Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Local Spirits
19 Posts
tootsie
I'm a vodka drinker too,and have to say that I haven't experienced that.
In fact, have found they usually bring the bottle to the table or pour it from the bottle at the bar. Don't stop pouring either..lol! None of that optics carry on!
Like yourself, I don't like cheap vodka..you can always tell! :lol: IT IS like methylated spirits or something...Nasty! Bring on the Smirnoff! :D
Absolutely agree Fiona!! Why do they think we can't tell the difference??? Must admit I always state Smirnof,f and they usually pour from the bottle in front of you. After experiencing the paint stripper stuff in Lanzarote I am very careful!
Thanks for the replies. Yes I must admit there were a few restaurants which actually brought the bottle, El Romantico in Los Christianos was very generous with their portions of both food and Smirf!

Maybe I was frequenting the wrong establishments because it did happen a few times to us, and has done on previous years too. :cry:

It doesnt exactly spoil your evening but does tend to leave a bad taste in the mouth................................literally! :wink: :D
Hi all

I too am a Voddy drinker and also prefer Smirnoff (Black Label if i'm really lucky). Although I have never encountered this problem in Tenerife I suppose there are establishments that will try and palm you off with cheaper brands.

Do they think us women are stupid and can't tell the difference when ordering our fave tipple?

I suppose some people who drink Voddy can't tell the difference between brands so they try it on until they get caught out.

Another thing I personally can't stand is diet coke in mine, has to be the full blown fattening stuff :lol:

Regards Jackie
I can't afford to have the full blown fattening stuff. Not one of the lucky ones,that doesn't put weight on, unfortunately....so I've always stuck to the diet stuff. Funny..have got really used to it, over all these years of alcohol..lol! Wouldn't be able to drink the other stuff now to be honest..same with tonic water..got to be slimline...if none,will just have a dash of soda water :D
With the amount of vodka that gets drunk on holiday,if I didn't do that..I'd be having what I'm supposed to be taking, in nothing but Drinks calories..lol! and probably put on a stone, just for good measure..pardon the pun. :D
  • Edited by FionaI 2006-09-22 08:22:12
Fiona

It is not a weight thing, I just can't stand the after taste with diet coke.

As you say perhaps if I drank it all the time I would probably get used to it.
Don't get me wrong, if I was offered a voddy and coke and only diet coke was available I would smile sweetly and accept it, ( after 4 or 5 in Tenerife I would probably accept the concoction Tootsie was offered :lol: )

Rgds Jackie
Our fav local restaurant in PDLA is Darrells and they have always brought the spirits in the bottle and poured them at the table.

PS I always drink bottled beers or Vina Sol if I am not sure of the establishment????
Jackie
You're spot on there :lol:.
(Wish it wasn't a weight thing with me...I just need to add on a few extra calories and I'd pile it on :( )
Re the diet coke..my husband says that too,he always gets the sweetner after taste and hates it. :)
Agree with Peter,probably best to stick to bottles of beer etc.if you're not familiar with a place, and just make sure you get exactly what else you've asked for...SMIRNOFF please. :D
Sometimes the vodka is poured from a smirnoff bottle, but is it smirnoff? :shock: Probably fools a lot of people but not us afficionados.
As for the real/diet coke thing, Jackie I"m with you, the aftertaste is just too much. I"ve always been confused by mixing diet drinks with alcohol, does the mixer make the alcohol less fattening? Now, if we could get diet smirnoff....... :D
Gordon.
Sometimes the vodka is poured from a smirnoff bottle, but is it smirnoff? Probably fools a lot of people but not us afficionados.

Im smiling at the above, but quite honestly we have been given absolute crud posing as Smirnoff on a lot of occasions!

If you read the thread below by Joe Cawley (so you fancied running a bar) he states that this is par for the course in some bars.

I get a bit miffed at it! :x
Don't blame you tootsie...Like all of those who know and enjoy their Vodka,I think the difference is usually quite apparent...to be honest,it's ok having a laugh,but EVEN after quite a few,you definitely can tell the difference.When we've been in Tenerife,we've up until now, frequented Harry's bar,Buda,Monkey bar and the likes and we've been fortunate enough to have been served the real McCoy,I'm glad to say :)
I wouldn't dispute that it definitely goes on though. I've been in a certain other bar,that I USED to frequent, where I've asked specifically for SMIRNOFF and diet coke, and not because the bar staff are deaf or whatever,they've blatantly chanced their arm, and just given me SMIRNOFF and coke,that annoys me just as much to be honest.

Gordon
I'm a very calorie conscious person,JUST ME, I suppose...but one thing I won't give up,and definitely not when I'm on holiday,is my Vodka and diet coke. There's probably the same amount of Calories in 8 vodkas and diet coke,about 400, as there is in about three with regular coke...that's why I personally choose to drink that,vodka and soda or Gin and slimline.OBVIOUSLY..lol! not a health kick,just a trying to stay slim kick! :lol:
There used to be a bloke who used to sell 'copy' Baileys to the bars......in Baileys bottles. Now I know my Baileys and there was no way this was the real stuff.

When I told them this, they showed me the bottle....................I still argues the toss.

Years later I am very good friends with the owners of this bar, who eventually admitted to me they got if from the 'bloke' I mentioned above......................

I'm quite willing to pay for the real stuff..............just like smirnoff drinkers are........................................therefore the only real way to sort this problem is to complain..................if you still get no joy........ask for a claim form

The last thing any reputable business wants is the hassle of being investigated.
I to only like Smirnoff, and i to can tell the difference. :?

But what i hate is when you ask for a smirnoff vodka and tonic and they give you smirnoff and then stick crap tonic in it. Especially the tonic that is on draft.

i always ask for bottled tonic, which in tenerfie is usually nordic, which isn't to bad.

But the tonic is usually more expensive that the vodka.
I remember when I went last year and we bought Vodka from the shops and I bought a cheap bottle for 3.50 euros and thought I'd found a bargain.

Then I tasted it and it nearly burnt my lips off!!!! :oops:

My mate paid 22 euros for a bottle of smirnoff and now I understand why it was better to invest!!!!
Glad that some of you agree with me then! :D

Phoooar I hope your friend didnt pay 22 Euros for that Smirnoff in Tenerife cos "Spanish Style" at the San Eugenio centre sells it for 8.95 Euros a litre!!!

I know cos I went through two of em a month ago (took me two weeks mind you!)

Happy hols everyone whatever you drink :D
Have only just read this thread... i am a voddy drinker and consider myself able to tell between the real deal smirnoff and something that could be used to strip paint...

i cannot be doing with the cheap and nasty stuff and always ask for smirnoff. Even if it is in a smirnoff bottle and it is some imitation i can tell..

Rob is just the same with these local brews.. he can drink alot of things but sometimes the local brew tastes like it has been siphoned from our local canal. He loves the bars where he can get a good old pint of John Smith's..
Fiona,
Did"nt mean to criticise anyone about their choice of drink, only that the alcohol has the calories there BEFORE any mixer is added. One of our spirit measures has approximately 50 calories so it soon multiplies with Tenerife measures. So sorry if I offended you, that was not my intention.
Sorry, slightly :offtop
Gordon.
NOT AT ALL!! Wasn't offended in the least,Gordon. I know.... :lol: that's why I'd rather have 3 or 4 (or maybe more??) BIG Smirnoffs and Diet coke rather than just a couple of BIG Smirnoffs and regular coke for the same calories...like to watch my waistline doesn't expand too much,but must have my Drinks on holiday :lol:
It's SO not important Gordon,don't even think you were offending me. :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.