Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Try looking at Agios Nikolaos.Its at the eastern end of the island and has lovely shops,beaches and stunning scenery.
If you liked Rhodes town then I would suggest you have a look at Chania or one of the nearby resorts in western Crete. Chania will have that same cosmopolitan 'city' feel to it. There is a good mix of shopping to be had including some excellent galleries selling really unusual one-off jewellery pieces, handblown glassware and ceramics as well as shops selling the usual tourist related stuff. Some nice clothes boutiques as well with good leather goods shops too. And the original produce market is wonderful.

The bars around the harbour aren't cheap but have a great atmosphere and are wonderful for watching the world go by at any time of day. I would think that you wouldn't have any problems finding lively evening entertainment but I find it hard to imagine that it would be like Falaraki whereas I think that Ag Nik probably is the Falaraki of Crete :-)

SM
Sorry,but have to disagree with "Agios Nikolaos probably is the Falaraki of Crete."
Malia and Hersonissos are much more geared up to the younger crowd IMO.
Have always found Agios Nikolaos to be a lovely cosmopolitan town..cozy,warm,traditional, wonderful for relaxing and watching the world go by and with some amazing scenery. Don't dispute there's also some livelier nightlife,but in comparison to Malia and Hersonissos,nothing near the same scale. There are, in fact, only one or two "full on" clubs in Agios Nikolaos.
That's why I choose Agios Nikolaos over Malia,Hersonissos etc...at my age,wouldn't want to be anywhere near somewhere that remotely resembled Falaraki. Although, I am still very young at heart and definitely enjoy somewhere with a little bit of lively nightlife too.
Falaraki must be even worse than it was if Ag Nik is now quieter! From my perspective, I hasten to add :-) Kalives and Almerida on Crete are much more my style!

SM
SM
:) I realise some people prefer a much quieter holiday.
Caza.
You may have read the resort reports before,but if not, these might give you a better idea of how Agios Nikolaos and Malia compare.
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/greece/crete/malia/
All the others are on there too.
Thanks for the info folks.....its all helpfull.........I suppose I am looking for somewhere livley..... but not full of 20 something clubbers....been there done that.......but also not wanting somewhere remote and slow paced. I like good quality shops.......and not places that sell cheap rubbish like......dare I say it....Gumbet in Turkey.....lol :lol:
Try Hersonissos or Stalis and you'll be a bus ride from Heraklion where you can shop till he drops. Plenty of excellent tavernas in the area, but it's too hot to walk far in the summer. Have a look at the thread about Koutoulafari for out of the way, but not remote. It's up the hillside, but near enough to the town - and no yobs / lager louts to speak of.
Try Hersonissos

agree but keep away from High Season July thru August. That is when the town is full of 20 somethings!!
Agree Parky that Stalis is a great place for a holiday been as I've visited it every year for the last 15 years but it's not got any sort of town feeling and think caza would maybe disappointed with it,have visited Rhodes town a few times and I couldn't stop there so that's why maybe Stalis wouldn't be to his taste.I thought maybe Rethymnon, has a town feel but still not over the top.Ag Nik has everything you could possibly want but crikey is it busy,last year had a visit there couldn't get across the roads in some streets the traffic was that busy no thankyou but to each his own.
Rick
Just like to put my vote in for Chania. I think it would suit as it is lively without being full of large groups of singles looking for a good time. A good compromise resort.
I agree with Chania as well. Beautiful town, plenty of places to eat and drink,
Amazing Venetian harbour, excellent bus service and the Agora in the centre of town as a permanent market.
Next?
Always go West if you want to avoid the Brit-yobs
Richard you can always find them in Crete in some places. it just happens that some areas are more ''in'' for them than for others.
Yes of course but the area west of Chania (which I think is the most appealing) is systematically being cleared of Brits in favour of Scandinavians who cause no trouble. The irony is that the bars are now complaining that takings are down! I've been visiting Crete since the mid 70's and have seen all corners. It remains a wonderful place and even now there is much to discover. I just prefer not to be faced by drunken Brits when on vacation. They sorted the problem on Corfu by creating Kavos at the extreme southern end of the island. If they could all be put onto Spinalonga that might sort it in Crete too!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.