Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hi all :?

Have read quite a few reviews on this hotel, some say lovely and clean others say tatty which one is it? Could someone please advise me as i've booked to stop there in Aug 06.

Thank you in advance Jen :)
Jan,
Going there for Christmas; will post a review when we return.We're going All-inclusive so will try to make some notes as soon as we get there while I can still focus!! :glynis
Hi Sarges, :wave

Thanks for you quick reply, have you been on

http://www.paraisodealbufeira.pt/en/index.php

Waiting with bated breath for you post. don't forget

Thanks again Jen xx
Hi Sarges,

:oops: Me again I meant to ask, could you also check about a recent post I read which said you have to pay a deposit for the TV remote and 100 euros as another kind of deposit when you first get there. what for I don't know. I've ask the travel agent and she said if it is'nt in the book you won't be ask for it. but this other traveller said it was'nt in the book and he was asked for it.

Sorry about all the questions I just want to be prepared.

Thanks again Lov Jen xx :sun
Hi Jen,
Nothing was mentioned to me about a 100 euro deposit when I booked direct with the hotel.We 're staying All-inclusive, so if they ask for a further 100 euros I'll tell them that I wasn't expecting to have to fork out a single cent and they can go and whistle !!
Hi Sarges :wave

Phones the travel agent up again this morning,she said she will check it out and get back to me re deposit.

She has contacted them direct and has been advised YES :shock: you are required to pay 100 euros when you first arrive and when you leave you get it back. It is charged in case of any damage to property or anything broken.

If you have a credit card you can leave you details and if everything is ok they will just destory your details and not charge your card. Bit risky letting strangers have your cards details or do you disagree.

Luv Jen xxx
Hi Jen,
That's absolutely preposterous !!
Luckily, I've kept every piece of correspondence I've had with the hotel, and there is no mention of any such deposit. I originally booked a studio, but,having read some reviews after booking, upgraded to a twin apartment as the studios have only pull-out beds. The hotel said that it is O.K. for me to pay the balance on arrival, so, if they ask for a deposit against possible breakages etc. I'll withold 100 euros of the balance due against the possibility of me getting food poisoning !! If they want to play silly b******, I'll join in, but it won't be an ideal start to a Christmas holiday, will it ?
Will post details of any confrontation on my return.
Jen, it's me again,
I assume that, with using a travel agent, you have booked the holiday with a holiday firm. If so, was there any mention of the deposit in the brochure? If not, I hope that you are going to complain bitterly to both the agent and the holiday firm.A matter such as this is surely a material fact which you should have been given before booking and I don't think anyone has the right to alter the rules after you have booked.Get stuck into them and don't be messed about!! Good luck.
Hi Sarges,

Yes I did book with a travel agent and it is not in the book or was I informed about the charge at the time of booking, I have therefore logged a complaint with Thomas cook. We will see what happens.

As you say it is not worth ruining your holiday now you have booked up.

I can understand about paying for anything damage or broken, thats fair enough but to withhold 100 euros till you check out is a bit much.

Do you think it would be safe enough to give them your card details, because if the depoist is only charge to a card if there has been damage etc:

I'm not going to let it put me off my hols Luv Jen :sun
Hi again Jen,
Since my last post, it's crossed my mind that the deposit may only be required from self-catering guests against possible damage to crockery etc. - are you going self- catering or are you H/B or all-inclusive?
As far as leaving my card details is concerned, there's not much I can do about that, as, come to think of it, they already have my details from when I booked as I put the holiday together myself.
It's not going to spoil my holiday, but the cabaret could well start early and be held in reception if they start asking for 100 euros when I get there !!
Hi Sarges,

We are going all-inclusive, the travel agent states everybody pays it not only SC. If they have you card details already their will charge you card at the end of your stay if there is any breakage or damage. They should inform you of this at the time you book into the hotel.

Don't forget you have to pay a deposit for the TV remote as well. it will be a wonder if anyone has any money left to spend after paying this and that which we have not been informed about.

