America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
New York
4 Posts
Hi Kaz

You could also post this in our CITY BREAKS FORUM.

Don't forget to check REVIEWS as people post their recommendations and let me know if you'd like any hotels added to the section.

For flight info please post HERE.
I visited New York last spring and stayed in the Radio City Apartments just a few minutes walk from Times Square. http://www.RadioCityapartments.com I stayed in a studio that had a small well equiped kitchenette which was handy for making drinks and snacks when my body clock told me it was breakfast time even though it was still the middle of the night in NYC. I found it very easy to get around from this area it was just a short walk from the Rockefeller Center where I took the lift up to the top for the fabulous views. There were lots of cafes and restaurants in the area and of course if you want to see a show the Theaters are right on your doorstep.There's lots of information on the City Breaks and America forums on HT. I can't help you with airlines as I flew from Germany but as soon as you make your flight booking reserve a hotel room. You don't have to pay until you arrive and can cancel usually up until the day before travel if you find something at a better price.
New York is a fascinating city with lots to do and see. I bought the AA Essential Guide to New York which gave me lots of info. and I researched for months on the Internet. A good site for finding out info is http://www.Tripadvisor.com I booked a city tour with New York Party Shuttle for my first full day there which was excellent and the tour gave me a good idea of where most things were in the city. The tour included a ride on the Staten Island Ferry which gave us a view of the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline. Another day I did a Foods of New York walking tour. I found the subway easy to use and never felt unsafe. (I travelled on my own). You should take a walk in Central Park I would imagine it will be lovely in April (I was there late March and it was still a bit wintry). If you like museums you will be really spoiled and you must visit Macy's departmental store.
There is a Hopon-Hopoff bus that a lot of people use and I believe you can buy a two day ticket that includes an night time ride.
Last year i got a fab deal with virgin............£1000 for a week over valentines day which was my anniversary. We stayed at the 30/30 hotel, basic but clean and lovely and warm. Right next door to the Empire state building, and Macy's. Only a 15 mins walk to times square, and 30 mins walk to central park. We went on the helicopter trip over the statue of liberty which was great. I found times square had the same souvenirs as we did on 30 East,( but 3 times cheaper near 30 east). We went to see mamia Mia the show which we bought our tickets and was at the front from the tourist information near planet hollywood. We had our anniversary at PH and it was the best meal ever. We loved the delis, scrummy yogurts :) I hope you will put the Rockerfella centre on your list, it has a better view than the empire state, no queues and no perspecs around you, its completely open and has lovely views. Also in the actual centre has some lovely shops and a nice ice skating rink in the open air.

I also liked the Applemac store, their store is massive and so more better than the UK, this is up near centre park. we also bought sale stuff :rofl from Bloomingdales. If you have time take a trip on a horse and cart around central park, it is beautiful, you can have rugs for your knees. Check each horse and owner, some prices are more. Also when you go shopping get the coupons from Macys and bloomingdales from customer service, gives you 11 % off. Gap up near central park was really nice and massive.

We came back with 2 suitcases each :tup

Food is reasonable and NYC is a fab place to stay, and Virgin were brilliant, even got upgrade to premium econmony :tup

Michelle x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.