France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Perhaps looks for something on the Left Bank, Rive Gauche, as I believe it may be less expensive there while still in a busy area.

Have a look at THIS TOPIC in our City Breaks forum as there may be hotel recommendations there.

I would recommend getting the Museum Pass (Carte Musee?) and a Metro Pass. Not only can you get into all the museums, you can go to the front of the queue, or at least you used to be able to.

http://www.parismetro.com

We were queuing at the Louvre when an attendant saw me holding the pass and dragged us straight to the front which was great as there are always long queues there.

I think we had a 3 day Metro pass and took one for the zone that includes Versailles. If I was doing it again I would just get one for the zones in central Paris and pay for the journey to Versailles as a one off.

luci :wave
Thank you, that was really helpfull.

A hotel we have been recommended is Les degres de Notre Dame. It has good reviews but I can't seem to find where you can book it. I didn't realise how many hotels there was in Paris!
Just copy & paste the hotel name into Google (you get 1.6 million results) and take your pick.

Doing this always yields results. You might also find the hotels website in there.
we have decided on staying in the latin quartier near the Notre Dame. Still trying to pick a hotel. We have found easy jet to be very good for flights and hotel prices.
We shall also probably do paris dec/Jan. Never been before , dont know why .Probably because it's always been too obvious :que but I have a bucket full of tesco voucers and airmiles to use so will book the Eurostar .

We would also like a fairly central place to stop . We prefer to walk around and not sure if we will be able to cover paris on foot (probably another reason we have never been). I havnt started any research yet but once transport is booked I normally ask for advice here & also head for TA greenshoes and look through their hotel & b &B list , making a note of those within budget & with good reviews . I then use their "compare price facility" and up will come quotes from the popular bed bookers . Surprising how quotes vary.

Have you done much research on the latin quarter Greenshoes . sounds nice (well the name does anyway :D ) . Is is fairly central .

lyn
You can cover a fair bit on foot, but we found we used the Metro a lot to get to places.

I've seen Paris described as "compact", but I didn't think it was that compact.

We found the price of eating out to be very expensive, even at the place off the main streets. There are Menu of the Day which are better value, but still not cheap.

We used the McDonald's on the Champs-Elysees a lot during the day to help the budget.

luci :wave
Thanks Luci . Hopefully will be doing some more research soon .
Lyn - use the metro to get about: it's really simple. Last time we were in Paris we stayed in Montmartre because I really like the area -we had an apartment booked through Citadines which was excellent. We bought stuff from the supermarket and sometimes ate in, but there are also restaurants which are not too expensive in that area. It is really easy to get about by walking and then hopping on the metro, and so for us the location was good -we still did all the usual things - Eiffel tower, boat trip etc. My daughter has also stayed in a couple of budget but really decent hotels there. I also confess to visiting McDonalds on the Champs Elysees.
So we have booked the Abbatial St Germain in latin quartier. All I can suggest is do alot of reading to find the best area for you. My partner and I like getting out and about during the day but at night time like to be walking distance and there is alot of nightlife near our hotel so for us that was where we wanted to be. Also, we booked direct with the hotel and got a room with a balcony ........10 weeks to go!
Right I'm about to book the eurostar using my airmiles & researching area's now for a stay just after xmas. I've researched & posted on TA and had lot's of help but it's difficult when our amercian friends tend to have a different type of itinery than us .

I'm requesting an area to stay in that is historic , has plenty of charm (As will our choice of hotel), central so we can do as much as possible on foot , plenty of eating places but at the same time not too busy , & as traffic free as possible. We only have 2 nights (can't afford a hotel for any longer :rofl ) but will leave early and come back late giving us almost 3 full days . I dont want this to be a tick list of sights weekend and want to equally spend time just wandering whilst being watered & fed .

I've been recommended the Marais district (4) or The Ile St Louis . the 2nd option looks right up our street . It is a little more expensive but is it worth it & could it be too quiet .

Any more suggestions are welcome

lyn
;) Can anybody recommend a good place to eat? Not very expensive))) and probably a good night club?
Thanks
It's been a busy few weeks since we returned from our trip to Paris in the new year but better late than never I say.

We have done lot's of city breaks over the last few years but for some reason we have never felt drawn to Paris . Really can't think of a decent explaination other than the fact that it was maybe too much of an obvious choice and that coming from London we thought Paris would be exactly the same . A busy business type city with a multitude of high rise , hemmed in buildings & shops.

