Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Feb 14th Wed
Awoke at 7.30 when Lauren fell out of bed!! Note to self....put mattress on floor tonight! :lol:

Still coughing so went to chemist in Calangute. Stu had appointment to have teeth whitened today and mum wanted to see dentist about having a crown done. It took about an hour for teeth whitening. (I must admit though, I cant really see much of a difference.)..He had the zoom 2 done for 2 cycles and it cost £150...

We had a look in some of the fixed price shops and bought a few gifts. I must admit I like these shops as you dont pay over the odds and you know where you are with prices for elsewhere. Bought a lovely fruit bowl carved out of one piece of wood. Its lovely and only cost 350rps. I saw the same ones at the spice plantation later in the holiday for 550rps. It was lunchtime by now and we decided to find Vistoria's Kitchen which was recommended on HT. We took a left at the roundabout at the beach end of Calangute and kept walking for 5 mins or so past Molly Malone's pub. It was on the left and is just a shack in her garden. Anna came out to see us and said she had a lovely ginger garlic chicken cooking which the adults decided to have. The children chose homemade honey pancakes. We had 3 bottle water and 2 Kingfishers. Bill was 780 rps. Chicken was lovely and was served with salad, chips and rice.

We went back to the dentist to make an apointment for mum to have her crown done and then got taxi back to hotel for swim in the pool.

We decided to go to Sublime for dinner (by the box bridge). When we arrived at 7.40 there as a right racket going on at the bridge! We asked what time it would stop and were told 8pm. True to their word, the minute 8pm came they all downed tools and stopped working. Thankfully!

For starters I had prawn cocktail, stu had mussels, mum had pate and dad had crabcakes (I think!)
Mum and I had steak with diane sauce, onion rings and chips. Lovely :lol:
We were all given a small soup as a complimentary starter too. Stu and dad had fillet steak with garlic sauce, cheese and mushrooms. Children shared steak and had chips too. We had cocktails, bacardi breezers and kingfishers. Bill was 2900rps.

We went to the Cavala Hotel by taxi as our friend were staying there. Hannah their daughter (6) is our son Matthew's (5) girlfriend. (they are so cute together!) :D

We asked at reception if they were in or out, and were told that they had gone out for dinner. Jo, who works at the Cavala went out and tried to find them but to no avail.....so we had a very sad little boy with us. He had made her a card and bought a red rose and a teddy bear for her! we decided we would wait for them to come back and the children sang and danced with the band who were playing. We had a great time, but it was getting late and we decided we should go and put them to bed. Just as we were leaving, Hannah appeared much to Matthew's delight! He had to run to reception to retrieve his gifts for Hannah and gave them to her in person. :D They then had a little dance together and we had to go back to our hotel. We did arrange to see them at Ashvem beach on Friday though.

Feb 15th Thursday
10am Harry our taxi driver came and we went to Chandra's again on our way to Panjim. Mum decided to have a copy of my Tiffany bracelet made from melting down her 1970's silver ingot! Saw the elephant walking down the high street and then off we went to Vishal supermarket in Panjim. We managed to buy ribena cartons here for the children as well as water and fizzy apple drink. Dad bought a pair of trousers. We didnt realise that you buy a pair of trousers and then take them to the tailor at the back of the shop to make them the correct length for you...what a fab idea! There was a sale on in the shop so dad got 25% off the cost. They were 345rps less the discount. Mum and I both bought shoes for 295rp less 25%! What a bargain! Cushion covers were 99rps less 25% too.

We then went to CoCo beach. Went to Rita's shack. Nice shallow cove but sand was made up of lots of crushed shells and was bt rough under foot. It was ok but not my favourite beach! :? Lunch was fish all round and chicken noodles for lauren and matthew. Bill for the day was 1350rps.

Went to Panjim again to change money. Stu bought gin....1 bottle Blue Riband 120rps and 1 bottle Seagrams 180rps. Both very nice bt Seagrams my favourite! Decided that its a lot cheaper to have a drink on te balcony rather than going to the hotel bar for a sunset drink! (Sound like alcoholics don't we!).

Stu visited the LACOSTE shop and bought a striped polo shirt for 2250rps. We went to book tickets for the river cruise on the Paradise boat for next Wed at 6.15pm. Tickets for over 3 feet tall 150rps each.

