Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi, Have been to El Gouna five times. Not yet stayed at Movenpick will be in September. We've always opted for the coach transfers takes around 30 - 40 mins to get to El G from Hurghada, then depends on how many drop offs. From past experience, usually coach for Movenpick only stops at the Arena first, which is just a couple of minutes away. Only one down side of the coach, last time we went, some travellers decided to get a taxi, and very kindly did not let any of the reps or fellow travellers know. We waited for over an HOUR! sitting outside the airport, not happy bunnies!!! On that occasion it wasnt a very large coach, other times they have been the normal size ones.

El Gouna itself I think is a bit like Marmite!! I have seen some reviews from people who just don't like it, others, like me, who want to keep going back! Very quiet during the day time, not usually much busier in the evening, unless there is a local holiday and the place then fills up with local holidaymakers. I think the quiet could be due to the amount of hotels doing all inclusive, people staying in hotel grounds rather than venturing out. It is however very safe, lovely to get around, walking, little buses or tok toks. Loads of restaurants to suit just about all tastes. Have only ventured to Hurghada once, on organised trip with meal at Hard Rock. Wasnt keen, doubt we would go back!!

We missed going last year, went to Luxor for a couple of weeks instead. Can't wait to get back to see what's changed! Hope you enjoy!! :tup
Hi dizzyblone

Was really pleased to get your reply :tup didn't know if anyone on HT had been there. You must love it if you have been there 5 times.
I've been to sharm 4 times but really fancied a change & have often thought about going to El Gouna and felt it was time to take the plunge. I think we will like it, as i am already aware of the set up with it being a purpose built resort, but so is Sharm. I like the idea of it all being set round lagoons and it being a no hassle resort.

We are only there for a week and I have only booked bed and breakfast at the Movenpick although I understand it has a few restaurants of its own, we may try one or two of them. Otherwise I guess it will be the place that is called 'downtown' that is supposed to have a lot of nice high standard places to eat & bars. We will probably stay round the pools during the day & maybe do a snorkelling trip.

If you have any restaurant recommendations I would love to hear them, we like most things really, international cusine and local food?

Which hotel do you normally go to?

Doe :sun2
Hi Doe, we have had some really great deals in the past few years for the Arena Inn "cheap and cheerful", but we had no problems with it. We think El Gouna is such an easy place to get around, and we still havent eaten at all the restaurants! There is something to suit just about everyone, and each to their own etc., but if you like Thai, the White Elephant has always been really good. (Although Movenpick do have their own Thai restaurant). The Oriental serves Egyptian food, the freshly cooked bread is delicious. Athena the Greek Restaurant is another good one, Upstairs, Captain's Inn, Bleu Bleu, there are so many,just about every nation covered, oh not forgetting Miss Saigon, Vietnamese. There are also some new ones opened since we were last there, so much choice! Restaurants are either Downtown or around the Marina. Downtown is split into two areas, Tamr Henna and El Khafr (apols for the spelling!) but overall not too big to walk around to check it all out. The marina is within walking distance, if you dont mind walking in the heat, but probably best to go by toc tock or bus first to see whether you fancy the walk or not. You can get weekly bus tickets which also cover some of the boat taxis around the lagoons, one of which picks up at the Movenpick.

You should find the El Gouna magazine in your hotel room, which lists all the restaurants, and also all local activities. This can be accessed on line, will be the winter version at the mo, sorry no idea of the web address but if you google it you should find it.

I've probably repeated what you already know, but happy to help - we can't wait to go back in September!!
Hi dizzyblond

Brilliant information you aren't repeating. I'm getting my info from somewhere called http://www.elgouna.com which I think is the official el gouna web-site.

I think I got an great deal for a 5* hotel it was about £550 a week per person, a bit more for my DD as she will have a room for sole occupancy. I need to find out the email addy for the hotel as I want to request two rooms next to each other & we travel in April.

Have you been in April as wondering how the weather will be. I know I can check the weather sites but its often better to ask someone how it 'feels' ?

