Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
Muasdale Holiday Park is a small site right on the edge of the sea. The proprietors are friendly and helpful and can provide much information on the surrounding area with regards to natural flora and fauna etc. The static caravans are very well equipped and clean, as is "Jura", the holiday flat which is self-contained and tastefully and sympathetically furnished to its period (Victorian). The residential site is set apart from the touring site and is separated by a road. The touring caravans sit as close to the sea as can be imagined! The views over to the tiny island of Gigha and further over to Islay and Jura are beautiful, with sunsets that have to be seen to be believed! We visit Muasdale as often as we can. We think it's one of the most beautiful parts of Argyll.
Thank you Mothersruin, I think that is where we will end up this next summer, it sounds lovely. We have the brochure, but it`s nice to hear from someone who knows the place.
We`ve now booked our pitch at Muasdale for 2 weeks in July, and I`m really looking forward to it, hubby`s not so sure, he thinks it might be a bit TOO remote, but I think it looks absolutely beautiful.
I hope that Mothersruin doesn`t think I`m being a pest, but would like a bit of advice on getting to Muasdale. We were planning on taking the same route as we took to Luss 18 months ago, then carrying on the A82 to Tarbet, then A83 the rest of the way, but a review site I looked at recommended staying on theA82 to Crianlarich then taking the A83. It has left me wondering if there is a problem towing a caravan over Rest and Be Thankful? A bit of advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hiya! It's Mothersruin here! Alison Clements from the Muasdale site emailed me to say that you were checking out the drive up through Rest and Be Thankful with your caravan. You really will be ok coming from the Glasgow road, coming into TARBET, then following the road down through Arrochar and then up the Rest and Be Thankful. It's really not at all bad. (don't head for Crianlarich!!) By the way,

*Edit to remove email as per the T&C you agreed to when joining HT please use PM Briar
Hiya Mothersruin (you must LOVE your gin). I don`t know where the lady at Muasdale got that idea from, the only time I checked the route out was with you back in January, and decided to take your word as gospel, seeing as you`ve been so often. My sister is going there in August, maybe they`ve been enquiring. Thanks for giving me your email address, I may make use of it before we go, which isn`t until July, really looking forward to it now. Cheers.
I`m wondering if Mothersruin is anywhere about? We`re almost at our holiday time now, and wondered if she could tell us if there are any places near to Muasdale caravan park to eat out or buy takeaway, for those evenings when I just can`t be bothered to cook! Sorry to be a nuisance! Really looking forward to getting there.
Nice to hear from you again! There is a nice little pub at Tayinloan, which you will pass as you come down into Muasdale - you will also notice that you get the ferry to Gigha from there. I know they do a lovely bar lunch, as we had one there when we were down in April. I'm not sure whether they do evening meals, though they may have started these now that summer is here. Also, there is a nice wee hotel called the Argyll at Bellochantuy (pronounced bellocantee), and another one further on called the Hunting Lodge. They do wonderful meals (though not TERRIBLY cheap). There is nowhere to get a takeaway from, unfortunately, unless you go down to Campbeltown, and bring it back up with you (well-wrapped up!), but there is a very good "chip van" there, which is positioned at the waterside, near to where they have built a new swimming pool. Apparently they do wonderful "fish suppers"! We are coming down to Gigha from the 25th July till 29th. We may meet up? Have a safe journey and a lovely holiday!
Mothersruin, thank you for replying so quickly. You haven`t posted for a while, so I wasn`t sure if you`d see my post. The main reason I wanted somewhere to eat is for the day we arrive. After travelling for nigh on 12 hours, then getting set up when we arrive, it woud be nice to just go and eat out rather than start cooking. I remember that you said you`d be at Gigha in July, I`ll pm you about a possible meeting. Did you enjoy yourselves in April at Muasdale?
We had a lovely holiday when we were in Muasdale in April, thanks! The weather was quite cool (what you'd expect, really!), but we stayed in the Jura flat and it was lovely and cosy! 2 friends came with us and another 2 took a residential caravan for a few days, and we had wonderful walks. I was just thinking, if you are wanting to stop at Tarbert (about 20 minutes or so away from Muasdale, you could perhaps get a meal there, as they have a couple of good hotels, or pick up a fish supper there, too? Depending on what time you get there, you should be able to get the car and caravan parked OK. There is also a bigger carpark in Tarbert if you follow the road round the bend, and away from the harbour, heading towards Muasdale - you should be able to park there and stretch your legs a bit! Where is it you are coming from? Try and lay your hands on some Avon Skin-so-Soft bath oil, by the way- the midges could be out in force!!
Hi Mothersruin, (is that name anything to do with gin by the way?), that`s a good idea about stopping off in Tarbert, if there really is room to park both car and caravan. I thought you`d know where we were coming from, then I realised that HT have removed our whereabouts from under our names now. We are in Boston in Lincolnshire. We reckon that with stops it will take us nigh on 12 hours to get there. It took us about 81/2-9 hours to Luss last time, and we reckon another 2-3 hours on top of that. We`re planning on setting off at about 3-15 to 3-30a.m. We usually stop about 8am for a bit of breakfast, then about 12 o`clock for lunch, and try to manage with just the 2 stops. Glad you enjoyed your April break, the Jura flat looks lovely, and brilliant weather would have been a bonus anyway at that time of year. I just hope all this gorgeous weather we`re having hasn`t come too soon for us, maybe it`s going to turn soon!
P.S. I`ve ordered my skin so soft from my Avon agent daughter.
She already knows how grateful I am for her help, but I would like to pub lically thank Mothersruin for being the one person who could really be of assistance to us regarding Muasdale. Thank you Anne :D :) 8)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.