Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
First off, most of the beaches in Malta are to the north of the main island, so looking around Mellieha Bay would tick that box; Gozo is lovely, much more laid back than Malta, lots of self catering, but less places to visit. Buggiba/St Pauls Bay are very popular, and can get very busy in high season. However, you can get a bus from Buggiba to almost anywhere, including the Gozo ferry terminal, and both Buggiba & St Pauls Bay are fairly central, so its horses for courses really.
I have been to Mellieha Bay a few times to the Mellieha Bay hotel there and there is a nice bit of beach near to the hotel and also Melleiha is a nice village and not rowdy at all.
If you do go to Melleiha then beware it is a step hill between the town and the beach at Melleiha Bay. I usually stay in Qawra which is attached to Buggiba.

Also wherever you go beware of the timeshare touts. They shouldn't bother you if the younger member of the party are with you though.
We took a bus ride out to Melleiha Bay a couple of years ago and were very disappointed. Yes, there's a long stretch of beach but very little else down on the seafront. It looks like all the action is up that very steep hill.

We took a walk along the beach and the roadside, stopped at a beach cafe for a cup of tea and a sandwich - then jumped on the bus straight back to Qawra.

Although there are other resorts we prefer, my parents always go to Qawra/Bugibba in February and we fly over from Cyprus to join them for 5 - 7 days. I still like it around St Julians but there's not a lot of actual sandy beaches on that side.

We did enjoy our day out on Gozo (especially Xlendi Bay) and we really liked Marsaxlokk when we went last year too.
A place popular with locals and has one of the nicest small beaches in the South of the island yet I don't ever remeber it getting a mention on here is Birzebbuga, a small resort not far from Marsaxlokk.

17 day and we are back again :hyper
Kiltman HT Mod wrote:
A place popular with locals and has one of the nicest small beaches in the South of the island yet I don't ever remeber it getting a mention on here is Birzebbuga, a small resort not far from Marsaxlokk.

17 day and we are back again :hyper

By that seems to have come around quick. Am jealous :cry
Kiltman,We are off to Malta in April and as we havent been for 35years we wondered if it is best to take Euros with us or is the rate better over there?
We've always found it's usually slightly better to change your currency in the country of choice no matter where it is you're going rather than buying it all in advance in UK.

Not sure what you're being offered in UK at the moment but when my parents arrived here in Cyprus a few weeks ago they saw it at £1 = €1.12 but here they could exchange at £1 = €1.15 and a bit with no commission and no minimum amount.

We exchanged it for them at £1 = €1.16 :)
Yep I agree that you will get a slightly better rate in Malta :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.