Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hello Sagres, yes this is great news it will cut down transfer times as well, but and there is always a but. They started building a new airport for Lisbon and that has been going on for years, so it may be a long time before you will be going to the new western Algarve airport :cry:

Dave
I think that this project is essentially driven by the plans for the motor racing circuit near Mexhiloera Grande.This,apparently, has much support amongst the powers-that-be in Lisboa so,if they lend similar support to the airport project, it may well be fast-tracked.It remains to be seen,however, if it will be fast-tracked enough to come to fruition while any of us are still young enough to travel. :)
Any real benefit will,even then, only come if the low-cost airlines choose to use the new airport, or otherwise,any saving on transfers wll be lost on air fares.(...and that's my extra beer money gone ! :cry: )
I would have thought Lagos lovers would not have wanted an airport on the doorstep with all the associated aircraft noise disturbing the peace and adding to the gradual concreting over of the Algarve. Make somewhere easier to get too and it will only get overdeveloped.
Personally,I've never found holidaying near airports a problem - probably a combination of a long-term fascination with aviation and the fact that we live under the flightpath to an airport
Regardless of the possibility/probability of another airport,I'm afraid that the egg has preceeded the chicken in this instance and the over- development is already well underway. :cry:
Oh dear. I hope it doesn't attract TOO many new tourists. I'm rather set in my ways and like the current situation. :cry:
I'm rather set in my ways and like the current situation
......... know what you mean !! ( it's an 'age' thing,Dan ) :rofl
Mmmmm. Sounds like it could be a mixed blessing. Are the Portuguese quick at putting this kind of thing in to place? I would imagine Easyjet will carry on using Faro but ryanair might fancy operating from Lagos, not sure if that's good or bad. LOL. I suppose from a consumer point of view the competition could be good.
Question - it isn't clear to me whether the new airport would be on the site of the existing Portimao airfield (at Montes de Alvor) or the Lagos municipal airfield at Marateca.

Does anyone know?

Both sites are about the same distance from the racetrack but the location at Montes de Alvor might not have room for a 3km runway and would also have a flight path directly over various inhabited areas.

(The mere fact that all of this is will be on land that is at present open countryside and will be a massive visual and noise intrusion during and after construction cannot of course be allowed to stand in the way of progress.)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.