Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
I can't remember seeing minibuses at Monastir though I admit I've never really looked. Skanes is only about 10 minutes down the road from the airport so whatever you do don't pay more than 10 dinars - 6 would still give the driver a profit. Tell the driver where you want to go and say 'kadesh? (how much?) In the unlikely event he quotes a decent price you can accept it, otherwise look at him in feigned amazement that he could think you were an idiot, say 'la, gahli barcha' ((no, too expensive) and work from there. 'Negotiation' is the name of the game, otherwise known as haggling hard. :rofl Going back to the airport from Sousse in May I was quoted 20 dinars but he was perfectly happy with 10, though I was travelling alone and only had one suitcase. Bear in mind that prices do go up by around a third after about 8.30 p.m. Incidentally try to hang on to your cases or a porter will try to grab them. Not only will he want a tip but will also take you to a taxi from whom he will probably get another tip. If you do use a porter he will accept (and expect) at least £1 if you have no dinars.
Aslemma, thanks very much for the info. I sort of look forward to the haggling ever since we went to Sharm last year, it sounds pretty much the same sort of culture in Tunisia which all adds to the holiday fun.

Thanks again
Following my experience of this year, my 5th visit to Tunisia btw, I would always insist on the trip being metered. When we arrived at Tunis airport we were given a price to the town of 20TD, we agreed on 15TD. On the return journey, town to airport, which was on the meter, we paid 7TD and that included 1TD for each bag. The bag tarriff should be added to the metered fare at the start of the journey, as presumably, extra passenger may be. As aslemma says, watch out for the porters they're very quick, like magpies.

On the "haggling" issue, haggle hard, we asked about the price of a pair of sandals for my wife, 45TD we were told, we bought them for 10TD, they had all but worn out in four days. I needed a belt, I forgot to pack mine, asked the price, 15TD, I walked away with a belt for 5TD, again the quality was not excellent but it kept my trousers up for the time that we were there.

Kevin

But, do enjoy, Tunisia is a lovely place, with lovely people
I've just had a look and Lowcost actually do transfers, but it would cost you £60.87 each way for a private transfer from Monastir to Skanes for 7 people, which I personally think is anything but 'low cost', more like daylight robbery for a journey listed as approximately 20 minutes!! I put in a date in August and the result is on the link below.

http://www.lowcosttaxis.com/search-results/AR/Tunisia_MIR/SKN/16-08-2009/1330///7/0_UKL/

Med Hotels however is quite a bit better: £1.23 per person each way in shared transfer or £7.37 per person direct (up to 8 people).

http://www.medhotels.com/transfer/tr_viewprice_search.asp?Lang=EN

I've used Med Hotels in the past and will be using them again in September from Tunis to Sousse. If your hotel isn't listed, a smile and a tip (direct to the driver) will usually do the trick.
Thanks Aslemma, I'll probably give Med a try.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.