UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Norfolk broads
11 Posts
Depends on your routing - and your party.

Norwich Castle is great, and there are some great "ghost walks" around the city in the evenings too. There is also a hands-on Science museum very close to the city centre called inspire that has proved entertaining for my kids in the past on a wet weekend !
http://science-project.org/inspire/default.htm

Opposite the Lord Nelson (?) Hotel in Norwich there is a buffet Chinese restaurant on the river which is excellent - have also had a good meal at the Bell Inn by Haddiscoe Bridge which has moorings
Cheers for your reply. Will take these into consideration. Have not done a route as such. The only restriction we have is that the boat will not go under the Potter Heigham's bridge.

Keep them suggestions coming please.

Mark :D
We stayed in Horning, near Wroxham for a weekend and thought the Ferry Inn was a nice pub, with moorings right outside. There was also a decent Chinese takeaway in the village at that time, but it was a while ago, so it may have changed hands now.
What sort of things are you planning do you intend to leave boat for a whole day etc or just prefer to be pretty laid back Great Yarmouth Market Day is Weds if you fancy some retail therapy

My thought was to get away from being dragged to shops by the other half, so please please please donot suggest any shopping malls :rofl
We think we have plenty of time to explore the broads over the week so can afford to be moored up for the day at an appropriate spot where we can possibly explore the countryside.

Looking forward to your old review though :wink:

Sorry to hijack your post Mark :D But we are going on a day trip in August down the broads. Do they have tourist trips, or do you steer the boats yourself? Also what would we expect to pay for a party of 6, thanks

Michelle x

Ps...Any good country pubs on route :D
We did a 4 hour trip from Wroxham in 2004 - boat took 6 easily and as far as I recall was about £30 "self-drive". We booked by phone the day before and I can't remember the company but it was right next to the road bridge. Pottered down to Horning and back easily - highlight was flagging down the "ice-cream boat" & purchasing some very well priced cornets given the circumstances - kids thought it was great and I even managed not to crash the boat when he pulled up alongside in mid-river!! :?

BTW if you're in Wroxham you can't beat a rummage in Roys - but ignore that if you are adverse to retail therapy!!
Thanks for that information Briar.

Will have a nose through it tomorrow.

Mark

I have had lots of holidays on the broads in both rain and shine at least if its raining it doesn't stop you boating from A to B :)
If you are confident in handling the boat and not going at a peak time I would recommend you also hire a sailing dingy-to tow behind its great fun to do a bit of sailing if you are moored in a large broad.
If you are wanting the complete low down on everything to do with boating and the broads try this link:

http://www.the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/index.cfm

nick :smokin:
Aplogies for the rather late reply - I wasn't ignoring you - honestly.

We have booked direct with the boat company and have choosen the following boat:

http://www.barnesbrinkcraft.co.uk/symphony.htm

Thanks for the link Nick - useful information on it.

Hi, i'm going to Norfolk in June for a long weekend. I noticed someone has asked about boat trips down the broads. I've found a website http://www.broadtours.co.uk that do self drive hire boats in both Wroxham and Potter Heighams, charged by the hour! Hope this is of some use.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.