Been to Sharm March/April & Oct. It's fine during the day in March & April, but still be chilly at night especially mid March - we have sat in naama bay in coats. Much better in October as it was hot in the day and lovely at night.

I'm worried it will be too windy to sit outside restaurants at night, as I know its supposed to be windy there.

We have been in April, as I recall it tended to be a bit more windy than September, but plenty warm enough, even at night. I think we might have seen some cloud in April, was quite a surprise! Have never been to EG and found we had to wear jackets, but we havent been in the "winter months". Not windy all the time, and it is something you get used to, the outside areas of some of the restaurants are sheltered, although I do remember our prawn crackers flying down the street when we were sitting outside the Thai one night! :rofl

Don't know if you have found the web site with all the pics, elgouna-info, it is a german site mainly but tons of pics well worth a look!
LOL at the prawn crackers :rofl Not come across that web-site will have a look, I assume that means El Gouna gets a fair amount of German guests then, which can only be a good thing as it normally means high standards & good food to be had. :tup

I know it will be quiet as it is a quiet resort, just hoping it isn't exceptionally quiet due to the downturn in Egyptian tourism and the recession in general, dont want to be the only ones in restaurants as that can make you feel a bit awkward.

I will put up a review of the movenpick on HT when I come back & happy to answer any questions about the hotel although I doubt of there is anything you dont know about the place as presumably you have had a look round on some of your previous visits. Begining to wish I was going for 2 weeks.

Always look forward to new reviews, hope you enjoy. We have walked through part of the Movenpick grounds, although only the periphery. It was June 2010 when we were last there, the Fanadir and Mosaique hotels in the new marina weren't open then, so will be interesting to see whats new. I know there is now a company doing Segway tours, got to have a go at that! If you like checking out new property, Orascom the development company do tours around the properties. All the new villas were way out of our price range, but spent a couple of hours in an air con range rover driving round the developments (we were not put under any pressure, they took my e mail address but I haven't been bombarded with any sales stuff). Was yet another way of seeing parts of EG we might not have walked around. Might not be everybody's cup of tea, but was a break from all that really tough lounging around pool side... !!!
Sounds fun :tup don't suppose we could afford it either though.

When I was booking a Villa holiday for this summer to Spain, I did notice that James Villas offered quite a few up market looking properties in El Gouna, so I guess owners must rent out through them as they have a good reputation & as a holiday maker you get similar protection to a package holiday, so more secure than a DIY. I would have been tempted if we weren't going to a villa in the summer as I like to mix it up a bit & wanted a hotel and the facilities that go with it for this break.

there must be loads of villas to rent in EG. Much prefer hotel myself, being a bit spoilt for a couple of weeks. Just hope you enjoy the Movenpick :sun2
I'm fairly confident we will, the only gripe I have read about it is how large it is and spread out & that really isn't an issue to us, it wouldn't worry me i I had 7 min walk to breakfast etc infact I would like it! People moaning it isn't intimate. But then one persons idea of intimate is another persons idea of cramped and crowded as we area all different.

The only other possible issue I guess if if we get rubbish rooms as I beleive only some have been renovated, I did pay extra to get rooms with balconys, so fingers crossed. No idea how busy it is out there, but am assuming if we dont like the first rooms offered if they have other vacant rooms they will let us move as that is what most good quality hotels will do, provided they are not at 100% capacity. I will email beforehand though.

Well I have just emailed the hotel with some room requests and printed off this thread incase HT disappears in the next few weeks and hopefully I will be able to submitt a review at some point in the future.

Still a few weeks before i go, but thought I should try and secure some of the information if at all possible, as folk ahve been good enough to take the time to supply it.

Well they pick up their emails promptly, they sent me one back in under 24 hours saying thanks for mine and they had noted my room requests and whilst they can't guarantee anything they will do their best for me. Can't say fairer than that I guess. I requested a specific room cluster as I had read it was quiet, but if I dont get is so long as the location isn't noisy we should be OK.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.