorry drivers a really helpful abroad,and if you stop for kip,always stay by the lorries ,you are safer.
Thanks again, Rebel. All good advice, which we will follow.
arrived home last night.word of warning,made sure i followed rules and speed of area i was travelling,all others were flying past me ,blinding me with their lights,but i kept to the speed limits or under,we were travelling over a mountain thick with fog ,could hardly see with peoples lights ,so i was crawlling,as we were getting off the mountain there were road lights ,cars races past us,with that we saw a police car,we commented to each other .that the UK police would never allow the way they were driving and their full beam lights,when they all of a sudden signaled for us to pull over?what have i done i said to the wife?they checked our lights they said we were not allowed to use our fog lights in Spain as they reflect over the other side of the road,we had ight convertors on our lights which is what they firstly cheched for,i had my lights low ,had to have my fogs on for a short while,others really flew passed us,but i think they saw the GB sticker and that was it,easy money on the spot fine of 49 euros,we made sure we followed every rule and made sure we had all the nessessary equipment needed for europe and there ,other than that the travelling was nice,take care on driving several of fatallities on the french mountains :( ,due to driving to fast on icy roads
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.