Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Old Town....
10 Posts
Far too much to mention Claire, everything will be open, except maybe one or two places on Fishermans beach.
You're staying very close to the Old Town and there will be lots of bars and restaurants open there. The little streets and alleyways and the main square are lovely to walk around, and the beaches are excellent. Don't worry too much about the building work as this only affects the area near Fishermen's Beach and most of the Old Town is unaffected. Some restaurants we like are Casa da Fonte (on the steps above the tunnel down to the beach), Atrium and Bailote in the same street, O Penedo (up high on the western headland, with fabulous views), and Anna's (behind Fishermen's Beach). But there are dozens of places to eat and most people, including me, say they've never had a bad meal in the Old Town.

You can walk along the coast to the east, along the beach as far as you can depending on the tide. Or westwards to the Marina (a few more eating opportunities here!) and beyond over the cliffs to the lovely coves along this part of the coast - Arrifes, Sao Rafael, Coelha, Castelo etc. All these coves have excellent beach restaurants.

Hope you have a great time! :wave
Oh yes, and I forgot to mention :wink: the excellent and very friendly bar run by Algarveaddick (Perry)! It's called Floyds Bar and it's up above the Old Town just below the Camara (Town Hall). Well worth a visit or two!! :glynis
Thanks for putting my mind at rest. I am so looking forward to visiting, It is quite a few years since I last went but have memories of fantastic beaches, great food (sardines - yum) and Snoopy's bar.

Which restaurants are the best for different breads, olives etc at the start of a meal? I loved these, and used to have them instead of a starter. Also any recommendations of good local wines? Red or white, always willing to sample a bottle of each!

Thanks
'fraid Snoopy's bar is no more. Pity you can't open my pictures (I wonder why not) but one is of the wall of Snoopy's which is all that is left while they totally rebuild it!

But most of the rest is up and running OK.

Now if only the weather would improve!
Hello cubsur & clareski, I find that the first link does not work for me I have to go to the second one further down page one, that one works fine.

Dave
Any recommendations for bars with live music in the old town?
Hi

2 years ago we enjoyed the live music at the Rock Cafe and one just along from it. Unsure of its name but strangely enough I think it may have been Amnesia!! The bar that is, not me. Come to think of it............ :?

Lummie

3 weeks, 2 days tick tick tick.....
What am I like, it was called "Vertigo". (Maybe I just cant remember if I'm scared of heights :)

Good music anyway

Lummie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.