Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hello Karen
My family and I are going to Occidental Xcaret at the beginning of May so hopefully I can answer some of your questions when we come back.
If you have anything you want me to find out while I am there let me know and I will see wat I can do.

As for the free day at xcaret, it is a ticket for entry into the park and I have found out that you can leave the park and go back for the show in the night.

Simon
SIMON Great - many thanks for responding.

Just the lowdown would be great. I'm confused on the Peso/Dollar thing (easily confused)

Also I was thinking of doing the Dolphin swim, and I was wondering if it was cheaper to buy the tickets on line from Xcaret Park direct, or cheaper to get them there.

Husband and son are both divers, but somewhere I saw someone say the dive office were not very helpful so when to divemike up the coast, so some feedback on the diving options.

And best deals on excusions - local rep or book on line - someone one the net recommended entertainment-plus.net to book tours thru.

I just like to have some idea of what I'm getting if I can.

But look forward to hearing about your holiday

THANKS
KAREN
If anyone would like to add their review, please do so HERE.

Thanks.

Pippy :wave
No problem I will find out as much as I can while I am there.

Also will write a report when I come back.

Simon
Our Taxi driver told us that Xcarat can be said 2 ways, the other translated means "It is expensive", which is a local joke.
3 of our party booked the dolphin experience through the rep for 11 am. When you arrive at the park, you have to register for the dolpins even though you have already paid. The queues are slow and all the coaches arrive at the same time, so being next door nip in as soon as the park is open. You have to turn up about 1/2 hour early and they take you through a long talk about what is going to happen. Then they split you into groups and you are sent to the dolphins. There are a couple of photographers in attendance and all the activities are done with them in mind. Get someone to film for you and there views will be off, back shots or in the case of the jumps, missed as the photographers can see the dolphins but the spectators cant until they are out of the water, nice shots of the splash though!
After the show the participants are taken to the viewing room to dry off, where the videos and phtographs of the experience are shown. You can off course buy the photos, something like $25 dollars each, or you can buy the DVD which was over $100, if you wanted all the photos on the DVD as well the price went close to $300. By the time we got them away from the dolphin experience it was 1:30 so 3 hours had gone by while the rest of us waited.
What else don't they tell you?
Our rep told us that our a/i ticket included 5 drinks, 4 for the day and one for lunch, plus lunch. It also included the equipment and locker hire. I had an argument on the bus as the ticket was for 2 drinks only, I was led to believe the rep was at fault, but when I later challenged the rep, he was upset and showed me the XCarat literature provided by Xcarat to him, showing that the a/i ticket did entitle you to 5 drinks etc. they had obviously changed the entitlement without ensuring that the information was passed on.
The other exciting thing is the equipment and locker hire for the underground river float, basically a 50p snorkel, decent face mask, Flippers (mine kept coming off) and life jacket. What they don't tell you before hand is that there is a deposit required for each locker. I think it was in the region of $40 each as we had to find $400 between us, which is a bit of a shock if you are not expecting it. There are also 2 ways through the tunnels, one is mostly underground, the other is not. You have to make the decision which you want just before you get in the water. Your belongings are put in a bag which is then locked and you are given a key. at the other end you give them the key and you can have your belonging back. One couple managed to lose the key and so spent the rest of the day waiting for their belonging to be released back to them. You also have to get a receipt for the equipment you hand back or you wont get your deposit back on the locker. You can walk all the way back up and do the other river if you want to. We ran out of time big time and ended up looking at the Mayan village in the dark. Found another family down there who we had to guide out as they were lost!
We watched the mayan pole dancers and then found they did the same show but inside during the evening show so we could have saved a bit of time there.
Steve

Many thanks for that. It sounds like DiscoveryCover in Florida - where you sit in a very nice cabana while they try to sell you photos.

Does anyone know of any other Dolphin swims that are better value.

Brilliant insight into the things they dont tell you. MANY THANKS

Anyone else with any insider info would be great.

THANKS KAREN
Don't get me wrong.They did enjoy the dolphin experience and it was quite a long program. You being so close may have easier access, you will have to wait for a few reports to come back.
The rest of us only watched as we had been the year before in Cuba for a lot less. I think it is one of those things that once you have done it, that's it. In fact I left the Cuban experience mid way through as by then I had touched and been up close to a dolphin. One got over amorous and nearly drowned me on my way out, but it was all part of the show and had everyone in stitches (except me!).
I nipped out and filmed the rest of the family enjoying their experience and that was a major difference between the two. In Cuba, official photos were about £2.50 and they even offered to take photos for you with your own camera. OK so the official photographer wasn't digitised and waiting for you as you left the water, but everyone received their photos in the hotel when promised and at a reasonable cost.
If the dolphins is something you want to do then my daughter reckoned that the Xcarat experience was much better than she had a couple of years previous just down the road in Puerto Aventuras.
Thanks Steve, am looking forward to it all.

