America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
NYC - May 2008
87 Posts
Hi Nicky,

Yes that a decent flight price and is around what we paid this past May from Manchester to Newark.
I'd also heartily recommnend RCA - we stayed in a studio for 2 and thought it was a great place to stay for a first visit. Book soon though as they are popular and do sell out quickly (they need a cc to secure but there's no deposit so you won't have to pay anything until you arrive).

Enjoy!!
Puddleduck

Ive just read yuor review and its very helpful

we are planning on going in April and will book it after Xmas - have heard BA have a good sale on in January also

You sould like you had a great time and we defo wana eat one day at Gordon Ramsay restaurant - its my hubbys bfday (30) so will have some surprises for him

Jo
Hi Jo, oh we did - it was a fabulous experience. If you are going to the London in NYC you'll need to book in advance. They only take telephone bookings and open the calendar two months in advance. I called exactly 2 months before we wanted to go and got the exact time we wanted. You'll find the details, including menus here - http://www.gordonramsay.com/gratthelondon/
Thanks for that puddleduck

we are booking after xmas so will do it then thanks for the link

cant wait - am starting to save my pennies now

Jo
Puddleduck

At Gordon Ramsay's are they strict about the fellas wearing jackets - we are going to go dressed up but my hubby would prefer to go without a suit if poss

Look forward to your reply

Jo
Hi Jo,

We had the same dilemma as my hubby has a uniform for work and is more of jeans and shirt kind of guy. He hardly ever wears a suits and only has the one! After much discussion he did take his suit. The alternative was for him to take trousers and shirt and then buy 'dress jacket' once we got there but he decided that he'd probably never really wear a dress jacket either so stuck to his suit! :lol:

Jackets are "preferred" according to the website and I have to say that all the guys in there had one on.
Thanks for ur quick reply

He is the same - he has 2 suits but didnt really wana take one there - we are defo booking in Janary after doing that much research i feel i have already been

I feel we may need to take one just in case as we do wana defo eat there - we thought he might get away with a shirt and pair of pants

Jo
Puddleduck2 - thanks for your reply but we didnt book the apartments in time and they are now fully booked!!!! I'm searching again - does anyone know of any other apartment sites for NYC.

JoanneLiverpool - do you know if the majority of airlines have sales on in Jan?

Thanks
Nicky
we stayed at the eastgate tower last march. we had a room with kitchen facilities.you can see it here
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93435-Reviews-Eastgate_Tower-New_York_City_New_York.html.we have also stayed at the affinia manhatten right next to penn station.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93562-Reviews-Affinia_Manhattan-New_York_City_New_York.html
Thanks Kiershay, just checked online and they are fully booked for my dates!!! The search begins :shock:

Nicky
Hi Nicky, yes some will have sales but when I was looking for this year I found that they aren't as cheap as they used to be. The days of the £150 flight are about gone now. We paid just over £300 for ours (I booked in Jan for May) but that said due to hubbys shifts we did have a short travel window so if you can be a bit more flexible you may get cheaper. And of course once you've booked, don't go back in and check the prices, book at a price you are happy paying and leave it at that. I've seen so many people on here complain they could have got cheaper if they'd waited a week!
Hi Puddleduck2 - yes that's exactly what we will do once booked!!! I was checking out Continental and they have a flight for £328.00 so I think we may just go ahead and book now and then do not check any more dates, as our dates are fixed unfortuantely (19-26 May).

How did you find the weather in May (I realise it may not be the same but it will give us an idea of what to pack) - the other times I have been to NYC have been in Nov.

can I be a pain and ask you to post a link to your trip report.

Many thanks
Nicky
Hi Nicky, it's in the city break forum, here's the link to the page it's on, you'll need to scroll down to about half way - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=16727&start=80

We flew Continental from Manchester and they were fine. I was particularly impressed with the self service check in at Newark on the way back.

We had fine weather. The only time it rained was on the Saturday night (it was raining when we left the restaurant) but other than that it was OK, infact the day we left it was scorching! It was a bit chilly one morning but we were up early but on the whole it was fine to walk around in a long sleeved top or Tshirt. I'd recommend that you take some comfy trousers, a skirt and a few tops with different arm lengths, plus a cardigan or light jacket. That was you can layer and as the day warms up strip off as you need to.

Hope that helps. Any more questions, just shout.
Hi Nicky

We have found a good deal on expedia with the hotel which we thought was out of our price range we will be booking it in the next couple of days

We were guna wait til Jan but darent chance it

Jo
Hi Joanne

Can you tell me what hotel and what airline and are you travelling in April or May?

Nicky
We are lookin at stayin at the Westin - we had a few other hotels in mind but the deal there is too good when you price it yourself

The flight is with BA or American Airlines - they use the same if you know what i mean - American AIrlines use BA planes ive been told

Jo
Oppps sorry we are travellnig last week in APril

Jo
Apartment is booked :D 2 bedroom at the Best Western Hospitality Hotel - we have decided to wait until Jan for the flight (fingers crossed there will be a sale on a few of the airlines).

Nicky
Great news Nicky. I'm jealous, I wish we were going back!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.