UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Hi, how far into Cornwall are you going? I live just at the beginning of Cornwall (by the ferry) and personally wouldn't stop over but if you are going as far as Penzance then you might need to.Maybe stop at Exeter or Plymouth and price up holiday inn express or travel lodges as well as B&bs they might be just as cheap, and Holiday inns express you get breakfast included.Hope this is of some help Maggie
Hi thanks for your reply. We are going to st Austell, friends have also suggested that we wouldnt need to stop, so I think we'll just go for it. :tongue :cheers Lynne
I think you could get away with just a stop for a meal en route. It would give you a bit of a rest from concentrating on driving. It would obviously depend on what time you're travelling.
Yes I think thats what we'll do. Prob leave first thing in the morning, then make a couple of stops. Looking forward to it now, never been before.
we have done it several times ( wirral - newquay ) . i usually leave at 2am and stick to 60ish .we stop on the m6 for a coffee then we stop at strensham for breakfast for an hour . and get to where we stay (white acres ) at 1 ish .

in car dvd`s help with the kids as well as nintendo ds`s . the main thing is dont rush .

gary
When I say first thing in the morning I mean maybe 6ish :lol: There is very rarely a two in the morning in my book, and theres no way my husband could stick to sixty :fly :really
i would recommend at least one 30 min minimum break over that distance if nothing else you will need a comfort stop.. if you haven't driven it before don't get over confident your m6/m5 part of the journey will eat up the miles but once you hit the A roads [just south of Exeter] the max speed limit is 60 the road has quite a few fixed cameras and a plethora of marked and unmarked cars operating with lots of good spots to hide camera vans so either take extreme care or watch your speed

wizard
Someone mentioned something about a toll road that can take two hours off the journey,do you know anything about that.
The only Toll Road I know of is the M6 Toll which would be no use for a trip from Liverpool to Cornwall. Take the M6 down as far as West Birmingham and then transfer to the M5 - a pretty straightforward route unless there are traffic problems.
The last time we drove from Glasgow to Portsmouth we left home really early and stopped off for breakfast at a supermarket in Cumbria. It made getting out so much easier as we were able to just get dressed and get out rather than taking time to make and eat food and then clear up afterwards. The cooked breakfast also meant that we didn't then need a long lunch stop (we picked up sandwiches etc in the shop, along with all the things we had forgotten - sunglasses for both children, socks for younger child, toiletries for us).
drove from leighton buzzard (near Luton) to ST Ives in Feb , i drive like an old man , never break the speedlimit and it took us , with a couple of stops of 20 minutes odd , 7 hours , but it only took 6 the year before and 5 the year before that ! , its a hell of a drive in any case , you get to the start of the a30 and think your nearly there

YOUR NOT :yikes another 2 hours on a half single carriageway A road awaits...

As gary said , take your time , worth it when your there !
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.