Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
We did both during our stay in Mexico many years go. It was the first time I'd ever snorkelled and I've been a huge an ever since. I can't remember how we got to each to be honest as it was so long ago. I'm sure someone who has been more recently can give you a better but I thought they were as good as each other when we visited.
The two parks are completely different in their own ways.

It also depends on the ages of the people you are on holiday with, if you have younger children with you Xcaret is probably the best option lots of things to see and do including the unmissable evening show.You definitely need a full day and evening to really appreciate the place.

Xel-ha on the other hand is primarily water based, the main attraction being the inlet/lagoon which is an experience in itself.Some operators combine Xel-ha in a the afternoon with a visit to the nearby ruins at Tulum in the morning.

Check the two parks websites Xel-ha:- http://www.xelha.com/ and Xcaret:- http://www.xcaret.com/ to get a feeling for the 2 places, if possible try to find time to visit both.
RG
catch a Collectivo (small minibus)

They run up and down the main highway from Cancun -Tulum (maybe even further)
You just wait at the side of the road and flag them down. Cant speak for Puerto Moreles but Playa del Carmen had a few Collectivo stands in the town itself.

so much cheaper than taxi

I'm sure you can get buses to both places as well.
how far are they both,from the riviera maya? as we are thinking,of sorting out,our own transport.i have looked at 1 site & the tickets with transport,is $50 more.so for 3 of us,i am thinking,it won't be $150 for return transport surely!
if i had an idea,how far away they are,it will make my decision easier,about what to do.
hope someone,can help :)
tracy
Which hotel and where exactly are you staying on the Riviera Maya, as it stretches quite away along the coast click here to give a basic idea :-http://www.cancunfirstclass.com/riviera-maya-map-eng.asp

Both Xcaret and Xel-Ha are in the area known as Riviera Maya, if you give a better idea as to where you are I may be able to give you better info.
RG
thank you RG!
we are staying,at the gran bahia principe riviera maya.
i didn't realise,it stretched so far.hope you can help,
tracy
We stayed at the GBP Coba. Xel Ha is a couple of stops down the road to the South, or take a Taxi.
You can go in all day and get a free meal included in the price. We did a leisurely drift down the river and a leisurely walk around the whole park. I also saw a large bird swimming under water with the fish!
There are Dolphins, so you can do a Dolphin experience, but the park is basically you with nature.

Xcarat is about 20-30 minutes to the North. Again you can take Taxis or buses and do it individually or the Xcarat buses run everyday from the hotels for those who book though the "reps".

With Xcarat, it is more like a theme park with bits of nature thrown in. There are the underground rivers to swim through, Mayan villages, Animals and Fish. There are also pools to swim in and shows to watch.
They also do the dolphin experience, but it can take out a lot of your day and it is a fairly expensive day. Apart from admission, extra for the dolphins, etc you also have to pay a hefty deposit for the lockers and snorkelling equipment.
steve,
so if there is alot to see & do at xcaret,would we be better,doing the dolphin swim at xel-ha?
we are visiting both parks,but have been undecided,at which one to do the swim,so what would be your advice?
also is there,anywhere to book,other than with the reps,that maybe a little cheaper or should we book directly with their web site?
thanks in advance
tracy
We did not see any dolphin activities at Xel Ha and so cannot comment on the package. We WERE told that the same company run the attractions and so the package was the same. Ours did it at Xcarat and basically tied us up from the time we arrived till about 1:30. They did book previously with the rep but still had to stand in line at the entrance to get their "allocation". As people were paying this was a slow moving queue and they only just got going in time. If we had accepted the earlier time suggested by the rep we would have missed it!
On the Xel Ha plus side it is only a bus stop down and is considerably cheaper to go in so if you don't feel you have done enough the first time due to taking too much time with the dolphins it is much cheaper and easier to come back again.

I think all the reps offer the same package prices. Not really sure as our rep was local and for most of our trips due to the size of our family we had a dedicated minibus with the one seat left for the rep!

I seem to remember that I could book cheaper from the websites but then one was restricted to a particular day and I couldn't think that far in advance!
thats great!
thats what is putting me off booking,on their site,they need a date & i don't really know,till we get there & have a feel for the place.
thanks so much,for your help,
tracy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.