Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi.
We were in Mexico last August so hope I can advise. The resort we stayed at was at Playacar (Playa del Carmen). OUr hotel the Riu Tequila is part of a 3 hotel complex which allows you to use all the facilities of the 3 hotels excluding evening meal which has to be taken at your own hotel. YOu can find out more about these 3 hotels by visiting the review section of this forum. I'm sure you'll see that the reviews, particularly for the Tequila are excellent. Although we didn't visit Cancun we did a lot of research before deciding on Playacar and we weren't disappointed. From what I've read on various sites and reviews, Cancun is a lot busier and commercialized and does seem to attract more of a younger crowd. Maybe others who've been there will disagree, but this seems to be the general concensus.

You wll find plenty of direct flights from London and british citizens don't need a visa. You will however have to pay an exit charge when you check in for your return flight. Last year I think it was something like $40-$45 per person (someone correct me if I'm wrong on the cost)

If there's anything else I can help with let me know :wave:
Our boy's are a similar age to your children and we are trying Mexico for the first time as a family in April and staying at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo which is the between Cancun and Playacar. Hotel is part of a five Iberostar hotel complex and gets fab reviews, so we're very much looking forward to it.

My wife's been to Cancun and it's definitely more of a party resort and attracts young Americans for Spring Break, which can be any time from about mid Feb to early April.

From what I read about Cozumel, the sea is fantastic (for snorkelling) but the island itself is so-so and the Rivieria Maya (ie Cancun down to Playacar and beyond ) is a better place to stay. Fair bit to see and do around Playacar too, which is an attraction.

Flights are direct from Gatwick to Cancun with First Choice, who seem to be one of the better long haul charters, with better leg room than BA or Virgin.

Will, of course, post a review when we return.
Don't forget to check hotel reviews HERE ;)

Pippy :)
Oh, we found Mexico in 2006 amazing, it was our first holiday in 9 years, we have only been to spain before, never be happy with 'just spain' again.
We went to Akumal and stayed at the Akumal beach resort and it was fantastic, we didn't want to stay in Cancun as it seemed too busy. Akumal is approx 50 miles from Cancun. The humidity was strange at first, we'd never experienced anything like it, but you got used to it!! Turtles lay eggs on their beach and it's patrolled 24/7 and we snorkelled with the turtles which was just amazing, the sea is safe and you can swim/snorkel way out and the clarity was just amazing....can't fault it one bit!
We went in August, it was not crowded, pleasantly quite, entertainment wasn't in your face, just a few hours in the evening if you wanted to attend....the entertainment staff were outstanding!! The food was great, all inclusive, plenty of variety and we are veggies. The accommodation is two storey buildings, no lifts and spaced out along the beach. I emailed the hotel and requested a certain building and I got it, great! Our grand-daughter is nearly one and I can't wait to take her to Akumal, maybe when she is about 2 1/2.
I hope our holiday to Thailand on May 3rd is equally amazing.....but it will take some beating!

:wave: Susan
Thank you for your replies, most helpful!!

I have found a nice hotel, but then unfortunately went onto trip adviosr and they slated it!!! Though I have to say the majority of reviews were from Americans and they do tend to be rather fussy (no offence to anyone American I promise).

So am a bit confused now. The hotel was with First Choice and is the Gran Caribe Real Suites & Spa??
Anyone shed any light on it please.

Thanks
Hi Enchanted :wave i am going in May for the first time and staying in Riveria Mayo at the Eldorado Suites as i wanted relative low key, i dont think i will be dissappointed :) .
I know what you mean about reviews, they are so contradictory sometimes, however i wouldnt take too much notice of american reviews as their expectations seem to be so much higher and more "picky" than us.
I always go with F C and have never been let down yet :)
Phyll
The big problem with kids is that they stop being kids when they are over 12 for the purposes of making a booking - and most travel companies will only allow you to book 3A or 2A+2C to a room maximum.

If you can stand the grandparents - get them to book with you and they can 'take' one of the kids (most resorts will accomodate your kids with you once you can get past the travel company rules, then granma & Granpa get their own room too) - just email and ask if they would put an extra single bed in the room if you needed it.

The big peak for American & Canadian visitors is NOW - The resorts are stuffed Christmas through to the start of april, and again when they have public holidays. The rowdy Americans are spring breakers (end of march?) - Cancun with it's big nightclubs is the magnet for them, Playa / Riviera Maya is less attractive to them.

