Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Hi,
Having holidayed in both a couple of times each and loved both it's difficult to recommend one or the other. They are quite different.
Lindos is quaint and has much more character with sugar cube buildings scattered around the acropolis from which there are lovely views. There are no cars allowed through the village, only donkeys and motorbikes. There are lots of shops in the maze of streets. It gets very busy during the day with tourists. However, if you want accommodation with a pool most are at the back of the village making it quite a hike to the main beach(which is lovely). If you are there in the middle of summer the temperatures can be 40-45 degrees and it's fairly steep climb back up from the beach!! There are a few clubs but they tend to be on the periphery.
Pefkos' main street is on the flat and built along a lovely sandy beach.
We found the standard of food in restaurants here to be of a much higher quality. It is also only 5mins and 6 euros by taxi between the two. Eclipse Bar is the closest thing to a club but it's not really. Don't know that this will have helped much but it just all depends what your priorities are on holiday. You would have a lovely holiday in either.
Both Lindos and Pefkos are British resorts thus there are no Greek tavernas just tourist tavernas, you get the bill before you've even finished....
Lindos has the advantage of at least looking like a Greek village, whereas Pefkos is a newly built expanding resort area.

Beaches in Pefkos are somewhat cleaner than those in Lindos, both are pretty good so about equal there.

Lindos itself has a lot more bars, well worth having at look at a lot of them.... so is much more lively in the evenings.

You can walk between the two places but it is very dull 2.5 mile (1 hour) trek with a hill just outside Pefkos.
For your posts, having done some more research I think i will opt for Pefkos as it seems a little quieter and having spoken to someone who has also been I think more ideal for us. We like a good walk so would think nothing of walking to Lindos for the odd night or two and then getting a cab back. Again for the day to see the quaint streets.

When you say there are no greek tavernas we were told that last year about Tsilivi in Zante and we found loads, they were just in betwen the British bars which we ignored. On looking at the Pefkos websites and pages I could see a few, not typical like you would get in the 80's but those that didn't insist you had to have pie and chips. Hopefully we will find the same here.

Many thanks
Sooze,
I would concur with the opinions voiced here and your choice. We stayed in Lindos two years ago and the quality of the food in the restaurants was dire. There was only one Taverna that I would describe as serving typical Greek food and the name escapes me! It is a very small establishment (three or four tables - one outside) in one of the pedestrian streets in the centre next door to a pharmacy if I recall correctly. All of the rooftop restaurants, although offering a good view of the Acropolis, served food ranging from indifferent to inedible. We tried a couple before deciding to drive to Pefkos each night and eat there!
Lindos itself is charming as long as you explore before about 09:30 when the tourist coaches start shipping people in. By mid-day it is very crowded and most unpleasant. Early evening is fine, but it then starts to get a little loud and brash for our tastes with mobs of Brits/German/Dutch standing around drinking outside the numerous bars.
When in Pefkos, do experience a flight in the Microlight aircraft from the little strip at the right hand end of the beach (looking out to sea) - a great way to see the Acropolis and Lindos from the air. To book just go in to the bar next to the airstrip and ask. I do hope hat he is still operating!

Cheers,
Jet
Having opted for Pefkos I think you have the best of both worlds.
I would highly recommend the Lindia Thalassa Apartments ( First Choice ) especially Block A with great sea views. Pefki Island across the road (Thomsons) are the sister apartments and also meant to be very good.
Two mins walk from there is a lovely "Greek" restaurant called Philosophia which is lovely- very rustic, on a hill above the beach. Worth going before 8pm for the sunset alone. Owner is a bit of a comedian!.
If you need any more info just let me know.
sooze29

I visited both resorts back in the late 90's (three years in a row). I stayed in Pefkos each time and loved it. I'm aware that it has changed a bit since I was last there and I've not been back for fear of spoiling my very happy memories of it. However, Pefkos is still a very popular resort and having also stayed in Tsilivi can see the appeal for you. You may also like to take a look at this site for further information on Pefkos.

http://uk.msnusers.com/friendsofpefkosrhodes
Click Here for our many reports (written by fellow holidaymakers) for the resort of Pefkos.

Click Here for the Lindos resort reports
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.