EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
hiya you need tax number before you can open account its easy to get one but you have to go to tax office with your passport
Mydobey is correct, to open a bank account in Turkey you first have to go to the local tax office with your passport to obtain a tax number. The you can go along to the bank and open an account.
sorry- not been on for a few days.
She does already have a tax number, but has been told she needs to be there in person to open the bank account. She can go over but would rather not go now unless its completely necessary. Seems strange.
We recently opened bank accounts in Turkey. As others have said you need to have a tax number. You don't have to go yourselves for this, a representative can go with a copy of your passport with your parents details listed on the copy. However, to open the bank account you have to physically go to a bank in person with your passport and tax number - this can't be done by a representative.
thanks cazzholly. She will just have to take some time off- great excuse for a break :D
Perhaps you'll consider this :offtop but all the banks seem to be scared silly by the potential for money-laundering, and that's perhaps why she may need to make a 'personal appearance'!
I think you are right. We have bought properties in a couple of places and it seemed like we had to jump through hoops to get the money sorted. But we did not have to make an appearance.
My wife and I both opened Bank Accounts in Turkey with HSBC. Albeit 7 years ago. We did this from the UK. again with HSBC UK. Took around 10 weeks to get there but we did. The Bank obtain your Tax Number and when we arrived we just had to sign to say that we had received it.Then we were away at 32 % interest then. Not so now but Hey Ho it's a good life in Turkey.

Ian
Sounds like it used to be a lot easier then, Ian. We tried going down the route of opening an account in the UK and were told by law we had to go to the bank in person armed with passport and a tax number. Still, it was another excuse for us to have to go out to Turkey!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.