Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
New to Cyprus
20 Posts
I prefer Paphos to Protaras as it seems to have more atmosphere. I would recommend hiring a car and going to see Curium, the Tomb of the Kings, Kyko Monastery up Mount Olympus, etc.

luci :wave
Thanks, Luci

I have looked at some of the resort reports and Paphos was coming out on top of the list but it is always good to hear a recommendation.
Have to say, though, that Cyprus is coming out more expensive to get to than Turkey so will have to come up with a good deal for 'Sir'
Def recommend Paphos. You can also visit Tomb of the Kings in Paphos and also Paphos heritage site in the harbour.

Enjoy!

Kath x
Pissouri is somewhere I can highly recommend!
Larnaca too, if you want a cosmopolitan town, not a tourist resort. It has history coming out of its ears: Lazarus Church, Ancient Kiteon, Hala Tekke Sultan Mosque.

Get a car, definitely!!

Mark
I would recommend Pissouri to, nice beaches nearby, nice tavernas in the village and jetty. Nice and quiet but still lively enought not to be boring (no nightclubs)
i have a web addresses if you want a nice villa! just pm me
briggsy2007 wrote:
i have a web addresses if you want a nice villa! just pm me
So do I. Five 2 bedroom villas, sleep 6, all with pool in a very quiet area of the village. PM me too, if you like.

Mark
Hi, all - Have settled on Paphos now so would like some info.

How easy is it to change Sterling into Euros, or should we take the bulk in Euros?

Has anyone used the shuttle transfers from the airport? How do you know where to find them?

Do I need to learn a little Greek before I go? I speak a little Turkish but think that may not be of much help!!!!

What kind of weather can we expect at the beginning of May? Will I need a wrap for the evening?

Thanks in advance. :cheers

Prawn (and 'Sir')
If you learn a little Greek before you go it will be well thought of by the local Cypriots but most of the populations speak much better English than you will learn Greek !

Please and thankyou never go amiss !

(spelt phonically)
Pa rak alo - Please
Hef ka ristow - Thankyou
Kal e mare a - Good morning (sort of bleeds into early afternoon)
Kal e spare a - Good afternoon (again picks up where the morning left off and makes it into the night)
Kal e nickta - Good night (seems to be used more of a good night I'm off rather than as a greeting at night)

Steve
  • Edited by AskCy 2009-01-29 10:56:15
Hi

Re transport from the airport - we have always booked a taxi direct with the hotel and it has cost about 12 C£s on a good day! (20 euros so says hubby)

Very easy - about 10 - 15 mins transfer

If you want any tips re where to stay please ask

Paphos is a perfect choice -- you'll have a fab time !

:sun2
Thanks for the replies, guys. Can't wait to go. I am trying to learn the basics of Greek but don't hold your breath - it has taken me 12 years to learn the little bit of Turkish that I know.
Don't worry too much about learning Greek. I can do all the pleasantries, order a beer, that kind of stuff. But...after going through said pleasantries, the locals always, but always switch the conversation to English ;)
eg
Me : Meera beera parakalo
Barman: Two Euro fifty please

As AskCy says, a little Greek does tend to go a long way...a bit further than my Greek conversation lol ;)
I have a tendancy to say things in both languages: "Yassou, hello"; and sometimes mixed up thus ""Poli kala, very well, faristo"

You'll hear "faristo" more than "efcharisto". I think it's the Cypriot version of 'thanks', used as an abreviation of thank you.

Parakalo is also "you're welcome".

Yassou = hello to someone on their own
Yassus/yassas = hello to multiple people

http://www.fiscardo.com/learn%20greek.htm
Thanks to you all - am really looking forward to trying somewhere new. Another silly question - are the signs (for the loos etc.) in aramaic as well as Greek characters or do I have to look for the pictures??
Del, if you are reading this - stop laughing!! :rofl
99% of everything signage wise in Cyprus is in dual English & Cypriot :tup
Thanks, Miss - always said that my big problem with Greece (or Cyprus) was that the signs meant nothing to me! Went on a trip to Rhodes from Turkey and was totally confused! 'Sir' says that is my normal state of mind. :D
**poo ine i tooaletes** prounounce as * poo in-e e toolletis* {[where have the toilets] where are the toilets}
:tup Nice one, Wizard! You obviously know me well!! That is one important phrase for me.
pooh in the toilets is greek for where are the toilets ?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.