Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
papas back 2008
69 Posts
looking forward to 2nd installment!!
Looking forward to the next instalment

GM06
Ian
Part two then.

We soon settled in to our usual Goa routine.That is to say doing very little or indeed nothing at all.We would wake up when we liked if we had missed the little on offer for breakfast at HBR then we were not bothered(we usually did miss it).

We hired a scooter and spent our days at various shacks.As I said we started out at Bobbys but once we had stopped looking through the rose tinted spectacles it became apparent that there were even more sunbeds than ever on Candolim beach.I understand they are satisfying a demand but it really is getting crowded.Bobby and quite a few others charge 50 rupees each bed a day and I know how much this bothers some people.Bobbys prices are also a bit dearer than others and even though it is still ridiculously cheap the difference can add up.

Anyway as we had transport we went a bit further up Candolim beach found a much quieter spot at Dreamers shack and spent quite a bit of time there.No sunbed charge and quite a bit cheaper food and drink wise.

Of course it is cheaper for a reason.Bobby has to pay security to keep the sellers away and other shacks allow sellers to use their patch as long as they provide cheap labour carrying drinks etc.

I never really let the sellers get to me this year and was only prodded awake once.Maybe they have had a long season or they could just tell we were regulars but a gentle shake of the head usually did the trick.Anyway we all have to eat.

Again we did not find the taxis as bad this year or maybe we have just got used to them and shut them out of our ears.However it is obvious by how many are just parked up all the time there are far too many of them.You can see how much they must be earning if they can afford to spend so much time sat around.

The other shack we tried was Ganesh up by the River Princess.We spent a couple of days there so I could check on the progress of shifting the hulk.Lots of activity but I still think it will be there if we go back next year.The second day we spent at Ganesh we had ordered lunch and after about five minutes my OH got the most terrible cramps and we just had to get back to the hotel.I went to pay the bill and of course offered to pay for the food we had ordered but Ganesh would not take the money.A nice thing to do I thought and we will be paying another visit if we return.

Restaurants.

We tried:

Inferno.As usual good food but the place is now so busy all the time it has become very impersonal.

Casa Sea Shell.Maybe picked a bad night but found it average to say the least.

Carvery.Again very average on our visit.

Roma.Excellent Italian food in a nice setting if a little pricey by Goan standards.

Souyemans Kitchen.A direct transplant from After Seven.Follows exactly the same business plan that was so successful at After Seven.We had two meals there.The first one excellent the second only O.K.Nice setting and good service add up to a better than usual and considerably more expensive Goan dining experience.

After Seven.Well what can I say.I think word has got out about his ex chef opening up over the road and it seems to have affected his business.The night we were there it was very quiet.Also my steak had been so severely tenderised it had no texture at all.I forsee tough times ahead for After Seven now he has such direct competition doing exactly the same as him but cheaper.These two places have one thing in common.They attempt to offer you superior dining and once you have added up all the extra costs particularly the wine it ends up being a quite expensive night.Nice for a special night though.

Floyds Hut.Probably would not have visited this place had it not been for the recommendations on this forum.So glad we did.Top food excellent value for money particularly the wine and first class service from waiters who seem genuinely glad to see you.Visited four times and consistent on all occasions.Very busy so get there early.

I think that is enough for now.I will finish up as soon as I get the chance with a few general observations and thoughts on our trip.

Regards

Papa
We always have most of our meals at floyds hut,never had a bad meal,as you say papa
the waiters are always pleased to see you,and Alvino the owner always stops for a chat :tup
ann
Final bit.

So as we settled into our routine and the rose tinted specs started to clear.After a few days being called a taxi does rather start to get you down but as I said I did not let it bother me too much.Same goes for the sellers the same hard luck stories and you just do not know what to believe.

Candolim is very crowded and there is indeed lots of litter everywhere including the beach and all the approaches to the beaches.

