UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Keighley is on the edge of Bronte country, visit Howarth. There is also the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway (Railway children) Skipton with its market and castle definitely worth a visit.

That should fill the weekend, but you are so close to the dales if you want to stay longer - I could go on.

Patka
Know Keighley v well - it's 12 miles from where I'm sitting now. Where are you staying? Nothing much to do in Keighley town, steam railway will be running - search for KWVR, East Riddlesden Hall is a National Trust property in Keighley. Haworth is on the railway - Bronte connection. Bit of a hike up the hill from the railway station, but village is pretty enough. Will be busy at Easter. If you take the car watch out for clamping in the private run Changegate car park - park in the Council car park next to the Bronte Parsonage if you can.

Aire valley has lots to offer - Bingley Five Rise locks on the Leeds Liverpool canal. Walk along canal to Saltaire - only 2-3 miles. Saltaire is a World Heritage site with a large David Hockney exhibition in the old mill. Get train back to Keighley.

Bradford has the National Media museum - good for half a day or longer if it's bad weather. Imax cinema worth a visit.

Heading north you have Skipton and the Yorkshire Dales - plenty to do there.
Thanks everybody

Patka, I like the sound of the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, just a big kid at heart.

Briar I had read vans report and seen his excellent pictures, glad he had a nice and well deserved time.

Thanks for the info daveyjp especially the clampers.
We are not staying anywhere fancy, just at the innkeepers lodge.
The friday, Saturday and Sunday on a Bed and Breakfast basis for a grand total of £79.

Thanks again
Graham
Are you taking the car Graham...how mobile are you and yours (walking wise)...what you wanting from the visit...a leisurely stroll? Museums? A hike?

The local has lots to offer if you want to get out in the country and not far to travel from Keighley.

Van :wave
Hi Van :wave

Yes we are taking the car down, but when there we will also have our hiking boots, so a bit of a walk is in order.

If there are any must see museums nearby that would also be good.

Cheers
Graham
If you are walking I recommend Malham - 20-30 minutes drive and a spectacular cove you can walk up if feeling energetic, well worth it for the views if its fine. Listers Arms on the village green has good food and beer!

I've already mentioned the National Media Museum in Bradford. The KWVR have exhibits at Ingrow, Haworth and Oxenhope stations. Royal Armouries in Leeds is also a good day out.
Thanks again Dave

I had a look a the KWVR website, very interesting with the added bonus of :glynis real ale available on the buffet carriage, that sounds just perfect, or should I say just reet.

I also like the sound of Malham so will give that a bash, and you never know we might even leave the Lister Arms and do the walk :lol:

Thanks once again
Graham
The real ale bar on the KWVR is a brilliant concept - I recommend the local brew Timothy Taylors Landlord. Just enough time on the 5 mile trip for a couple of pints!!

If you like your real ale I also recommend some of the Timothy Taylors pubs in Keighley - the Volunteers on Lawkholme Lane is a good one, as is th Boltmakers on East Parade (this one is within stumbling distance of the station)! Links aren't permitted, but if you search for The Boltmakers, Keighley you should come to a website call abeerintheevening which has reviews.

Save the Listers until AFTER the hike!
Save the Listers until AFTER the hike!

:cry: Probably good advice :lol:

Indeed Timothy Taylors Landlord is an excellent brew and one of my favourites.

:glynis
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.