Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Money in Gambia
10 Posts
HI ,Not being funny but if your going out every day take lots, the Gambia is becoming an expensive place to holiday, The country seems to believe the west has money trees,I tell them I return when the cash ripens and I can pick it to bring with me. cheers ,maxie
Hi there.

We got back a few days ago. We spent £440 in a week for 2 of us. Included in that is the money for safety deposit box at 500 dalasis and a trip that cost 3400dalasis for 2 of us.......so about £100 on that so really we spent £340 on food, drinks and 'stuff'.

The trips can be expensive and we didn't go with the thour rep either. As for food and drink the price varies greatly. Dearest meal was 960 dalasis.....£24.....cheapest was 460dalasis......£11ish. this includes drinks.

Therefore you can spend as much or as little as you want really. Advice is to not eat at hotel or actually any of the places directly on the beach for lunch as they are a lot dearer than going up the 'strip'. A bottle fo Julbrew lager varied from 25dalasis to 45dalasis.

Hope this helps.
OOOppss...realise you posted at beginning of December! Hope you had a good holiday anyway!!!!
We had a fab time and will definately be going back.

We found the hotel really expensive for both food and drink. But up the strip the food was cheaper and sometimes a lot nicer.

Would recommend - Jojo's, GTS and Jewel of India.

We took some cash and a nationwide cash card and had no problems changing money or using the cash machine. Only on one night did the cash machine run out of money. x
Always take a combination. Cash will get the best rate of course, travellers checks are the safest, delassi small notes are good if you are getting your own transport to your hotel, cards are very hit and miss though I have used mine once before.
HI Cards VISA only ARE supposed to be available at certain banks (standard chartered ) I believe, correct me if I am wrong, only 2000 dalasi a time may be withdrawn at one time (in as many multiples as you or your card allow at one visit) more than 3 or 4 at a time may block your card. ATMS are at Sennigambia, then opposite the petrol station at the traffic lights (kairaba highway) I believe,
further on up the road at westfield close to the round-a -bout on left hand side if coming up kairaba highway, ..the right if travelling from serrakunda again all atms are maximum withdrawal of 2000 dalasi, remember each transaction may cost you over 3 pounds in charges, hope thats a help, Cards are good for an emergency. cheers chill maxie :fly :fly
They are exchanging only 35 delassi to the pound today. There is a big flight in from Russia.They have the oil so theres little credit crunch there.
HI Oh russia is suffering ,the whole world is ,just some african leaders feel they are exempt,the leaders are ...... its the locals who suffer,hope you all enjoyed your hols ,off on the 23rd ,here comes the sun, :fly just less to spend cheers all maxie :fly
Hi Always use nationwide flex card no charge best rates.But have some cash in just case long queues
at the atms
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.