Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
1. Yes it is long haul
2. Don't know if there is a minimum seat pitch for long haul. We flew to Kenya many years ago with British Caledonian and only had 28-29" legroom which was extremely uncomfortable.
3. Yes we have been onboard before when they have refuelled. Another member on HT has a flight from Bristol to Orlando which is stopping in Manchester to refuel so it's common practice.

luci :wave
I don't think that there are minimum requirements for seat pitch.

I think that you can refuel with passengers on board. The whole process would have taken much longer with everybody going off the plane and then going back on. It would have taken hours probably.

Mark :)
Thanks guys.

I thought the CAA set down rules on seat room for flight that were long haul or am I now imagining it?

:tup
having just spent half hour researching several site it seems the international min seat pitch irrespective of distance flying is .....

wait for it

TWENTY EIGHT INCHES

see this

technical stops for refuelling require [as far as i can ascertain] that steps are places out side the doors and passengers release seat belts..

wizard
Well I must say that is just plain horrendous. When sitting, I measured the length required just to sit with my legs in front and got 26" to the knee.
There is no way that the distance on our flight was 29" as they stated, unless its measured without padding and foam. :que

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it :tup
Seat 'pitch' is measured without padding and foam! I always understood that it refers to the distance between a fixed point on one seat and the same fixed point on the seat on front/behind. In effect it is the total space allocated per seat including passenger space. I would assume that the easiest way of measuring it on the plane is actually to measure the gap between the floor fixing bolts of the underseat stantions. Have a look next time you fly and it will make you realise just how small the seat pitch is on most flights!

SM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies.
Hopefully the next flight in May will be OK as I asked about seat pitch and the say its 32" maybe 33". Time will tell.

:cheers :cheers
If you are concerned about seat pitch , why wait until your flight in may ?
You can use the internet to reasearch what the seat pitch will probably be, well before you fly.
At least then you will be aware of the facts before you travel
( unless there is a last minute change of the type of plane normally used )
Hovis,

That's what happened. They changed out flight 2 weeks before departure and we couldn't get any info about what was happening.

I am pre booking our seats in April and already know the aircraft type (unless they change it again) and asked the TO what seat pitch it is.
They said 32-33".

Thanks again for the replies :tup
and asked the TO what seat pitch it is.
They said 32-33".

That sound like a guestimate.

fwh
Most don't seem to know anyway. ;)

I'm not quite so bothered as this is a daytime flight and only 5 1/2 hrs as opposed to 9 1/2 hrs at night. :tup

I'm hoping the above link will give me more info :)
Thanks luci,

I found that, but I dont know for sure what type we are flying on :tup :tup
IF you post in the What Plane? topic at the top of our Flights forum one of our members should be able to answer. If not immediately, Dazbo should return from holiday in about a week and should be able to answer then.

monarch 29" economy 34" premium economy.. this is pitch not legroom
ZZR6, just because a plane is old does not means 'its not a good plane'.

As long as an aircraft is kept in good mechanical health then its not a problem. The Monarch A300's are 17/18 years old which is not actually that old.

Northwest Airlines in America operate some DC-9 aircraft that are 38 years old and they are still providing reliable service.

Now seatpitch is another matter but there is nothing wrong with the Monarch A300 fleet from a mechanical point of view.

Many UK airlines operate aircraft of a similar age to Monarch.

Better to have an old well looked after jet than a new neglected one!
Jeez, this is a pain not having a quote button :really :D :D

I didnt mean it in a bad way, but I know that the older planes tend to be more cramped in some respects due to older design.

The plane would be fine for a city hopper with a maximum of 3 hrs duration. 9 1/2 hrs is just ripping the **** a bit :(

I never said it was mechanically unsound :tup
ZZR6 wrote:
Jeez, this is a pain not having a quote button :really :D :D

As you can see, there is a Quote button. ;) When you click Reply, scroll down to the message you want to quote from and click Quote there.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.