Taxi to Baga tonight and ended up at Casa Portuguese for dinner. Very dark inside here (we had to use torches to read the menu!) Had crab/prawn with tomato and onion to start, stu had mussels in garlic sauce (these were is favourite all holiday) mum and dad had chicken broth. Main courses were spaghetti bolgnaise, whole grilled fish of the day with mash potato and salad with orange dressing, tuna steak with saute potato & green beans, steak with mushroom&garlic sauce & roast potatoes, chicken in red wine sauce with carrots and mash potato. Desert was banana flambe, ice cream with hot chocolate sauce and chocolate cake with ice cream. We had bottle of house white wine for 600rps. Total bill was 3800rps but it was all lovely! Had nice chat with the owner and had complementary glass of port at the end of the meal.

All I seem to be doing is talking about food!! :lol:
Brilliant Louise. Must try that shop in Panjim ive heard its great and from your report it sounds fab and very cheap.
Pity we missed each other, but there is always next year :D
Great hearing all about your trip Louise!!! Keep it coming!
the guy said "madam this is India....we have no left or right!" - brilliant!
beautiful report! I'm going 18'th and would like how you do reports like that? do you have a diary to look later for dates and prices? Despite of big amount of useful facts, really (I mean REALLY) nice reading.
Thanks LouiseT.
elephant
I kept a diary each day while I was there, more for my own reference for next time so I remember prices etc from year to year. I have a head like a sieve and so need t write it all down!

Gemma, so sorry that I didnt get to chat with you!Maybe we will meet again in the future....

It all seems like a distant memory now. Its good to read my diary and remember all our good times! we had such a laugh every day!

If I get a chance after dinner I will write up some more...
nice trip report :D
I think the Goa forum is the only one where many members write trip reports. Great isn't it?
Elephant
the way I write my reports is
I relax with a drink after a hectic day on the beach/sightseeing and hubby writes up notes for the day. I then write a report at the end of the holiday and everyone thinks that I have put a lot of work into it :lol:
Thanks LouiseT , lovely report I'm looking forward to the next installment, shirleyv
Friday 16th Feb
10am met Harry outside hotel for our trip to Ashvem beach. It took approx 25 mins and we went through some gorgeous countryside to get there. We saw lots of places that we remembered from our trip 7 years ago (before children) when we hired a scooter and headed off up North. We were surprised to see a bridge crossing the Chapora river where we crossed on a roll on roll off ferry last time. Siolim was a lovely place to drive through.

We were already aware of the "La Plage" beachshack and so were looking out for it on the way. It was one of the first beach shack advertising boards that we saw, and we drove in expectantly. Well we were not disappointed! What an absolutely gorgeous place! It is actually on a hard standing set back a little from the beach up a few steps. It is surrounded by little beach bungalows that are available to rent for 2000rps per night.

The shack is surrounded by pastel coloured voile curtains and looks simply stunning. The beach beds were set around in 2's with a wicker sunshade above each pair of beds. There were some on the beach and some up the steps in the sand near the shack. We were lucky to enough to see a film being made on the beaxh the day we visited. There were huge sand sculptures that they had made for the film....fantastic! They were constantly spraying them with water to help keep them at their best. There was a very attractive Indian actress starring in the film but no one could tell me her name!!

For lunch we had prawn salad 190rps pate & onion jam 130rps baked potatoes with spinach and cheese sauce 190 rps and smoked chicken leg with sauteed potatoes 210. Strawberries and whipped cream were a hit with the children! We didnt get a look in! 140rps! kings 35rps and fosters 70rps.

Today I actually purchased two beach dresses from on of the sellers (there were only a handful and they didnt hassle very much) I paid 350 rps for 2. We met our friends and Hannah their little girl and had a drink with them. So seriously chilled out up here! Didnt want to go back! Left at 4pm and Harry charged us 700rps for the whole day. Stopped on the way home for a cold drnk and bought 3 little girls a drink each as well. they were so grateful.

That night we hadarranged to meet our friends and so got taxi to the Cavala where they were staying. Mum and dad had decided to go to Le Restaurant Francais tonight as they had been so impressed by La Plage(they are owned by the same people).

We went to Franks which is down the road opposite Subway. We had been here last visit and so knew how good their chateaubriand is 440 rps!! (for two!) We decided to have a prawn cocktail starter and then a garlic sauce on the steak.It comes with home made onion rings, mushrooms, chips and the best cauliflower cheese i have ever had! I was so full at the end of the meal!! The only problem this evening was that the main courses took ages o come. The restaurant ws busy and we think that they had lost our order after the starters. we mentioned the fact we had been waiting a while and the food was at the table in about 5 minutes! The fact that the food was so good made up for the length of time it had taken though! With all the childrens food and 14 alcoholic drinks the bill for 4 adults and 3 kids was 2520rps!

