Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
New To Cruising
199 Posts
Hi,
We are booked to go on the Carousel Atlantic islands cruise in May for our first cruise. We stay a week in Tenerife and then the cruise which is the 17th May. It seems this is the last Carousel cruise before it is renamed and will be taken over fully by the Louis group who now manage it for Airtours. :roll:
We are concerned that as this is the last cruise, will it be OK? Has anyone else had this happen to them and how was it. I would be grateful for any opinions on this.
Thanks Margaret
Hi Margaret

Haven't experienced this personally, but the Sundream finished on 26 September so you may find something if you search the net.

IMO there are two ways it could go. If the staff don't have other jobs lined up they may be a bit down. On the other hand there could be bargains in the shop onboard and a party atmosphere. I really don't know, but I hope you have a great cruise. We've been on the Carousel twice and really liked it.

luci :wave
luci
we are booked to go on carousel in six weeks just read new report .They said food not great entertainment etc average, this has left us a bit worried, as all other reports looked good ,should we worry.
garry
Hi Garry

Personally I wouldn't worry. I was just saying to hubby yesterday that you can read 10 good reports, but when you read just one not so good one you get a bit concerned and tend to concentrate on that! Take the average opinion of all the reviews. If there's only one poor one please take it in context. We all have different expectations. Some people are easily pleased, some would find fault with the best. As I said, I wouldn't worry, just don't expect 5* facilities for a 3* price.

If you are expecting gourmet food such as quails eggs, caviar, etc and waiters than nod in deference, but not talk then you might be disappointed. We found the food very good and also the entertainment if you like to see shows. There is usually a song and dance show in one lounge and a game type show in the other. There is also a piano bar if you prefer a quiet drink.

I would be delighted if you could post a review when you get back as I'd love to know what you think of it.

I don't think so Garry.

We were on the Carousel in Sept (report by Keith & Wendy) and we had a brill time. Prior to this we had done an awful lot of research and read lots of reviews. Some of them not favourable. But the postitive reviews by far outweighed the negative. Yes the cabin was not the height of luxury but was spotlessly clean. The food in the lido bar could be at times warm rather than hot. But hey, we still had a superb time.

It was our first cruise so we had nothing to compare it to. However I would go again tomorrow without any hesitation. We met some wonderful people, the entertainment was fantastic and the crew were excellent. Also the chance to visit all the countries was fantastic too.

As long as you dont go expecting luxurious surroundings eg 5 star hotel equivalent you will NOT be disappointed.

Remember in this day and age people will always find something to complain or moan about but don't let that put you off. Also remember a holiday is what you make it. We found it was the best holiday ever and now we cannot wait for our next cruise.

I for one am very sorry that Suncruises will be no more :(

Margaret, sorry for not being able to answer your specific point but think what Luci says is so true. I am sure it will be very enjoyable.
well any holiday we have went we have always enjoyed regardless of what other people have thought ,you look forward to it too much not to enjoy it,but as this is our first cruise we are a bit more excited about it also it's my big 40 that week so lot's to look forward to.
garry
Hold that thought Garry and you won't go far wrong. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

be warned they become addictive...some of the best holidays we ever had
Even though the cruise company is changing, many of the staff are positioned by a agency.

This is the same for Luis cruises, who supply Thomson with their 4 ships.

Staff are aware that should they receive compaints or not do their work properly then they will not work on the other ships either.

As for the cruise being the last one, the only disadvantage this sometimes has, is that the onboard shops may start running low on certain things and the bars may run out of some of the popular items near the end.

Still, you should still enjoy the cruise, and if Luis have bought the ship, they may already have staff on to ensure smooth takeover.