Never mind I always tell my husband we share everything ups and downs Money, he just laugh and said oh yes thats true what is mine is mine and what is his, is mine as well. only joking ( I think) :lol:

Cheers Jen :roll:
Hi,
If they put anything whatsoever on my card without my express permission, they'll be in for a nasty shock. We've made a lot of Portuguese friends over the years we've been going to the Algarve - and one of them is a solicitor !!
Hi Sarges,

I have been advised you are told at the time you book in to the hotel.

From reading your post I see you know the Algarve pretty well, what trips can you recommend? do you book with the rep or is there someone local
where you get better value for you money? Last question (for today that is ha ha ) Where is the best place to change your money at home or aboard.

There has been good and bad reports on this hotel, I don't care I am still going looking forward to going to the Algarve for the first time

Thanks Jen xx :)
Hi Jen.
This is a stupid time to be told they expect a 100 euro deposit !! Going all-inclusive, you will naturally take less spending money than you would if you were H/B or S/C, and £70 is a big chunk out of it when you're not expecting it. I wonder what their success rate is ?
It's a long time since we did any of the trips but have done them all over the years. The Jeep Safari is good ( if a little rough ) and you'll see parts of the rural Algarve which you'd otherwise not experience. One tip: take a change of top with you as you're likely to get a bit of a soaking and it avoids having to travel back in damp clothes. The trip to the Monchique mountains was really picturesque but, since we went last, they have had terrible fires in the Monchique and I don't know how well the area has recovered.The visit to the Western Algarve will show you some breathtaking coastal scenery and is well recommended.
These trips will be on sale in lots of places,mostly cheaper than the rep can do them, but remember that the guide will probably be giving his/her commentary in more than one language dependent on the nationalities of the passengers.
Personally I usually take euros bought in this country and top-up,if necessary, at an A.T.M, but only if I've got safe facilities at the hotel.This, as you will probably see, is a bit of a contentious issue here on H.T. and I think you may have re-opened an old can of worms - wait for it !!
Hope you have a great time when it comes and I'll post a report on the hotel on my return; what's the betting I'll know the manager's name by the time I return?
Deposits at a complex which offers self catering facilities are quite normal, but I find are more often asked for during the summer season, and even late September/October, they are not asked for.

I personally would leave a imprint of my debit/credit card if needed.

I am going to this hotel in February on a self catering basis, and have not been told of this either, but I'm aware it sometimes happens.

Looking forwards to the reviews,

Robby :wink:
Robby,
I quite agree - I could justify a deposit against possible damage to crockery etc., but staying A/I there is no way we'll be likely to cause damage to these.I (unfortunately), am past swinging from the chandelier and the possibility of me causing damage is no greater than the chances of getting food poisoning, for which I am considering witholding 100 euros of the balance I am due to pay the hotel on my arrival.
I know it's a Christmas break but it looks as if there is going to be a pantomime in Reception before we even see our Christmas dinner.
I would be very surprised if you get asked for this deposit on a winter holiday, but who knows, maybe they have had rooms trashed in the past.

All this booze etc. on tap :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best of luck,

Robby :wink:
I'm sure all hotels have experienced some degree of vandalism and how they deal with it is their own affair.My objection ( and we may be jumping the gun here ) is that I have had five or six e-mail contacts with them whilst arranging this holiday and not once has the question of this type of deposit been mentioned. I had an e-mail from them confirming the amount of deposit required to book the room and I would have thought that this would have been an ideal time for them to have mentioned any other deposit required.It's quite possible that I will hear no more about the matter and that my subsequent review will ge a giant anti-climax :let's hope so!!
Hi Sagres :wave

Guess what I have just been talking to a young lady who stopped at this hotel in April, she states she was at no time ask to pay any deposit.
So what with her and the travel agent, one hand says one thing and the other hand says something completly different. I am sorry if I have put the muck before the muck cart by advising about the deposit. :oops:

She said it was. the best holiday she has ever had.

Will let you know if I hear anything else.

Love Jen xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.