Traffic gets worse every year and although it looks like they are putting pavements in they do not look like they are going to be wide enough for two people to pass at the same time.Also putting a new drainage system in on the beach side of the road unfortunately the contractor has not seemed to be able to lay the manholes level with the road ensuring that on foot you trip over them or on scooter you have to swerve to avoid them.Suppose money changed hands.

Lots of Russians around and although I did not see it myself apparently Russian prostitutes available.Obviously did not look hard enough.They do seem to be a rather obnoxious race and from what I saw can certainly drink us under the table.The Goans are getting set up for them with lots of menu boards in Russian.

The second week got really hot and humid and towards the end I picked up a mild dose of Delhi belly which sort of makes you look at things differently.

One thing that amused me was the Indian adverts.India has now got a big marketing machine bombarding the wealthier population with adverts for things they do not need much the same as at home.Ironically all the actors and actresses in the adverts have very light skin and indeed there are a lot of skin whitening products advertised.Strange that Indians have now been told to aspire to being more white while we get on the plane in our thousands to spend two weeks getting dark.A strange world indeed.

Another thing I noticed once my specs had cleared was we also now have a different type of U.K. tourist who have discovered Goa and they are bringing their kids with them.Usually spotted in their more normal Southern European habitat during the summer holidays tattooed and beer stained vests appear to be the favoured form of dress.Their children need no supervision because they are little angels.So they can run around ruining everyone elses holiday while mum and dad busy themselves with the important business of getting rotten drunk and then having a fight.

I know this is a touchy subject to a lot of people but one of the reasons we go long haul is to avoid this type of tourist and particularly their children.Not getting into the Goa and children row but it would definitely affect our decision as to whether to return or not.More kids equals less Papa and OH.Enough said.

So Goa has changed a lot just in the last year.Tried to be as balanced as I can lots of good things still there and lots going wrong and getting worse.I do not own Goa it is for everyone so its not up to me who can and cannot go.The only thing I can do is look at the overall experience and try to decide if it still has that magic.Right now the jury is still out but I would have to say a lot of the magic has rubbed off.Time will tell if we return or not and I will be a regular contributor and avid reader of this amazing forum.Thanks to Fiona for making it what it is and to all of you who contribute so much information.

Regards

Papa
Can you tell me why you equate Tattoos = Scum ? You have absolutely no idea of a persons background just because they have tattoos...

I myself have many tattoos from my days when I served queen and country through the Falklands war to the first gulf war. Following 8 years with the West Midlands police i have for the last 9 years been a highly successful IT Consultant with one of the worlds largest IT Consultancy Companys.

I am perfectly well behaved, polite and friendly to all who do not judge me from my cover...I get sick and tired of the nonsense that is spouted on these forums about people with tattoos being lower caste!

I manage to hold down my very important job which involves international travel and many many meetings with numerous cultures despite having a large number of tattoos including on my hands.

I am not particularly proud of having so many tattoos but I have them now and I would certainly not get rid of them to suit others, as I said I obtained mine whilst serving in HM Forces where back in the day it was the thing that sailors did.

They have never held me back and they never will.

So please grow up with your puerile snide comments about them unless you know the person don't judge a book by their cover.....Rant Over
oh and another thing - could you please tell me where Floyds Hut is :tup
Hi Gaz,

Yes I perhaps should not have equated tatoos with what I was trying to get across.I did not however use the word scum.You quite rightly point out that tatoos are a form of body art widely used and perhaps I could have used another analogy to describe the type of person I meant.Actually I usually try not to put people in boxes and judge them by their looks.My own brother served in the Falklands and indeed has a couple of tatoos.A perfectly nice chap himself probably just like you.So I apologise for any offence re body art.

Re-reading my post and my description I now realise that a much better way to describe what I meant was to call them...well I was just about to use an offensive word that I did not use in my original post.

Sorry gaz but you know what I mean.You cannot indeed judge a person by their looks body art or clothes thet wear rather though by the way they behave and the way they behave towords others.That is what I came across in Goa this year.Badly behaved *nobhead* and their chldren.