Andy
Oh my God!!!!! :(
You don't think they will run out of gin and tonic.
Seriously thanks for all the comments. As it is our first cruise we are really looking forward to it and I will look forward to reading the reports of those who go on it between now and May.
Thanks Margaret
Hi Luci
we are not going to bother with A/L this time
how does the credit system work then will the boys be able to go to the shops or buy soft drinks on their own then and just charge the cabin, I can trust them but are their any controls on how much they spend or do they have to be accompanied :?:
thanks
She86
Hi She86

Children's AI on the Thomson Spirit is £65. A can of Coke, etc is 95p.

I would imagine if they have their own card authorised to charge to your account they could use it in the shops and at the bar for soft drinks.

Perhaps you could open a separate account for the children's card and put a cash deposit against it, but they may ask for a minimum amount.

have booked a cruise in the summer . does anyone have any tips and/or suggestions about cruising
Hi Maureen - which cruise are you going on? I went on my first cruise in July on the Thompson Spirit and loved every min of it :D

What things would you like to know about? I am happy to answer any questions you have and so will many others on here. There is a lot of useful information in the cruise reviews section too....

You will prob keep thinking of lots of questions - I kept asking on here and always got them answered so ask away!

Alison :D
Hi Alison.
We are going on the thomson destiny in August. the cruise is romance,romans and the riviera. What sort of dress code do these ships have, also we have wnet all inclusive is it really worth it. I will be in touch when i think up some more

Many thanks

Maureen x
Hi Maureen

You will love a Thompsons cruise - you wont want to leave! Which ports of call do you go to? I went to Naples,Sicily,Corsica,Marseille, Barcalona.

Dress code wise most eves i wore smart trousers/skirt and top I took a black dress for the captains dinner where people dress up more - but its up to you what you wear - i enjoyed getting dressed up but only what id wear for a smart meal/night out here. I went on my own but the men tended to go for trousers/smart casual shirt most eves and some wore suit/dinner jacket or kilts for captains dinner.

I didnt go all inclusive - you need to drink about £20 a day of drinks and i only drink in the eves when its hot in the day! however if you like a few drinks and also soft drinks its worth it - nice not to have a bar tab to worry about! I made friends with other singles who were all inclusive so they 'brought' a lot of my drinks!

Any other questions ask away on here or send me a personal mail message.

Alison :D
Hi Maureen. :wave
Of the dress code mentioned by Alit it is correct. But it is your personal choice really, with the exception of jeans and casual dress.

As far as All-Inclusive is concerned, if you are teetotal then it may not be worth it. But if you are not then it can be quite expensive if you consider that you pay for drinks and speciality coffees etc.

It is quite easy to go past the £20 mark when you consider a decent coffee can cost nearly one pound 50 and average drinks are about two pounds.

We are now getting towards our eighth cruise with Thomson's and we have never been disappointed so far. The entertainment is excellent, even if it is a bit like posh Butlins.

The quizzes and games can be very entertaining, but you can't take them seriously, you do get small prizes, but the " pleasure or one upmanship " is in winning.

At the end of the day, I can recommend Thompsons cruises. They are very good value for money.

In fact we have now booked for February, July on the Spirit, and the Destiny in September. The Destiny is a new ship and is the ex Airtours Sunbird. It should be interesting.

If you have any more specific questions regarding the hairdryers and other electrical stuff, which you may want to use in your cabin, and the voltage etc available, then just ask and I will tell you all.

Cheers :wave
Dave
Me and my family are also booked on the Destiny in August for the Romance cruise and it is our first cruise too, so any advice for us first timers would be appreciated, my kids will be 13 and 10 so hopefully there will be things for them to do.

Any advice on visits ashore would be good.

The Sunbird (ex Airtours) is having a refit so it should be in good shape and also tried and tested by the time we join it as its new name the Destiny.
Hi Alison
Our ports of call will be Rome, La Spezia, Marseille, Sete and Tarragona before the return to Palma. Is there lots to do on a cruise for a 14 year old, How did you find the food is it suitable for children who are fussy eaters. Could you let me know re shaver plugs needed. This may sound daft but do they use euros or sterling on board.

Many thanks

Maureenx :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.