Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Sounds like a mad, scary but enjoyable time was Had Val. Was this the first livaboard you've done .

Dave and the boys have done the Dunraven and every year he says "we are definately doing the Thistlegorm this year" only for something to put him off . Either the money or his niggling feeling that it's a tough but enjoyable dive and when he has to take the responsibility of the boys too he weighs it up and decides No the times not right . He's always said if he's doing it it's being done properly or not at all .
The Thistlegorm is an excellent dive to do...but better to do it off a liveaboard..coz everything is in witht he price you pay. If you go on a day boat, they always want you to pay an extra however much to do the Thistlegorm. It can be a challenging dive...there can sometimes be strong currents..and you always need more than one dive on it as there is so much to see. It is always busy as well with divers...so it can be abit like wacky races sometimes..and it would be easy to lose sight of who exactly is your buddy with that many other people around.
descent is always done off a shot line...and you can take shelter from the currents once you are actually on the wreck. I loved it in the hold, looking at all the moterbikes, the lorries..rifles..even boots. It is actually a war grave and has claimed other lives since from Divers who penetrate into the wreck where they shouldn 't and become trapped and disorientated.

If the conditions are good, Dave and all 3 of your lads would be able to do it..if he buddied up with youngest and left your older 2 lads to buddy up..but if it is abit rough, then your youngest might struggle abit, purely because of the currents. I fully intend to do the dive again..Rob did 3 on it. Best to be on a liveaboard as they park up there the night before and have done the first 2 dives before the day boats even arrive!! Much better like that.

We had a mixture of people there on board, me and Rob were the only Northerners...there were Bjarn, Soren, Soren and Anders from Denmark, Marko (very camp but a great character) from Finland, Gergo, the Hungarian hotel manager who lives in Luton, Dave the hotel chef from Luton,
Ollie and Kirsty (very quiet, not sure where they were from but Ollie is a dive giude in Cyprus), Tim and Georgia are English but live in Portugal, they have just opened thier 2nd dive school. They also have one in Gibralter, which Richard runs for them. Also from Gibralter were thier friends Sean and Harriet. All English. Gordon was from Bristol, Adrian and Simon were from London (I think they were a couple), Alan was also from London and we had the Birmingham crew, Phil, his son Steven and his grandson Simon (aged 17), Chris, a friend from the same club and Mayar-the Persian guy also from the same club...

there was little to do at night after diving was over.. but most people were so knackered they just went straight to bed.but I did learn to juggle!!! Gergo used to teach circus skills to kids when he was in Hungary and brought 4 juggling balls with him. He is amazing..but after 2 days I managed to juggle 3 quite well!

Oh..and we also missed the fire in the harbour at Hurghada..Tony Backhurst lost one of his boats, a german boat was also lost and another boat was badly damaged..
My first liveaboard..but definitely not my last. We paid £800 each..full board, as many dives out of the offered itinery as we wanted to do, all transfers etc....and since there were 21 dives available..we thought good value. No extra for doing Thistlegorm etc...it was all in. you would pay a fortune for 21 dives on a day boat....then add your hotel bill on, food etc...

There was booze available at night once diving was done for the day..it was done on an honesty basis where you marked it off if you had a beer or a bottle of wine and then settled up at the end of the week. I did not touch a drop all week....I was not bothered at all..and they wont let you dive if you have had a drink...the main thing you need to do is get as much water down you as possible..I was trying to get at least 3litres a day down me...
really great information ... made exciting reading ..and hairy at times!! :yikes thanks :tup
chilly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.