Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
malchancock wrote:
What are the BAA owned Airports?

Heathrow (LHR)
Stansted (STN)
Glasgow (GLA)
Edinburgh (EDI)
Aberdeen (ABZ)
Southampton (SOU)

Darren
Peak holiday season; no change to the usual way of working (or not working) then.
does anyone know when this will happen

kazza ... the ballot process is taking place now and the result will be known on 12 August. If the vote is in favour of industrial action, then the earliest possible date would be 19 August. However, we perhaps need to bear in mind that every year at around this time, strike action in the UK aviation industry is threatened for the August Bank Holiday, but thankfully rarely happens. As you will see in the news today, the media obviously needs to get in now with the dramatic headlines and predictions of chaos and ruined holidays, in case the ballot votes against industrial action, which would mean the story becomes non newsworthy in August.

David :wave
we went through a panic like this last year when August BH chaos was predicted (fuelling company if I recall). Same scenario, newpapers hacked together a sensational story without seeming to understand industrial relation law or human nature. All quiet in the end, no-one got refunds for buying inaccurate newpaper!
Hi
I guess it's too early to start worrying but is it likely Thomson will make contingency plans in case the strike goes ahead? Or will it be just bad luck and the holiday will be canceled if you are flying from one of the BAA airports? We're due to fly from Glasgow to Cancun on the 20th Aug - I'll be on tenterhooks between now and then to know whether we'll be going or not! :(

Beth
I have been following this story with bated breath since the ballot was announced - we are due to fly next weekend from Stansted.....have just had all the worry about the Spanish controllers too!!
Hello - i am a producer at Sky News and we are really keen to speak to people who are worried about their holidays as a result of today's BAA strike announcements. Please can you contact me as soon as possible. We'd love to hear from you. BethR, are you around? We'd love to get you all involved. Kindest regards, Kirsty - 07834 692 742.
i am a producer at Sky News and we are really keen to speak to people who are worried about their holidays as a result of today's BAA strike announcements.

Just in case of any confusion or premature panic for holidaymakers, no BAA strikes have actually been announced. The ballot process doesn't end until around 12 noon, and the result may not be announced until later in the day. Even if the ballot votes in favour of industrial action as predicted, the result may initially be used as a negotiating tool. Strike dates may perhaps not be announced immediately, whilst further discussions take place. Let's wait for the announcement and hope for the best outcome for travellers.

Unite ballot of BAA workers votes in favour of strike action

As expected, BAA workers have voted by a majority of 3 to 1 in favour of industrial action in a ballot conducted by the Unite union. It is believed that just under 50% of eligible members voted.

7 days notice would require to be given of any strike dates, but at this stage no dates have been set and are unlikely to be until Monday 16 August, leaving 23 August as the earliest possible date for any strike. That still leaves the potential for strike action over August Bank Holiday, a usual target and negotiating tool, unless a settlement can be found in the coming days.

Strikes, if they go ahead, would affect Heathrow, Stansted, Southampton, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen airports.

BAA has confirmed that airports would need to close on any strike days if there was inadequate security and fire service cover.

As we are due to fly out on 23rd August from Stansted and return on 30th, I am really concerned about this. Does anyone know if Thomson have any contingency plans or what happens next....
Sue ... until such time as any strike dates are formally set, I think it would be difficult or perhaps even impossible for any effective contingency plans to be put in place. The current uncertainty looks likely to continue until Monday.

Yes I understand that- I guess we just have to wait until Monday to see whats announced - more worry just after the Spanish issue! As we booked a package with Thomson is it true that we are covered under abta rules that they have to offer us alternative flights etc?
If you have booked a package holiday, there is an obligation on the tour operator to arrange alternative flights or airport if possible, or a refund of the cost of the holiday if not possible.

I would imagine that subject to available slots, some airlines may plan to operate from non BAA airports, if or when any strike dates are formally set.

Acas attempts to avert strike

Acas is attempting to avert a strike at UK airports by acting as a mediator between airports operator BAA and the union representing disgruntled workers, Unite.

The conciliation service confirmed today that it will be facilitating a meeting between the two sides after Unite members yesterday voted three-to-one in favour of industrial action at BAA's six UK airports.

Strikes by firefighters, security guards, engineers and ground staff, who have rejected a 1 per cent pay offer, will force BAA to shut down airports, hitting up to 350,000 passengers a day.

Unite is expected to announce strike dates on Monday unless Acas can negotiate an agreement between the union and BAA over the weekend.

Acas chief conciliator Peter Harwood said: "We can confirm that Acas will be facilitating an early meeting of the parties once diaries can be cleared."

BAA said it could not confirm that it would be attending talks hosted by Acas, but a spokesman said: "We are available for talks and we've told Unite that."

Unite said in a statement: "Unite is available to meet with BAA to reach a negotiated solution to this dispute and hopes BAA takes up this offer."

Ryanair claims it will have to cancel up to 300 flights a day at Stansted, Edinburgh and Aberdeen airports if strikes by what it described as 'selfish and underworked Unite members' go ahead.

The airline said industrial action would hit 50,000 of its passengers. Other airports affected are Heathrow, Glasgow and Southampton.

With permission from Travelmole
who have rejected a 1 per cent pay offer

That's 1% more than I'll be offered for at least 2 years since we're on a pay freeze. They should think themselves lucky!

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.