Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
I have been told that the Riads and NOT the hotels are the best options.

There are many sites but have a look at this one for starters. best to stay in the Medina.

http://www.ilove-marrakesh.com/index_en.html
another good site.

terremaroc

The wife and I are going in December and have yet to choose a Riad. Such a great choice. Breakfast is also alwaysincluded as well.
thanks for these links, the cheapest i have found myself is

http://www.freedomdirect.co.uk/

do you think the medina area will be very noisey at night as im a light sleeper and this was worrying me

ive looked at freedomdirect and i like the look of the moroccan house and the reviews are very good too oh decisions lol
From what I can understand the Riads in the Medina seem to be like an 'oasis'. I believe they are quite during the night.

One thing that you do need to make sure, especially if you are a light sleeper, is that you are not near a Minaret calling them to prayer at 4am i the morning!

There is one in the Medina but don't know where the others are.
umm yes youre right, we go to turkey a lot and the mosques start at 5am grr so best to take ear plugs i think

i cant make up my mind which hotel to stay in dont want too dear as we go away every few months , going to turkey on mon cant wait

keep reading the reviews and looking , as long as its clean, quiet and not too far away from everywhere ill be happy lol
just booked the l atlas in marrakech cant find any reviews but its 4 star so should be ok, ive asked advise on trip advisor and a chap living in marrakech has said its a good hotel, i got a very good price for it from freedomdirect ,it was coming out about £40-£50 dearer on other hotel booking sites, looking forward to it now
I've asked for the hotel to be added to our reviews Ellie.
thanks fiona i will do a review when i return in jan, ive just done letoonia turkey for you

karen
I'm hoping someone will review it for us before you go. :wink:
Thanks for the review - they do make a difference!
i know and as ive been going away about 5 times a year ive done loads as stay at different places and ive put loads of photos on for you

would be great if someone has been to l'atlas marrakech and does a report for me
Just returned from a short visit to Marrakesh. Stayed in a Riad called Dar Sil Sila. I actually chose it because it was top of a list of Riads on the trip advisor site. Although we enjoyed our time in Marrakesh and liked the Riad I was a bit disappointed that it really did not come up to all the expectations as mentioned on the site.

The Riad owner was a very nice person and actually mentioned that he was top of the list , so to speak. I cannot help but be a tad cynical and think , and this is only me thinking, that some of the reviews were a little 'manufactured'.

Having got that off my chest-- we did like the Riad but found it well overpriced. The 'taxi' arranged to meet us at the airport was three times the rate that one would pay by arranging it yourself.

The meal cooked in the hotel was very nice but, then again, was well overpriced. tripadvisor said it costs 15euros-- we were charged 20euros. I think a higher exchange rate was used to covert euros to dirhams for payment.

It is a pity that the Riad let itself down like this. My bill for the room was 400 dirhams too much and was changed when I queried it.

Riads are wonderful places to stay as they are in the Medina and a close walk to the big main square where it 'all happens'.
We have never been before but looking to go end of September. Have been looking at the Morrocan House Hotel and it has good reviews on Trip Advisor. The other place we have been looking at is Riad Jonan which is run by a Englishman.

Does anyone have any idea which would be best suited to adults on a 3/4 night short break who want to be near to the main square but get some sleep at night and can sample some good restuarants that are not too expensive? And what the weather might be like at the end of September.

Thanks
Riad Dar sil sila where we stayed was right at the top of the list on Trip Advisor. Somehow I am now a little cynical of those reviews. I had a gut feeling that they were manufactured a bit.

Having said that, it is very close to the main square if you remember which alleyway to take. If you do not get lost it would take about 10 mins slow stroll.

Sadly the roof terrace it has is terrible. Needs renovating. During December when we stayed it was not an issue as it was too cold at night but in September you would definitely want a place to sit out on at night.

My advice would be to stay in a Riad. They are a bit overpriced but worth it as they are unique for the country. try and get one with a small pool and a nice roof top terrace. You would not regret that.

Weather in September I would imagine would be hot and sunny but not unbearably hot. Hight 80's I would guess. Aircon in the Riad would be another MUST have.

Good luck.
Thanks Pedrogooner for your help I will have a look at some Riad hotels then but will give a wide berth to the one that you stayed in.

Will let you know how we get on but the Morrocan Hotel is looking like a contender. Just don't want to get it wrong. :shock:
Keep an eye on the reviews as I have asked for the Moroccan House to be added. :D
Thanks Fiona, it would be useful to get a few reviews from this site as Holiday Truths members haven't let me down yet and I trust this site. :D
I don't want tp put people off staying at the Riad Dar sil sila. It is just not as good as it is cracked up to be by the reviews on Tripadvisor.

I just think one has to be careful booking on the result of those reviews. That is what we did. The Riad was fine and the location was very good in terms of closeness to main square.

What disappointed me was the rip off by the owner with a taxi meeting us and his 'conversation' rates from pounds to euros to dirhams. He was definitely on the 'make'.

If one was aware of that and could be ready for it then I would recommend the Riad.

Good luck.
i came back from marrakech last night and whilst there met some people that were staying at the moroccan house, they were enjoying there stay there, said the food was good, it was about 10-15 mins walk from main sq the only thing they complained about was it was freezing cold at night, despite the weather being lovely whilst we were there

we were glad we didnt stay in 1 of the raids near the sq as my husband couldnt cope with all the hassle and noise it drove him crazy lol, so luckily we choose a hotel that suited us great and was only 1.25 in a taxi to the main sq, good luck with where ever you choose
Thanks Ellie Mae.
Which hotel did you stay in. Do you think maybe that the Morrocan House is a little too far out of everything?

Did you have a great time?

We thought maybe the Riad's near the square maybe a bit too much for us.
Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.