We walked to the top of theroad and had another drink then went back to Marinha Dourada by taxi. Met up with mum and dad to pass Matthew into their room for the night then went to bed. The end of another lovely Goan day!
Great report Louise. Eagerly awaiting the next installment. :D :D
Great report Louise, you are making me very hungry though, the food sounds absolutely fantastic
:lol: :lol: Fab Louise T.. it makes you think there is still so much you have not done in goa... love the shoe story ...haha..and the kids dancing I can just see it ........great report well done .......colleen
Great read. Really enjoying hearing about all the lovely meals. The food is one of my favourite things in Goa.
Hi everyone, thanks for your positive comments about my report! It gives me the encouragement to finish it off!

I do keep talking about food though :?

Saturday 17 Feb

Can't face another breakfast at the Marinha Dourada! Not that its bad...its just EGGS!! every which way you like. Decided we will get bus to beach and eat early should we feel like it!

I decided that I would quite like an Indian style outfit with a long tunic top and trousers so stopped off at the little tailor shop in Baga opposite Britto's. Picked out some gorgeous black material with silver embroidery detail to the bottom and had first fitting. Mum decided she wanted one too so came along with me while the men took the children to the beach.
Mum picked a gorgeous turquoise blue colour. Price is going to be 2000rps each as we have both picked the chiffon style ones not the cotton. Also asked for a pair of magic trousers (you know the ones which you tie roud the waist and then pass through your legs :hmmm ) Picked material and off we went to the beach...

After a long morning of swimming, chatting and people watching we had lunch at the Bistro beach shack where we had been sunbathing. Butter chicken, chicken chow mein and butter naan bread to die for! I was in heaven! A few Kings and then went back to MD for swim in pool. Showered changed and then went to Calangute so mum could go to see dentist again. Went to the fixed price shop again and purchased a lovely table......now we just need to find space for it in one of the suitcases... :shock: Its only fairly small I might add!!

I went to a handbag shop and bought a Radley handbag for 1950 rps. Very nice....might have to go back and buy another before we leave...

Arrived back at hotel early evening and decided we would take a look at Mackies market seeing as it is nextdoor to Hotel. As soon as we sepped inside we were being hassled everywhere to buy stuff! Funny though, the small magnets that we had bought earlier for 25rps in the fixed price shop for the children were being sold here for 150rps! We wandered around and did a little bartering on my son's behalf as he wanted to buy another magic box, ended up with a nice one for 250rps. Matthew was pleased anyway. Then , yes you guessed it FOOD!! we went to the tandoori grill and had tandoori chicken, chicken biriani, butter naan bread & chicken korma all for 260rps. There was a show on with fire dancers which was very good and then bands playing. Lauren and Matthew had made friends with Mackie's daughter and spent the evening on the dancefloor with her and her sister.

As we were leaving I decided that I needed to have one of the tapestry bags featuring a picture of an elephant and the lady who owned the stall decided that Lauren needed a pink sparkly handbag....well Lauren was not going to let it go now, so the heavy bargaining began! I ended up(dont ask me how) :roll: with a black beaded evening bag, the elephant bag and the pink sparkly bag for 350rps.......I thought that this was quite good seeing as she had started at over 1200rps!

Had enough by now so headed back to hotel and had drink on the balcony and listened to the music. Lovely evening :lol:

Sunday 18 Feb
Went to the beach on th bus and back to the tailors. At 11 am I took the children with Jacqui (my friend) and Hannah (her daughter, Matthew's girlfriend) to Siolim. We had agreed to go to Jo's house(he works at the Cavala) to meet his mum(81) and his Aunt(84). Taxi there.

When we arrived we were shown around this huge house. It was lovely to see how they lived. They had an attic room with the most amazing view! They had prepared lunch for us which was a total surprise too! Mussels cooked in salt pepper and garlic then deep fried, tomato and onion salad and chapati bread. Lovely but I don't really do mussels :shock: I did eat them to be polite though but when we finished they brought more out :yikes Managed a couple more then we went for a walk down by the river which was lovely. Got taxi back to beach and had ice creams.

Evening time and we went to Chandra's on the way to the HT meet at Mai Thai. Gave Lin B lots of cheese and Bisto gravy granules. We ate there and then had a drink with the HT'ers who were there....Sam the Boater and his wife, Gooner Fan and his friend, Shermina, Lin and Lez. The children were getting tired so we took them back to the hotel just as Gemma 33 was arriving...so we didnt get to chat :cry: Maybe next time :lol:

A drink on the balcony ( well we have 2 bottles of gin to get through!) and the kids went to bed. Ready for another day tomorrow...
Sorry guys I think that I have done something wrong and put this last part on twice! Hope this has removed it or its going to be like groundhog day :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.