Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Thank you for that. What is the food like? We have booked fully inclusive so hopefully everything should be covered. Were the rooms okay? I have only seen pictures of these, they look nice. We are also booked with The Co-Operative Travel. The trip to Abu-Simbel - that is an optional one I think, am I right? The other trips i understand are first thing in the morning, what time do you have to get up for them, and I take it you have breakfast before you go - just curious. Tipping - how much do you have to have available for everyone? Sorry, questions, questions, questions, but I have never done anything like this before, usually spend a couple of weeks in a hot place, hotel and pool! Thanks for your help. If you have any videos/pics of the boat (other than the usualy ones you see on the brochures), I would be very grateful.

:wave:
Lainey
  • Edited by Kiltman HT Mod 2010-04-13 23:31:01
    Moved in to Nile Cruises Q&A
Lainey,
As regards the excursions, the Abu Simbel one will leave the boat at about 03:00 if going by coach or 04:30-05:00 if going by air (assuming you are taking this excursion whilst in Aswan) - you will be back on the boat in time for lunch. Other excursions vary in start time, but some can be as early as 06:00 (to avoid the mid-day heat and for scheduling to avoid congestion at some of the sites). Breakfast will be provided before you leave and, if it is the same as the boat I went on, a refreshing flannel and drink will greet you on your return.

Tipping varies from boat to boat - the most common being an envelope provided at the end of the cruise for the boat crew and an envelope for your guide. The amount you give is entirely up to you, although there will be a suggested amount recommended by your tour operator. You could also consider giving small tips to staff who, in your eyes, are especially deserving of such as you go along (one or two LE is fine) - I did this with waiting staff, bar staff and the pool attendants on my boat plus a 20LE tip after the first two days to the cabin steward.

Any left over toiletries etc can also be left behind for the cabin staff to save weight in the suitcase and make room for the King Tut paperweight you will have purchased!

Cheers,
Jet
Thank you Jet for your advice on tipping and trips.I am really looking forward to going on this trip. Can't wait.
well after totting up our Tesco clubcard pionts which added up to nearly £700 :really we have now booked to go on the MS lady Mary for christmas then on to cairo for new year :D
anyone one been on any of the MS boats?
also i read that we should protect against Miliaria do i have to get tablets via Gp?
thanks
Edd
I came back on the 1st May from Cairo we went 7 night Nile on the Stephanie which have a good crew, the food was good you were always given 2 big bottles of water every day in your cabin but they are to big for trips, when in the dining ask for water at dinner time and take the bottle to your cabin then you can fill it up and put it in the fridge in your cabin for the next day, tip leave the wooden door cover of the fridge open if closed the air will not circulate and keep the fridge cool.

For bugs which are many go to the chemist and ask for any spray with 50% Deet.

Trips are normally set for a 6am call unless going to Abu Simbeal which is a 03.15, lounge for tea or coffee then pick up your breakfast back as the road trip goes across the Sahara it is a long trip and a long morning, there is no photographing allowed inside the the Temple of Ra or the Temple of Nefratarry but you can get pics from your guide. it is a long walk in hot weather. but well worth it.
My cabin was 304 on the Port side of the boat
Good holiday but you need to be able to walk and learn to avoid the street traders that have stalls set up at all the places you go.
ll the Best with you holiday. :cheers
Hi Edd

You don't need Malaria tablets for the main resorts of Egypt and this includes the Nile Cruises, Malaria protection is only required if travelling in to the remote parts of the country.
You will still need to take mossie protection as the little blighters will bite you.

Bobbydog323 has also post some additional info :tup
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=47977&p=1448532#p1448532

I am sure you will love it.
Graham
I am going on the RAII in November for a 7 day cruise. Has anybody been on this boat? I would like to know what it's like and how you got on with the food. Does everyone really get an upset stomach? What time do you start the morning excursions and do you have extremely early breakfasts? Is there a chance to buy bottles of water off the boat? Do you have "free" time to do this?
hi all....we have just booked a nile cruise for our 10th anniversary in november....we are going all inclusive on the nile angel but i cant seem to find any infomation about this one...can anybody help and also any tips would be welcome for when we get there
thanks all

angie xxxx
Mmmmm not much out there on the Nile Angel :que

It looks as though the Nile Angel is now called the M/S Pyramisa IV 'Nile Angel', a quick Google / Bing search reveals several pictures of the boat and some general info but not much else.

THIS is typical of the information that seems to be available.

Which company did you book it through?
Go to Youtravel.com you will find the info you want for Nile Angel.
Ron
thanks for the replies, i booked with a company called preferred egypt and they said it was a brand new boat x
Can anybody confirm what money changing facilities there are on board the MS Stephanie? does the reception change money and/or your rep?

:tup
On the M.S. Stephanie. there is not a machine to change cash or to draw cash it said that credit cards are not accepted on the Stephanie, i never changed cash i went to an ATM, when you are out on the excursions, ask George or H, who are two of the guides they will take you to a bank to get money, H runs the group called the Crocodiles they will help you with whatever you need.
:tup
Hi peeps, hubby and I are going on a Nile Cruise on 13/9/10 on the Grand Rose, this is our first time, although not at Egypt. Do we need to take malaria tablets with being on the Nile? Any feedback about the boat or any information we need to know prior to our cruise would be most useful and much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kazee ;)
Do we need to take malaria tablets with being on the Nile?

No you don't need to take any anti malaria tablets, take repellant spray as you may still get bitten though :tup
I was told by my Doctor after i received my Injections to go to my Chemist to get a spray with 50% DEET, this will help with any other bug problems as the Nile is only approx 2 to 3 metres deep, Nile Cruisers are skimmers they seem to catch all the bugs just above the water surface, so at night keep your Cabin Door or Window closed and use your A/C.
I dont know anything about your Boat as i was on the MS Stephanie, i take it they are a bit similar.
ave a good holiday. :tup
Thank you Bobby Dog and Kitman for your comments.

Karen :)
Hi, just asking about tipping on the boat and when out on excursions is it best to take sterling pound coins or dollars or egyptian.

Thanks in advance

Kazee x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.