America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
What would you get 10-15% off for? I don't understand...
Hi Stu

The discounts in USA compared with England are huge anyway so you will be getting real bargains.

You wont get discounts in stores unless there is a sale, just the same as if you went into your local designer store and bought lots of clothes you wouldn`t get a discount.

Macys does have a discount of 11% for overseas visitors. But I wouldn`t ask for discount in shops as It is so cheap that you would probably feel embarrassed asking.

Abercrombie & fitch are a lot cheaper than Uk. As is Hugo Boss, Armani etc. And remember with an exchange rate as good as now, don`t haggle!

Liz.
Ah I see, we're talking about haggling. That's not something you can do in most stores here, unless the seller/assistant is on commission and then it's open season. It would be like going into BHS or WHSmith in England and asking them for 10% off... you just wouldn't do it and, more importantly, neither would they. :)
Yeah haggling is what I'm talking about!

Personally depending on the amount I was planning on spending, I would ask for a discount in W.H.Smith or BHS. Just as you would when buying a car.

I appreciate that A&F et al will be significantly cheaper than the U.K already, but if it were cheaper still I could buy even more!

Do these store give student discount? They might be happy to give that to a non-student above a certain spend threshold.

Cheers, Stu.
Yeah but buying a car is different because the salesman is on commission and has some control over the pricing or added extras they can include. I've never heard of anyone being able to get a discount at somewhere like BHS just because they are spending a certain amount of money, but it's been a few years since I've been in the UK and perhaps things have changed (either that or I was never brave enough to ask for a discount when I was there!).

Now, if you have a student ID then yes, you might be able to get a discount at some places. You would just have to ask at the individual store to find out. My guess would be that, if a store did offer a student discount, it would be 5% or 10%.
No chance.

As stated Macys give 11% discount to overseas visitors with proof of id, you have to get a discount card from customer services valid for your entire stay, but otherwise no chance.

Most places have permanent sales, particularly at the outlet malls, so i'd say you would be wasting your time and would be made to look a little silly.

You're not at a market in marrakesh you know.
Personally depending on the amount I was planning on spending, I would ask for a discount in W.H.Smith or BHS.

I presume you are told where to go?

Works with independent stores [like clothing etc], but not in chain stores such as the above surely?
you would be wasting your time and would be made to look a little silly.
You're not at a market in marrakesh you know.

Makes us all look silly I think. Hardly any wonder that the service to Brits in Florida has gone down the pan over the years.
Stu007 are you a farmer by any chance ???

I had a (now ex) boyfriend like you once .... if he couldn't get a discount he wouldn't buy it basically !!

Takes me back to the time when he was haggling over clothes in Burton's :oops: ...but he did get a discount, even there.

His moto "if you don't ask - you don't get"

...it took a while, but I did get used to it in the end ...just used to pretend I wasn't with him really :oops:

Good luck to you I say :D
I have an Uncle who almost always asks for a discount, especially when he pays cash and it's suprising how many shops will give him one.
Hi jdybnsn.

No I'm not a farmer, though I am from the South West!

terrynewpackwrote
Makes us all look silly I think. Hardly any wonder that the service to Brits in Florida has gone down the pan over the years.

I've no intention of making myself look silly. I've every intention of filling my suitcase(s)!

Why should the service to Brits have declined, when you consider the amount of money we must spend over there? You'd think we'd be made very welcome.
The first time we were in florida we bought 3 watches from the watch station/sungless hut, my boyfriend asked jokingly that as we were buying 3 reasonably expensive watches would we get a discount, it was a complete joke but the assistant gave us some money off, dont remember how much though.
Never felt the need to ask for a discount. I went shopping in NY last year and the stuff was so cheap that I didn't feel the need to ask for discount but I did use coupons for money off things. My cousin lives there and every time I made a purchase she had her various coupon books out and was finding which one would give me the best discount. Maybe you should just take her with you.
stu007 saidWhy should the service to Brits have declined, when you consider the amount of money we must spend over there? You'd think we'd be made very welcome.

It has declined because of the attitude of the visiting Brits. Like others have said the prices are low enough without resorting to bargaining. If your not prepared to pay the asking price or can't afford it then perhaps you are going to the wrong place.
Don't forget you are also expected to tip when you receive a service and its the general Brits attitude to that as well that has resulted in service to us going down the pan. We have been going 3/4 times a year for over 20 years so we have seen the changes and talking to the locals there they make it clear why it has changed.
It seems a bit harsh blaming the Brits for the downturn in the quality of service in Florida over the last 20 years. I've also been visiting for the last 17 years.

I have stood in line many times behind Brits in shopping malls and at discount outlets when they have been paying for goods and services and haven't seen anything untoward. They just pay up like everyone else, although I've never seen anyone ask for a discount.

It's not like being in Turkey or Egypt where there is a bartering system and nothing is priced. Its not a market it's more like shopping in a department store in the UK. They might have promotions where if you buy two or three similar items you get an extra discount.

Also been in numerous restaurant surrounded by other UK visitors whose custom seems to be welcomed. Most seem to tip between 10% & 15% from what I read on here.

Doe :)
I also find it a bit harsh blaming brits for service going downhill. I live in Germany where tipping is not expected and Germans often just don't tip when they are abroad and lots of them go to Florida on holiday.
But I think the excuse that standards have gone down because of the behaviour of british holiday makers is just an excuse not a valid reason.
Good service shouldn't depend on whether you are going to get a good tip or not and because the odd british tourist asks for a discount in shops shouldn't be a reason or excuse for declining standards.
stuff is cheap enough out in florida, if you think something is over-priced then simply dont buy it but i can assure you nothing in the designer outlets is over-priced. if you filled a suitcase full of ralph lauren clothes (for example) you would probably save around £500-600 on what it would cost you here. if all the brits going florida started asking for discounts on already under-priced clothes it would surely change the way the store workers looked at us, they would think we were taking liberties. for some good deals go to premium outlets on i-drive just past seaworld or belz factory outlet which is at the totally opposite end of i-drive. im off to florida in october and will be taking an empty case and going straight to the outlets after checking in the motel.
I don't think negotating prices would upset your average American - no one likes to get a good deal better than them !

I had a PM the other day (another forum) from an American lady asking me if I thought the british owners of a villa would be offended if she tried to negotiate on the price. :lol:

Fortune favours the brave ..if you have the neck to do it good for you !

:D
It's true that Americans will negotiate when it comes to price but there is quite clearly a difference between trying to get a good deal to rent a privately owned villa and going to a national chain of stores to do it. Still, I suppose I can't argue that the worst that could happen is they say No. You never know until you try but most stores will not give you any kind of discount (just try it Wal-Mart... they'll think you're crazy!).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.