UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Morecambe
5 Posts
Hi :wave:
Here are a few ideas

Happy Mount Park - in the Bare area in Morecambe
The Tern Project - on the promenade, interesting art works, including the Eric Morecambe memorial statue. Most are found between the Clock Tower and Stone Jetty. Here you can also visit the newly renovated art deco Midland Hotel.

Take the bus to olde worlde Heysham Village, used to be famous for it's nettle beer, the stunning setting of the ancient church, ruins and open graves, on the cliffs are worth seeing.
The old town of Lancaster is only 5miles away, and there is a good bus service. Lancaster Castle and the Williamson Park, with it's impressive Ashton Memorial, would be worth a visit.

All these have websites for more info, except Heysham, hope you enjoy your stay, and the beautiful views across the bay, the sunsets can be amazing.

x lassi
Morecambe town is very tired, but the Midland Hotel is stunning and should hopefully be a start to turning things round. Agree about the public artworks which are some of the best I've seen. The Eric Morecambe Statue, the iron represntation of the view across the bay with all the lakeland peaks labelled and the smaller works on the pier are highlights for me.

Lancaster is just down the road and the rail service will get you further afield - Arnside and Grange-over-sands are both worth a visit.
We have very happy memories of daytrips to Morecambe when our kids were small, many years ago, but back then our only requirements were beach and sea, don`t know how we`d feel if we went back now. I remember a little stone pier or jetty with a paddling pool which the kids loved, and a small funfair. Later in the year there were the illuminations, which were in a local park, and wonderful, and safe, to walk round at night. Do they still have these illuminations? We live too far away for daytrips now, alas.
A leisurely walk along Morecambe promenade, especially in this weather is lovely - There is a lovely walk in Heysham by Ocean Edge Caravan Park or Along the canal, or simply along the sea front is beautiful. There are some really lovely sections of beach where I have taken in nieces in the past for picnics and paddling in the past (although I wouldn't do any more than paddle!).

When did you say that you are going? There is a Kite festival every year along Morecambe Promenade, this year it is on the 19th July, and I would highly recommend a look if you are in the area at this time.

As someone has mentioned Lancashire is a short bus or train ride way (only 5 mins on the train) and there is a lot of history in Lancaster - The Maritime Museum, the Judges Lodgings Museum, Lancaster castle. Also in Lancaster is Ashton Memorial and Williamson's park which again is highly recommended if you have time, there is the butterfly house here as well, which is great, although maybe more for kids (that said I always enjoy it). Lancaster Leisure Park and GB Antiques Centre is also in South Lancaster and are famous in the area for actually have a bull run through their china shop!

Then there is the new Midland in Morecambe which is worth a look, and there are a number of smaller pubs for great lunches, the royal in Heysham is one.

There are a number of bird and wildlife watching events on year round, have a look on the city coast and countryside website for events in the area.

If you go a little South of Morecambe to Carnforth there is the station and visitors centre, which was the location for ‘Brief Encounter'.

The are always some good, reasonably priced, shows on at The platform in Morecambe or in Lancaster there is the Grand Theatre and The Dukes, The Dukes also have an open air play at williamsons park during the summer, which are always very entertaining.

Finally you can not come to Morecambe without sampling some of the local delicacies -Morecambe Bay potted shrimps, Lancashire cheese or Lancashire hotpot.

I hope that you have a wonderful trip!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.