Other Destinations Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in other destinations. Inc Brazil, Australia, New Zealand.
Nepal
8 Posts
we are travelling from Goa to Nepal by train in April any tips?? thanks :) chilly
I was in Nepal in November 2004 on a trip that included a 4 day trek in Pokhara region.
We did have a little trouble one day - we were all forced off our bus at a road block by the Maoists. We then had a security check, then were allowed back on the bus - our guide paid the requisite bribe.

Since then a lot has happened, there have been telephone and internet black outs, street riots and more shootings. However, in January 2007 the Maoists were given some seats on the governing council, - the King has finally accepted that the people have some say.

They haven't gone as far as becoming a true democracy. They still haven't given a date for free elections.

I am reliably informed by a friend who lives and works in Nepal - that the situation for the near future looks calm and settled.

I can't say much about night-life; the Nepalis are very quiet and reserved people. We mostly went out for meals and drinks with other Europeans.
The Thamel district is very popular with foreigners.
Incidentally the local staple diet is Dal & Rice (dhal bhat).

One place you must visit, is the Shiva temple at Pashupatinath just outside Kathmandu. It's amazing to stand there and witness at close quarters, people burning their dead relatives. It's even more amazing to see sick elderly people lying on the steps waiting to die, then be placed almost immediately on the funeral pyres.

p.s. Chilly - have I seen your username on the Goa forum?

edit
sorry- the photos you added to your post have had to be removed as members may find them upsetting
Fiona ht mod
thanks a lot Max13biker, great info, yes!! you have seen me on the Goa forum!! I live there! well most of the time, my hubby was last in Nepal 30 yrs ago but he said the same as you about the temple, amazing, I am taking my gardener with me and he is from Nepal and fought in the army (scary pics!!), so should have its uses i hope, he says we have to get the bus from Delhi as train not safe :yikes to be honest dont fancy that, but he says bad men with knives on train :? :shock: bus though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not really what i had in mind!! last year i travelled to Kashmir 2nd class reserved by train was amazing but think this time i will go for some air con !!!! 8) where did you stay, what were prices like?
Chilly
  • Edited by chilly 2007-02-20 17:29:47
We were on an organised tour - so i had no say in where we stayed.

However, I would say that prices are similar to Goa.
hello. im going to nepal 16th july-13 aug 07 and planning on a few trekks sightseeing that sort o thing. its monsoon season so i wondered what i might be letting myself in for. i know that im limited to doing fewer trekks than normal just wonered if anyone had any suggestions. i was considering doing part of the jonsom trail etc.
also id be pleased to hear from anyone going at the same time.
cheers stephen
hi Stephen we are going in may so i will let you know how i get on but of course it wont quite be monsoon time
Chilly
i've decided to spend a week in kathmandu then go on to do the everest base camp/gokyo trek say 20thJuly-ish. very excitied about the whole thing. i will be trekking independently and looking for other trekkers to join up with if anyone wants a companion. get in touch.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.