Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
marco polo
10 Posts
I've sailed on the Marco Polo, but it was a few years ago. It's a very robust ship as we felt very little movement sailing through the Bay of Biscay, even though the porthole resembled a washing machine!

It's quite a small ship and there was a high percentage of American passengers when we were on it. The food was excellent and there wre two sittings for dinner.

There weren't many activities onboard during the day and the entertainment wasn't very good - only one show at night which wasn't anything to write home about.

It was a very port-intensive cruise from Dover to Lisbon. The ports weren't as interesting as the Med ports, but were a pleasant day out.

I would sail on it again with a different itinerary.

luci :wave
Hi! We sailed from Athens to Venice. Loved the ship, they had fantastic breakfasts including kippers and steak and eggs (recommended). the food was excellent, the crew very friendly. The ship is quite small but has good facilities including jacuzzis, They had dancing lessons and a male host to dance with the ladies, and a very interesting series of lectures from an eminent speaker, also an art auction. the works of art were displayed around the ship. As Luci said, there's not too much going on in the evening. some of the shows had an american slant which went over our heads eg mentioning brands of medication and cakes that we'd never heard of, so we missed the point completely. there was also a piano bar which had singalongs and ballroom dancing upstairs. there was a karaoke night too. but a lot of people seemed to retire to their cabins after dinner or after the show.

the neg side was that as someone with asthma, I found there was a strong diesel smell around mid-ships and the travel arrangements were pretty horrendous. at Venice we were required to leave the ship fairly early in the morning and were kept quite a while in a transit hotel in the middle of nowhere before being delivered to the airport hours too early. really unfair. if it weren't for our luggage we would have spent the day in Venice and found our own way to the airport for our early evening flight.
The Marco Polo will be ending her Orient Lines final season at Lisbon in March 2008. I wonder who's buying her?
Some past shipmates of mine are just back from a Marco Polo cruise to the fjords. They thoroughly enjoyed it and were very impressed with the ship although it was by far the smallest and oldest that they had sailed on. It was a relief as I had forwarded them a really good offer and they had booked it immediately!

Once she returns from Brazil next Spring she will be taken over by Transocean Tours (a German owned company) and will be sailing out of Tilbury, marketed to British passengers.
http://www.transoceancruises.co.uk/
That's good news. Thank You Graig.
Has anyone any experience of this ship? I am considering cruising to Iceland with Mercury Direct ...... any experience of this company? Many thanks for all your help!
Hi Alsacienne

I have merged your post with an existing topic on the Marco Polo which may have a little information.

luci :wave
It must be good because all this year's cruises are sold out .... ggrrrhhhh!!
Its not owned but Orient Line aymore
http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-lines/marco-polo/
Pleny of cruises left for this year
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.