K
hi, my family went to occidental xcaret in oct 06 and we all thought it was fantastic. cant comment on diving as we dont do it but you should enjoy your stay here. when we went there was a lot of americans and canadians and not many brits but it wasnt a problem. we found the meals great with plenty of choice. walking around the grounds which are kept lovely we met all sorts of wildlife and loads of iguanas. the staff here are pleasant and always happy to help. we had our free day in xcaret which didnt include any drinks but it was a great day with lots going on. we took a taxi ride into playa del carmen a couple of days and ate there one night for something different. we didnt have any problems booking the a la cartes at the hotel and particularly enjoyed the chinese. i am sure you will have a great time at this hotel.happy holidays
Cart 583

Many thanks for your comments. Sounds like you had a good time, and makes me look forward to it even more.

Hope you have good hols this year too.

Thanks Karen
Hi

Just to say anyone new reading this, I'm looking for advice, comments, suggestions on the OCCIDENTAL GRAND FLAMENCO MEXICO and to say Hi to anyone else foolish enough only to be able to get their works holiday in July/August who will be going.

Also can anyone confirm if it's pronounced Sha'caret.

Useful tips etc welcome from anyone.

THANKS
Karen
Wow, many thanks for response.

If I've understood correctly, XCaret is pronounced EESHcaret

It may be laugh as they called it XCaret on Thompson TV holidays in Mexico the other day!

Thanks
Karen
We have just got back from Grand flamenco Xcaret after a wonderful 2 week holiday, will get around to writing a report soon, but if anyone would like to ask any questions, feel free. I will do what I can to answer them.

Simon :cheers :tup
Simon

Thanks for reading and responding to the thread, much appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you on your return. Already jealous of someone going so early (and outside hurricane season .....) one question is the Ecopark - if we wanted a second day whats the best option, book on line in UK, book through hotel or whilst in the Ecopark.

Husband and son like are divers, and any feedback on the dive shop would be good.

Also best options on trips out would be good, so I can budget and plan (I'm in therapy for that)!!

Thanks Karen
Hi Karen
I didn't realy enjoy xcaret park that much, I did the underground swim which was pretty good, Other people I spoke to enjoyed the park. We went back for the nightshow which was pretty good. As for returning for a second day there is a seperate office in the lobby which is where you get your wristband to get in to xcaret. The return charge is only $20 us, so its good value.

As for diving I did't fancy it as the caribbean is rough and I only like diving in calm waters. I did go fishing with an american whose wife went with a dive shop in puerto aventurous. There is a resident dive company at xcaret located next to one of the pools (fun club pool) I think prices are very similar throughout.

As for trips my daughter and her boyfriend did the Chichen Itza trip a long hot day but they enjoyed the history and swimming in the cenote on the way back, We also did a catamaran trip, I don't know what the sea will be like when you get there but If it is still rough take sea sickness pills. maybe ten out of our party of forty plus were seasick.

My wife did the dolphin swim at puerto aventurous enjoyable but a long day if you book the dolphin plus which includes interaction with manatees and sea lions.

I went fishing twice which was great I landed two dolphin fish and hooked a white marlin which was the highlight of my holiday (shame I lost it)

The above trips were booked through thomas cook rep prices were the same everywhere to what I could see.

also I think it has been asked which currency to take us dollars or pesos, I read somewhere that you are in mexico so take pesos, That is not the case everything is in us dollars so if I were to go again, I would take us dollars only another reason for this is the lowest note in pesos is 20 so I was tipping twenty pesos which is nearly £1, but the dollar would have been just over 50p

Hope this has helped and I don't think that the hotel will dissapoint you at all

Simon

If you are thinking of getting any duty free or gifts at the airport on the way back, They do not except pound sterling
Hi
We are looking at booking the occidental xcaret hotel for next year, I know its a long time away but I really want to get it right! Has anyone stayed here recently , I have read lots of good reviews ,with a few odd bad coments but I realise thats generally the way reviews go.
Some friends we are going with (there will be 8 of us)have gone all inc before but it was in Turkey and they had a terrible experience with the dining rooms being a noisy free for all overcrowding etc. I would like to know how busy the restaurants get really please and what is the standard of the food like in them please?
I hear the beach is small too (and man made) Do you think this matters.
Really if anyone can help us to decide we will be grateful please.
thanks in advance
Mel
i am going here over christmas and new year with my stepson a bit wary as we did a late break to turkey all inclusive as a late break and it was a nightmare :que :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.