I had wanted to do something over christmas but my husband refused to go anywhere near an airport over the busy holiday period so in order for me to get a nice weekend somewhere I booked the more relaxed eurostar from Ebbsfleet, half an hour from home .

Paris could not have been further from our expectations . A beautiful city , open , low rise with the most stunning jaw dropping architecture . At the same time it felt unique & very french .

I suppose the fact that we stayed in a relatively historic part of Paris helped . We chose a small hotel called les degres de notre dame that was a reasonable cost for paris, included breakfast which most hotels in Paris dont and had good reviews http://lesdegreshotel.monsite-orange.fr/ . It was also in a great central location for many of the main tourist attractions . Right opposite the Notre Dame in a quaint and historic location just across from the two islands Ile de la cite (where the notra dame is) and ile St louis . both lovely for a stroll.

We arrived around midday on the sunday and after a drink & some lunch Dave route marched me down the Seine to the furthest away attraction the Eiffel tower . That was quite a walk & I could barely keep up the pace but we enjoyed the beautiful architecture along the way . I'd made a booking online for the Eiffel tower for 5.30 but we arrived way too early so stopped for a coffee while gazing at the crowds there . So pleased we had booked in advance and we could just skip the long queue . We got the lift to the 2nd floor but was then presented with another huge queue for the top . We decided not to bother and after a stop to admire the view headed back down using the steps.

On to the Champs-Elysees which was a bit of a disappoinment seeing all those shops but the Arc de Triomphe was certainly worth a walk over too. I thought it was just going to be an arch but it was so much more.

Monday . After a very enjoyable breakfast we headed to the Louvre . Again I've never really been interested in art but it really was impressive . We could easily have spent a day there but settled on a few hours before a lovely lunch & a trip to the invalides. Unfortunately it was a wasted trip as we chose the only monday in the month that it was closed . We headed back to the hotel for a well earned rest and freshen up before an early dinner , after which we took a lovely stroll up to the bastille and back through the beautiful , historic & delightful Marais quarter. If we went again i'd quite like to stay there .

Next day we headed off early to the Invalides again . Another jaw droppingly beautiful building that houses several musuems that are well worth a visit and also the dome church where you will find Nepoleons Tomb .
Pleased really that we couldnt get in the afternoon before as again this deserved the good part of several hours to appreciate all that was to see here .

With our feet aching once again we headed back on the metro to the Latin quarter where we again enjoyed a lovely late lunch before heading back to the Eurostar Terminal.

We only scratched the surface on our short trip and hope to get back there soon . I still have a list of must do's including the Monmartre district where the Sacre cour can be found & most of the left bank & I would love another trip to the Louvre . We have done the obvious sights now so it will leave us time to explore a bit more and seek out those attractions that are maybe not so obvious . If anyone wants to add any suggestions to my next list feel free . :D

Overall a big thumbs up from the both of us . Expensive Yes, but worth it , most definately. :tup

lyn x
Thanks for that excellent trip report Lyn. I was looking forward to reading all about it as I haven't been back to Paris since I was there on a school trip with the French department when I was 14.

I'd love to go for a short break with hubby but the prices over there are putting me off. I did most of the sights then i.e. Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomph, Louvre, Notre Damme, Sacre Coeur and Mont Martre (sp?) and believe it or not I can still remember being there :D

If you return you may want to take a ride down the Seine on a batteux mouche.

Out of curiosity how much is a coffee these days?

Thanks again for the detailed insight into your city break.
2 coffees were about 8/9 Euros shirley

1 beer was about that too or more if you wanted a big beer.

To be honest that's why we only did the 2 nights . Hotel was £295 euros for 2 nights (including breakfast) and we spent around £500 over 2.5 days eating out twice a day.
Thanks Lyn. Definitely a short break destination then rather than a week ;)
Glad you had a good time Lyn ..... and Parisian pavements are HELL on the feet; hope you brought comfy shoes! You got a lot done in the time!
Well no Paris was not very kind to my feet Alsa. I wondered why I suffered so badly. They wern't cobbled but they just seemed so hard under foot :que I've had problems with one foot for over a year now and I suffered quite badly there , especially after that march along the seine on our 1st day . Eventually decided to see the dr on my return and apparently have an Achilles Tendon sprain for which I'm now having physio.

Theres no way it's going to stop my weekends though . I will just have to tough it out :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.