America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
NYC - May 2008
87 Posts
Hi Jo

We have booked for 19th-26th May - the apartment is costing us £327 each (but this is subject to change as prices are not out yet for May 08). I have been checking out flights and they have all gone up - you are now looking at £380 this is why we are now going to wait until Jan.

Nicky

p.s. where about in Liverpool are you from?
Thats a really great price

we are def going to book that deal through expedia it hasnt gone up this week so fingers crossed

we are in halewood

Jo
ooohh its exciting - I really cant wait to go back and see the City at a different time in the year (I went last Nov). Come Jan I'll be asking for places to see/do etc....

I live in Walton!!!
Cool Nicky - you will have to tell us the best places to go as well

we havent been - we going for hubbys birthday

cant wait to get there and shop have a list of what i want and we arent going til April hope the dollar is still as good

we are ordering some money this week as well to put away

Cant wait

Jo
I will be doing a trip report on my return - I have also started my list I pick things up from other people's trip reports :D

I bought £500 woth of dollars and got $1020 (the dollar is really good at the min).

Nic
Yeah we go before you though ha ha
Thats good about the dollars aint it

proper bargain hunting when we go

Just with you being before thought you would have some places on your list defo worth visiting

Jo
ha ha - I'm all excited - not reading posts properly!!! :shock:

Will defo jot down a few things for you to do :D

Nicky
Ta for that Nicky

Cant wait - once christmas is out of the way we can start and count down
We are booked whooo hoooo

Cant wait

Jo
ooohh very good - where are staying and what dates do you go??
We are giong the 26th April - 4 nights
Stayin at the Westin Times Square
ooohh fantastic - do you mind me asking what you paid? The countdown can now begin lol.... :D
I dont mind - 740 each

we could have got it cheaper with a different hotel - but we picked that one as a bit special one off

Cant wait

Jo
that's not bad!!! Your hotel looks fab - I've had a sneaky look on the internet. You'll have to start your list now of places to see/do/eat etc....

When we went in November this is what we done:

Staten Island Ferry
Carriage Ride in Central Park
Ice Skating in Central Park
Empire State Building (but a lot of people have said that the TOTR is better) we will be doing that on our next visit.
Shopping on 5th Avenue (bought a lovely bracelet from Tiffany)
Took a walk in Central Park (being From Liverpool we went to Strawberry Fields and Dakota Building)
Chinatown
St Patricks Cathedral
Grand Central Station
Shopping, Shopping and more Shopping

We just walked loads as welll and took the subway!!!

We also went to Greenwich Village in the evening, went for something to eat and a few drinks!!

This time round we are going to try and get a BAG (Big Apple Greeter), walk across the Brooklkyn Bridge, Gospel Bruch, TOTR and a million other things lol - once I've had a peek at a few other trip reports to get some ideas.

Anything else you need to know just ask....

Nicky
Thanks for that Nicky

yeah looks nice doesnt it

Just a tip - we have booked our flights with American Airlines - they worked out cheaper than booking with BA and it says on our confirmation that they use BA anyway so just a pointer if u lookin for flights they sometimes are cheaper

Ha ha thats where im going for some jewellery - we giong to Gordon Ramsays for his bfday as well on his actuall birthday so might spent the day of his bfday shopping - and do the other days sightseeing - ur list looks good - yeah we might do TOTR the first day we get there and have a wander round see a few things

Are the ice rinks open all year round -

Jo
Jo I'm not sure about the rinks being open all year round (I dont think they are) but I could be wrong!!!

I've just been looking TA and someone posted a link to this bar which is supposed to have fab views of Manhattend - check it out, will be putting this on our list of thing to do lol...

http://www.230-fifth.com

Nicky
Ha ha Nicky im obsessed with TA

wow that looks boss

have added that to my favs

cheers

Jo
Girls, I'm not sure about Woolman Rink but the outdoor Rockerfeller Rink definately isn't open all year, it's only there for the winter months (bizzarely there was a golf tournament on the space when we went in May!!).

Funnily enough Nicky, I saw that too had have added it to my wish list for our next visit

Hey Joanne, how come you missed the TA NYC forum? It was essential reading before we went, they're a great bunch and full of good advice. I got quite upset if I didn't get my daily fix and still go on now (not as often though)
I am going to NY in March and have compiled endless lists of what to see, where to eat, how to get around from info on the TA site. It will be my first visit and as I am going solo I was slightly aprehensive about getting around. Through reading the FAQ's and posts I almost feel I now know the city, and haven't any qualms about walking around and using the subway, and at least I have an idea where downtown, uptown, mid town etc.,are and can't wait for March to get here.
I also saw the post today about the view from 230-5th and have added it to my list.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.