Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Parque Bateria
9 Posts
Hi Sue, I love exploring new places too, I go to Benlmadena on 30 March and will have a look for you at the park.Will let you know when I get back.
Hiya Sue

I've not actually been in the park, but we passed it a couple of times last september and had a brief look.
The park is situated in Montemar Alto and is based around old cannons, guns and trenches, hence it's name la bateria...as in artillery.

There's a childrens playground and a boating lake, with rowing boats you can hire out ...plus exotic plants
I'm in the wrong part of Spain at the moment, when I get home next week I'll post you a link to a site with more info.....
this park is one place we intend to visit in detail, in June.

Sanji

edit for typo error
  • Edited by Sanji 2008-04-02 08:52:21
You tube have a video of Parque Bateria, not sure how to post a link but it looks very nice.
Thanks Christine and Sanji for your replies.

Christine ---I have just looked at the video on You Tube and it was very good, thank you. I hope you will enjoy exploring when you go next week.

Sanji--- I had already read some info and seen pictures on a website but would still appreciate a link to the one you know, when you return home.

Sue
Hiya Sue
You might have seen this link now, it's good for pictures, but the info is not correct.
This park is renovated in 2007. It's a tribute to the Spanish world war 2 soldiers.

Urmm, Spanish soldiers were not involved in the Second World War, :roll: in fact they weren't involved in WW1 either.....Spain stayed neutral in both wars, but in WW2 not in the same way as Switzerland because Franco and Hitler were fascist buddies, but Franco laid down several conditions when Hitler wanted to bring German troops on Spanish soil.
Hitler wanted to go into Gibraltar and seize it and Franco said no, and that he (Franco & Spain) could look after Gibraltar, he managed by the conditions he laid down in front of Hitler, to keep Spain out of the war.
The person who took the photos, well done, :tup but their history of Spain, is cr@p :rofl
http://www.tabblo.com/studio/stories/view/1070447/?nextnav=tag&tag=spain

However,the park has a lot of history, the land belonged to Doña Carlota Alessandri and the main road has the same name, where it runs parallel with the land.
Most of the guns had been ceded by the Navy to the Army in 1932,some of the guns belonged to the Spanish Armada"¦.all very interesting if you like that sort of thing.
I would imagine my hubby will enjoy a trip to Parque La Bateria in June.

Here's the Official Torremolinos website....in Spanish, but still some photo's.
http://www.ayto-torremolinos.org/web/labateria.asp?op=galeria

Edit for typo error

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiii
  • Edited by Sanji 2008-04-02 08:53:30
Hi Sanji
Thanks for the info and the links to this park. I had seen the second one but not the first one.
I'm not very interested in the history of it all but my husband will be, I just think it looks to be a lovely park to visit with excellent views out over the sea.

** Edit to remove comment on a website which should not be discussed on HT. luci HT Mod **

Regards
Sue
Hi Sue,
we passed the park a few times on the train, it is situated right at the side of the train track at Montemar Alto train station. On our last day (Friday) we decided to visit. We got the train from Arryo, it took 5 mins and cost 1.20 euros each one way. At the entrance to the park is an information office, you can buy a ticket for the rowing boats, 1 euro for 30 mins, very reasonable. Toilets and vending machines are situated here and at the far end of the park. In the centre is the boating lake with a fountain in the middle. Dotted around the very well kept gardens are statues and more fountains.The Spainish really do look after there parks we saw al least 10 people working there. The playground was nearly finished whilst we were there, the older childrens and younger were finish but just one more bit to do.If you need a drink or something to eat whilst up there, there is a bar and shop next to the train station.

This is a lovely place for a wander around, we stayed about an hour then walked down to the beach.
Hello Christine
Thanks for telling me details about this park, we shall certainly visit it when we go next month. It is very near to the second hotel we are staying at.
Sue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.