Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
its great to have a Japan expert on board. :D
Have to say I would love to try Japan some time but the perception is that it is very expensive once there.
Hi, Fiona - Thanks for the compliment - Expert not, but Japan is becoming more accessable and although it is expensive, with a little homework we can enjoy this beautiful contry and it`s people reasonable cheaply. Currently we also get more yen for our pound and as prices in japan have not increased much over the last years - perhaps now is the best time to visit - Brian.
Have you been to Hong Kong Brian? I just wonder how prices compare to it? HK is expensive for some things but we found we spent a lot less overall than we thought we would. Sounds like Japan may be the same.
Fiona, yes! have been to hongkong a number of times (but a lot of years ago) Asia prices seem always to be about the same wherever you are "taking the exchange rate into consideration!) - We Brits are the lucky ones at the moment as our uk pound goes a lot further than it used to and prices due to slow downs in asia over the last 20 years have not risen much as compared to europe. In answer to your question Fiona - japan is perhaps still more expensive than hongkong "but" since HK was handed back to the Chinese it is getting much more expensive and is aiming to attract the richer tourist to its shores!! So its getting more expensive by the day. The golden rule re Japan (and elsewhere) is that discount prices are "always available" everywhere so - don`t be put off just go for it and apart from a good travel guide and basic translation you should`nt go far wrong!! At least Japan is very safe to travel around (apart from the "Kuma" bears and the "Inoshishi" wild pigs that frequent most of japan mountain areas, but crime is still very rare despite the few well known of late and as long you are sensible there should not be a problem and you should always be able to find "someone very willing" to speak some english and help you find your way! Brian.
Hi Brian,
We did a 3 week trip to China last year and plan to do the same with Japan at some point. I just find the whole culture fascinating. Good to have an 'expert' on board. I'm sure when the time comes I'll have loads of questions!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.