Hope that helps a little.
You don't say what the kids are or whether they can swim?
Chichen Itza is one of the new 7 wonders of the world but for a kid it will probably be boring. There is still one place you can climb but we couldn't get away from our tour guide in order to do so. However on the way to Chichen Itza they stop off at a Ceynote and people jump into the deep cold water! I'm not a strong swimmer and so didn't bother but everyone else looked like they were having fun.

XCarat is a cross between a theme park and a zoo. It has a website so you can research but the main attraction for the kids will be the underground rivers where you don lifejackets and snorkels and head off down river through the caves. Bit of an expensive day out but enjoyable.

Xel Ha is more hands on. It is cheaper but is all about getting in the water with the fish. The main attraction is to don life jackets and snorkels and jump on rubber rings to float down river taking in the sights. My kids actually had a giant turtle pop up amongst them. There are various activities along the way such as jumping about 15 ft into the water from the cliffs. Climbing across the river using a rope bridge, etc. Again it can be researched by their website.

Cancun is the main attraction for the Spring Breakers, and it is quieter down near Riviera Maya, which coincidentally is close to Xel Ha and Xcarat.
We stayed at the GBP Coba where there were loads of turtle eggs on the beach, but no turtles in the water, however I am led to believe that if you stay at the Akumal Beach Resort you can actually snorkel out and swim with turtles. I don't know how deep it is or how safe but it does seem to be a local attraction for Akumel itself.

We have always found that if you can keep the kids interested and occupied then everyone can enjoy the holiday!
Have fun wherever you choose.
Our daughter was 10 when we went to Cancun, and she had a great time. We visited Chichen-Itza, and Xcaret (INVALID URL including the Sea Walk, and we went over to Isla de Mujeres a couple of times for some snorkelling (take the bus into "downtown" Cancun, and get the local ferry at half the cost of the one from the Hotel Zone).
Well at long last and after a lot of brochure searching we are ready to book the Azul View by Karisma Hotel..... which is currently being built by the look of things!!!
We are going to travel with First Choice and going for 2 weeks end of March 2009.
Had a look at the Karisma website at their sister hoels and they look lovely, and the reviews look good too :)

So will be on here throughout the year asking questions no doubt. One question I'd like to ask (and I don't want to offend anyone) but can you swim with dolphins anywhere in the Riviera Maya resort??
I understand people have mixed feelings regarding this, but the kids have asked if it's possible.
Thanks everyone for your input.
hi try anyone of the riu hotels you cant go wrong we stayed in playacar in riu tequila was a1 as for a visa you should get a form to fill out on your flight there and hand in when you get of the plane ,you pay a departure tax of around 50 usd on the way home
We have stayed in Iberostar Toucan and Riu Palace Mexico both in Playacar both were fantastic but be warned, since we last went in 2006 the beach has eroded and its not like the photo's

have a look at trip advisor for candid photo's
emdia ......... thanks for that link.
Perfect, just what we'll be lookng for :)

We are all booked, only a year and bit to wait.
You're welcome. We did the Royal Dolphin swim with them in Cozumel ( we booked online) and it was an absolutely thrilling day! Unforgettable. :tup
Hi, We went to Mexico for the first time in February of this year and absolutely loved it. We stayed with friends in Puerta Vallarta and wanted to mention that there are quite a few 'all inclusive' hotels/resorts there which would be fun for your children. But don't remain in them! There is so much to do in PV and I can't recommend it highly enough. There is a great transport system which our friends knew well and we visited places all over the surrounding countryside and beaches, getting there by bus. Our friends have been spending their winters in PV for years, (we now live in Canada), so we were fortunate to have them to take us around. I loved the friendliness of the Mexican people and the food! There are hundreds of wonderful restaurants in PV, the beaches are fantastic and the old part of the city is beautiful. (Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton had houses in PV). I would choose it over what I've heard about the purely beach resorts and islands any time. Think 'Night of the Iguana' (the old movie was shot there): there are wonderful tropical flowers everywhere, flowering trees, iguanas and brilliantly coloured birds. Shopping is great; jewel coloured clothes locally made, silver, bead work and other crafts. There is an English language news paper, the Tribune, so it;s easy to discover all the things to do and see which are advertised in it. We are going back next year to San Blas which is north of PV and a good bird watching area...the feathered kind!
Hi,
I've just got a quick question - We'll be staying in Cozumel in September but want to go over to Playa del carmen by ferry for the day. What things should we def do? Bearing in mind we will only have a day there. We are going with First Choice and we will probably book with them to do Xcaret or something on another day so just little attractions we could do.

Thanks in advance =)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.