Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Hi Wooley, to stop the itching make a paste of bicarbonate of soda and apply to the bites. I swear by Avon Skin So Soft dry oil spray to stop the bites in the first place. Garlic capsules are also good. Hubby got bitten realy bad last year in Alcudia, and he's not normaly bothered by them. Me? I never got a bite lol, hubby says they only like sweet meat.. :lol: Linda x
Thanks Linda, will try that now does it mke any difference if the skin is broken i'm afraid i have scratched until they have bled and the darn things still itch.
Hi Wooley, we got back from Alcudia last night as well! Luckily I didn't fare too bad this time, but Saturday night was horrendous and a friend literally got eaten alive, bumps coming up as we watched. Lovely guy at the chinese we were at gave us all spray and lit candles which seemed to clear them, apparently it was the rain earlier in the day! Also I think Alcudia is bad because of the lakes.
eeek! doesn't sound good we are going to C'an picafort in july and I bought my 1st mossi spray today whislt shopping cos my husband and daughter are prone to bites sounds like I will need to buy bucket loads of the stuff in preperation!

I read somewhere if you use lemon soap they don't like this is this right??
Also a number of years ago I remember buying a wrist band for my daughter as a mossi reppelat she was only 5 at the time so it was from mothercare can you get anything similar for adults now???
I think you can get those wrist bands from QVC, dont know how good they are though
Hi Wooley, re the broken skin. The only thing I can say is that this was also reccommended by the doctor for chickenpox, and the spots were open at the time. It didn't do any harm lol, but to be safe try the bicarb on just a couple of spots first. Good luck, Linda x
Hi, we've just got back from a week in Alcudia and myself and hubby were both bitten by mozzies, I came out worse, had to visit the docs today for antihistamines and antiboitics, leg swollen and itchy.

We found the worst place for them was around the bellevue complex because of the lakes, we have been to alcudia for 5 years and this is the worst year for them.

Even the supermarkets were advertising the spray at the tills which is the first time ive seen that.

Beware when you go, be prepared and use spray.
All in all had a great time
:D
You can also get those wristbands and other insect repellant stuff at http://www.roamingfox.co.uk. Just ordered some myself for our holiday to Alcudia in September,sounds like we,ll need it!
Hi All,

Did any of you use repellent at all, i'm going to alcudia on 17th and i must say the i'm a bit scared now. :shock: i have been to turkey twice and people said it was bad over there but we were never bothered by one!!! but now i gotta say i'm a bit worried because its my daughters first holiday (she's 3 and a half) i am takin the plug in repellents and a boat load of spray, i bought the after bite stuff and also a tip for the bites wooley Calamine lotion is a god send, i use it for anything itchy, and it works. i am takin tea tree oil too i've heard they dont like that.

Any tips would really really helpful!!!!!!!!!!
Ta in advance xxx
Hi we returned from the bellevue on the 28th may, glorious suntan and big bite marks too...
we used the jungle formula tropical strength,and still managed to get bitten, however not one of my little ones were bitten at all, for them we used again the jungle formula but the family lotion on them as they are all under 6.
Most of the bu=ite occured whilst being near to the lake once away from there we werent too bad, hope this helps
oh marmites is supposed to be good for keeping them away, i actually witnessed two adults standing outside the colber supermarket eating the stuff with a spoon!!
Hi, my 2 children did not get bitten at all, they are 11 and 5, we bought some mozzie wipes from a supermarket , it is mainly around the lake area that is the worse, once away from there it is ok

have a happy holiday, you will enjoy it.
Hi all,

thanks, that's reassuring, i have tea tree spray in conditioner and i'm defo takin it n soaking myself, i'm a born worrier lol.

8 sleeps left :pele :pele :pele :pele
Hi, we are off to Camp de Mar in 9 days time and to ward off Mosquitos I have been taking a garlic tablet and also vitamin B complex tablet for the last few weeks. I have also got my jungle strength spray. A plug in for the room and lemon soap to use as apparently they do not like smell of lemon. Also my Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil Spray in the Soft & Fresh variety as this is the one that has citronella in it - apparently there was a newspaper report a good while back that the army uses this to keep mosquitos/midgies away while out on training exercises.
I am certainly going prepared and after all the effort I have put in hope to avoid being bitten !!
Hi everyone

just joined today - off to Bellevue Apartments next weekend and was just wondering about the mozzies etc. Haven't bought anything apart from insect repellant wipes so far... anybody have any ideas what's best to use?

cheers :)
We've just come back from Santa Ponsa and my husband & I got mozzie bites. We've never witnessed them before in SP but everyone was getting bitten.

We saw a guy one night and he had about 20 bites on his forehead - he was in a right mess.

Dont know why they have suddenly appeared in force - I have always boasted that I have never been bitten but I got about 5 lovely big bites this time.

Carmel
I have just ordered some Avon skin so soft shower gel dry oil body spray AND some other moisturiser in the soft & fresh scent as I have seen this recommended ...also have a stick repellant plug in for the room and am going to buy some wrist things from a certain acution site :wink:

my husband is prone to bites so I am going well prepared ...if they get through that lot they deserve a drop of his blood!
Hi

Alcudia is the worst place I've ever been for Mossie Bites. We spent 2 weeks in Jupiter/Saturno and I had to visit a doctor for 11 of those days due to mossie bites.

Hopefully I'm prepared this year I have bought everything under the sun to escape the little blighters, going as far as taking antihistimines now (a month till we go).

Never been bitten in Santa Ponsa though so hopefully this holiday will be better (touch wood).

p.s. I have bought a little mossie executor from the pound shop and left if switched on in my kitchen for the last month and it has kept flies out so here's hoping. The constant beeeeeeep is a little annoying at first but you do get used to it.
Do the Mossies effect Can Picafort or just Alcudia?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.