By the way Floyds Hut is almost directly opposite Magnum Resort on the main Candolim road.Enjoy.

Regards

Papa
I know what you mean Papa and I definitely agree
Thank you for taking the time out to reply to my Rant - its much appreciated....

i will now concentrate on finishing my list of where to eat...so many recommendations so few days....by my reckoning i should just about fulfill the challenge if we eat 6 meals a day! :rofl
my wife and I have taken my son twice to Goa (3 and this year he was 4).
My parents have property there and he loves spending time with them.

I must admit many many times during our holidays and flights and airport time we have experienced middle aged couples looking at us oddly as if "what the he11 are you bringing a kid here for".
It doesnt take an idiot to think of the many educational and personal advantages it has to bring him on.

I find it quite annoying and have actually almost bit a couple of times.

Sure I have been on holidays where the parents are boozing and as long as the kid is being watched by others or in kids clubs they are happy.

I dont like being tarred with the same brush and have as much right to visit than anyone else, infact IMO more of a right, my parents live there half the year.

This isnt a rant at you but this attitude in general which I feel is portrayed by sad couples who have never had kids and wouldnt understand.
Boom! another cannon fires at you, papa .... :rofl :rofl :rofl
it seems we have to be very careful with words or not to publish a report at all.
I agree with you, papa, families with children must look after their kids. having their holidays, and not spoiling others.
  • Edited by Fiona 2008-03-22 07:46:27
    inappropriate comment removed
elephant wrote:
Boom! another cannon fires at you, papa .... :rofl :rofl :rofl
it seems we have to be very careful with words or not to publish a report at all.
I agree with you, papa, families with children must look after their kids. having their holidays, and not spoiling others.

Of coure you should publish reports. Just publish them as you would speak i.e. non singling out of people/groups.

and yes families with children must look after their kids.....mines bad enough to keep me busy :D
I had a feeling that this would generate some controversy.I did point out that Goa does not belong to me and it is not up to me who goes there.I also pointed out that what we came across on holiday has a direct result about will we go back.

My report was about our experiences and I had to be honest about them.I understand some people are more than capable of taking their children to Goa and giving them a wonderful life changing experience.

However I came across the other type of parent and I did not like what I saw.

Yes we do not have children and that was our decision,and yes we do prefer to holiday were there are not a lot of children.If there are children around then it is not too much to ask that their parents ensure a certain level of behaviour so that their actions do not impact on other peoples enjoyment.

I am sorry to say that we saw far too much bad behaviour from a certain type of holidaymaker(mainly adults) who usually holidays much closer to home.I dare not say where or I fear a lynching coming on for generalising again.

Again there is no point writing a report unless you put the bad in as well as the good.I have to be honest about our experiences or whats the point.

As I said the jury is out on wether we return but I will still contribute to and read the forum.

Regards

Papa
I am sorry Papa, but we have taken our kids with us for the last two years and we are off again next week.

We do not get roaring drunk, spoiling for a fight and leave our kids to get on with it annoying other guests.

Our kids can up to a point entertain themselves, especially as they are 16 and 13 now, by playing cricket or football on the beach with the sunbed attendants or a sort of water polo by the pool.

The main problem with some people who visit Goa is that they think it is a haven for adults only.

Last year whilst at the Highland, someone who looked as though they had been devoid of any sense of fun for many years thought it OK to tell my children to stop playing in the pool as it was for bathers!! And to stop splashing!!??

I am more conscious than most of how children should behave in public and raise my children in the appropriate manor.

On the other side of it, when my kids and I were playing cricket on the beach, 2 adults joined in, smashed the tennis ball high in the air and it landed on somone who was face down bathing at the time. The "adult" handed my son the bat and legged it.......nice.

The problem here and on many forums is that there is too much wide brush tarring, and maybe people need to think a little more before casting aspersions and glowering looks.

I have tattoos by the way and like football, but am certainly not a thug!!!
The main problem with some people who visit Goa is that they think it is a haven for adults only.

That's me. At least I'm honest about that fact.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.